Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmylovesmango

Bit by the mango bug

emmylovesmango
9 years ago

I see mango in my dreams now. It started with one tree but I went nuts the other day and bought a coconut cream, LZ and Pickering. My LZ arrived tonight and I feel like a kid at Christmas! I want them all.. I'm a little concerned with it though, there are weird black spots all over it but it doesn't look like anthracnose and it isn't on the leaves. Anyone else have a spotted LZ?

Comments (8)

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Awesome!! Congrats on your new obsession! Welcome to our world,lol...I have 8 mango trees :o)

Keep an eye on the tree but I have had those black spots from time to time as long as the tree is healthy it doesn't seem to cause any real issues...IF you see ants or bugs(scale) or black mold on the leaves you might need to treat it...Good luck!!

• greenman62
    9 years ago

ive actually been bit recently myself.
    did you get them mail ordered ?
    Can you plant them in ground this time of year ?
    I want to buy 2, but, was going to wait till spring ?

was thinking on Glenn and one of these for my 2nd choice...

Gold Nugget, Ice Cream, Nam Doc Mai, Alphonso

would rather a smallish tree, but,
    have room for 1 medium size...
    and i have a saw :)

i have a Florigon (from seed)
    in a container about 3ft tall
    thinking of putting it in the ground.

I am in New Orleans, so, im not sure if it will survive.
    most years we only get light frosts, but last winter
    it hit 26-28F - 3 nights in a row
    worst in 20 years, but, it does happen.

• emmylovesmango
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Puglvr! Pleasure to hear from you, I've done quite a bit of research on mango recently, and have taken a lot of useful information from some of your past posts :). When I first got the tree it was dark outside, so all I saw were the black spots on the stalk. After inspecting it during the daytime, some of the leaves do have a black mold substance and I'm not sure what to treat it with, because I'm not sure what it is. I've considered pugging it (thanks for that one :) below the lowest set of affected leaves, which is less than a quarter from the top of the tree. I want to keep it small anyway, but I'm apprehensive to pug it now because of the season. I cleaned the leaves this morning with a damp paper towel and treated it with copper fungicide because it's been rainy and cool lately. It doesn't look very healthy and I'm not sure if it's transplant shock, and not sure if there's more I should do at this point.

• emmylovesmango
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wohoo Greenman, shout-out to another mango lover newbie! I have a couple of little guys that I started from seed, and one weird jumbo seedling that seems to be on steroids. It's half as big as my 7 gallon grafted Keitt now, and I just started it from seed a couple of months ago. The rest of my trees I ordered online from Top Tropics, Plantogram, and one I ordered from ebay. Super excited, I just ordered a Maha Chanook to complete my mini orchard (for now :).

Your weather is pretty similar to mine, I'm on the Gulf Coast in Galveston. My trees are being planted in planters right now, so I can give them a fair chance to make it through the transplant shock without having to battle cold weather. I bring them in if the weather falls below 50, but I do have spots in my yard picked out and I plan on transplanting them in the spring. I have tents to place over them next winter if the temps fall and am prepared to place heat sources if need be. I'm no expert, but I would definitely order them now if you have planters for them, don't wait to enjoy them! Just bring them in if it gets cold and be prepared to baby them next winter if you plant them in-ground (on those rare freezing nights).

If you're looking for small, have you looked at the Pickering? They're condos and from what I gather, super delicious. I ordered one of those myself. Up to six trees now and I'll have to space out ordering more or my husband might send me to a shrink, lol. Super curious about the ice cream but I read they're a little finicky. If you get one, send me one to try! I'll throw a coconut cream your way in return ;). Keep me posted on what you decide!

• blueboy1977
    9 years ago

Texas in the house! Im in Seabrook/Kemah and I got the mango bug too! I will order mine in the spring. Maybe we can trade some budwood some time in the future? I got hooked on blueberries years ago then figs, now mangos! :)

• emmylovesmango
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah sweet! What's up Texas! I see Floridians and Californians all the time and always wonder where the Texas mango geeks are. That would be awesome to trade scions! I have some rootstock growing now.. what kind of mangos are you planning to get?

• greenman62
    9 years ago

a bunch of mango newbs
    we should all trade grafting wood in the spring !

emmy, great to see a Gulf Coaster here
    true, lots of Fla and Cali people, i ever see anyone from my neck of the woods.
    jumbo seedling ? what type of mango was it ?
    i have several i have planted from seed, from store bought fruit. a few in pots till they get older
    but, i planted a couple in the ground too,. just to see if they would survive winter. most of them ataulfo

i think in the spring i might plant out 7 or 8 ataulfo in different spots in the yard.
    i figure even if 2 of them survive next winter i will be happy, and i will know that those are the stronger seed, and the best spot in the yard to plant.
    even if the fruit doesnt taste good, i will have rootstock already rooted.

blueboy
    i got the bug on papaya first, then mulberries
    now mango. and i just bought 2 blackberries and another blueberry
    i need a bigger yard and greenhouse :)

with papaya i do a few things for cold weather.
    1 - plant on a mound, raised bed, or, high point.
    2 - use a plastic cover for the roots in winter
    3 - LOTS of mulch
    4 - plant other plants nearby to keep the warmth in, wind out
    5 - keep it height restricted (warmer air near the ground)

i have papaya that went through 27F temps,
    so i am hopeful on the mango.

----
    PIC
    mango (florigon about 2ft+ tall)
    bottom - right

• emmylovesmango
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greenman your backyard is awesome! You definitely need more space! I just moved an entire walkway to open up some more real estate in my backyard.. it's almost bursting at the seams too. I've got dragon fruit, acai, mayhaw, avocado, lemon, mango, saffron (just to name a few). How old is your Florigon? It looks healthy and beautiful! I narrowed my jumbo seedling down to a Kent. Here it is at two months old
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg111410089170.html?10

I just pruned it down about six inches a couple of weeks ago and this is the new growth already.. five branches and nearly full sized leaves. My other Kent seedlings pale in comparison.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz