Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Yard Update 12/10/11

hmhausman
12 years ago

Seemed a good day to do a yard update....since I haven't done one since July.....man time flies when you are having fun and goes even faster when you are not having so much fun. But be that as it may here's what's happening in my yard:

Avocado "Monroe"

Satsuma Mandarin var. Owari

Mango "Extrema"

Pommelo

Mango...originally identified and grafted as Martinez but now correctly identified as Rosigold

Mango "East Indian"

mango "Julie"

Mangoes....Julie in the foregroung and Edward (tree#1) bringing up the rear in the middle of the mango forest.

Avocado "Oasis"...lots of fruit....lots of fruit down....lots of fruit chewed by the bleeping squirrels

Another view of Edward, tree#1 this time over Duncan in the foreground

Bananas "Goldfinger" (FHIA #1)

Hasya Sapodilla tree#2

Rosigold mango

Edward mango, tree #2

Thousand Fingers Banana Blossom

Seed dropped by bird or other creature.....papaya now growing and fruiting in stand of Jamaican Red Bananas

Arkin Carambola

I am embarrased to show it, but this is my scraggly a$$ Indian Jujube.

Black Sapote

Lemon Zest mango

Seedlings...jakfruit in the rear. Durians in the front to the left and Charichuela to the front right

More seedlings whch include Rambutan, Pulasan, Langsat and Garcinia magnifolia on the far right x2:

Nore seedlings...mostly mangosteen and cherimoya.....some dragonfruit cuttings and pineapple (thanks Ethan)

Lalee Jewo....a mango relative....brought to my attention by Murahilin and grafted with scions from Hawaii by Jeff Hagen....thanks guys.

Even more seedlings-----a large Maprang (courtesy of Jsvand5), some achachiru moving to the center (from Puerto Rico), then some smaller, somewhat poorly growing maprang seedlings (courtesy of Murahilin) and some more Charicuela (courtesy of Fruitguy).

Another shot od the poorly growing Maprang seedlings. More Charichuela shots and the larger plant to the far right is a White Mammee Apple seedling (courtesy of Murahilin).

Bell carambola

Hart carambola

Twin Edward trees #3 & 4

Kau Dwarf mango in Bloom...please ignore the supposedly fiberless sour sop (guanabana) directly behind that had decided to shed its leaves...for some unexplained reason

Kai Maprang......getting ready to push something....maybe blooms...but probably new leaf growth. He John....how are yours doing??

Bruce Canistel

Alano Sapodilla

Hasya Sapodilla tree #1

Dwarf June Plum

Mammee Apple

Mamey Sapote magana finally in bloom after about 15 years.

That's it for now...thanks for looking.

Harry

Comments (25)

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the update Harry. Nice pics! Hopefully you will be eating magana mameys in late 2012/early 2013. :-)

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Harry - how are your Satsumas, in flavor and sweetness ?

Rob

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

My kai maprang looks healthy but has not really grown much since I planted it. My Mayong Chid is doing really well. It's probably about 5ft now. Hopefully I'll get a few more fruit this year. I think mine is getting ready to flower. I think yours may be too. Tough to tell for sure from pics though.

I have been lazy and have not put up my greenhouse yet. I have already had a few frosts but it looks like the maprangs take the cold fine. My mexican garcinia and achachairu took it fine as well.

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

holy cow!!! That papaya looks ridiculous. Glad to see everything doing well, Harry, including you.

Makes me want to cry looking at your sapodilla trees :)

Tim

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow Harry, never a dull moment in your yard. Everything looks amazing as usual, so many blooms and so much fruit, during winter!

thanks for posting,
    -Ethan

• stuartdave
    12 years ago

Glad to know someone else has a crappy looking indian jujube. Mine is in its second year in the ground and looks identical. I have 2 and one has been pruned a lot but there is no real difference in their appearance . Could be twins to yours. Both grafted and bought at excalibur.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Very nice! I've had to give my indian jujube foliar micro nutrient spray. It's helped quite a bit. It's still terribly underproductive though :-(.

Jeff

• sleep
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pics.

I am surprised by how much blooming you have. Pretty dull over here. 3 tiny blooms on one section of a Julie grafted onto a Cogshall, that's it..

• johnb51
    12 years ago

How big is your property, and where are you located?

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Cool. I really hope the maprang does flower. Maybe if yours and Johns fruits he can drive down and you guys can have a side by side comparison.

PJ1881 needs to show a pic of his Indian jujube tree. His has grown pretty fast and is loaded with fruit.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Amazing as always, the Harry Forest....You'll be remembered as a pioneer at least to us folks here at the Forum, Harry......For us mango lovers, have you ever figuered out how many total months of Mango harvest you get every year from all your different varieties? I think many of us would just like to see how stretched out we can make production....so we don't have to "dry out" each year after we've eaten the last one....

:)

Thanks, Harry, for being so generous in every way over the years...

mangomutt

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Incredible Harry!

Keep pumping out these update Harry, we love them! I take my time browsing through them and dream of one day of having just once mango tree like yours!

JF

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

I've been there and still...incredible.

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Two words: Amazing yard.

• squam256
    12 years ago

Harry, where did you get the Oasis avocado and how is the fruit quality and production habit? I've never heard of that cultivar before and can't find any info on it.

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hello All,

Well it's obvious from the looks of the Jujube and the Soursop that you have No Idea what you doing or how to grow fruit trees! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I definitely agree with Gary, thanks so much for all that you have done for so many of us, inspiration alone has kept many of us going I'm sure. As always I could spend forever just looking at the pictures you post Harry, and as always, everything looks awesome! Please keep them coming.

Quick question, I have a Zill's Black Surinam Cherry that you sent me a while back and it is doing really. What is the flavor like?

• guajiro
    12 years ago

As always, very impressive Harry. Thanks for sharing!

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Great pics, your orchard looks great. I never get bored of looking at those pics over and again. Very inspiring! Thanks!

• carbos
    12 years ago

Harry, by the looks of all the inflos on your various mango trees, I'm assuming my lone Cogshall is going to disappoint again this summer. Or is there still time for this stubborn guy to finally produce some fruit?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carbos:

You still have plenty of time. Mango blooms are usually much later on most varieties. Your tree could bloom into February/March. Keep the faith!

Harry

• adiel
    12 years ago

Harry, nice pictures. I didn't know the Magana took so long to set fruit. I have one that is about 2 years old and about 3 feet tall so it will be a while till it gives fruit. Nice Edward Mango trees! Have your Edward trees always bloomed so early in the year? Could that be the cause for the low production in that variety?

Adiel

• swrancher
    12 years ago

Harry,

Everything looks awesome. Whats the Oasis Avocado taste like? I wonder why so many of your trees are blooming and the same varietes only a few miles away at my house are still dormant, maybe age of the trees?

Tony

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

Never heard of Oasis Avocados before or seen anything that looked like it? How does it taste. More info needed.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

How did the Lalee turn out? the Mango relative?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz