Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammysf

what are your Top 5 Mango varieties?

tammysf
14 years ago

it is so awesome that we have some members that have been lucky enough to no only try but grow so many different varieties of mangoes.

what are YOUR top 5 mango variety for whatever reason? it can be the taste, productivity, disease resistence, growth habit.

name them...

i have VERY little (almost none) experience but so far my top 2 that I am getting excited about would be my lancetilla and glen.

i have not tried them yet but they are fast growers.

hopefully i will have more to add in the next few years.

Comments (132)

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

1.Bizcochuelo
    2.Manila/Manilita( Mexico Yucatan)
    3.Madame Francis
    4.Haden
    5.Mallika

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

never heard of Bizcochuelo, had to google it:

A Taste of Old Cuba: Bizcochuelo Style

The mango: no other fruit has the historic association, or is so inextricably connected with the folklore of the great people of Cuba. Since the early 1700s when the mango arrived in Cuba from Jamaica, it has been one of the nation's favorite fruits. With so many tropical fruits and abundant sugar in Cuba, you can only imagine the wonder of the 'Bizcochuelo' mango of Santiago de Cuba, a succulent fruit that you can squeeze and enjoy fresh or as a milk-shake. There are several other races of Cuban mangos. The 'Filipino' was traditional in Cuba and later was popular in Mexico, and eventualy Florida. It is a delicious mango loved to this day throughout the region. The 'Mango Chino' of the Quinta Aviles at Cienfuegos, 'Manga Mamey' well known in Havana, or the 'Manga Amarilla' and 'Manga Blanca' (the yellow and white mango, respectively) are just a few of the wondrous mangos found on the island.

Not only is Cuba blessed with the mango, nature's candy, but its culinary dishes are filled with wonderful flavors.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/mangorecipes.html

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

I first try this legendary mango in 2005 in Havana and again in Barcelona Spain in 2006. It lived up to its billing......sweet as honey, fiberless creamy, juicy - the perfect balance. I was wondering if Harry or any of the mango experts have a seedling growing in Florida. Evidently, it's a regional mango from Santiago de Cuba and unique to that climate, ultimately it falls short it you try to grow it anywhere else in the island.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

@jfernandez:

I don't have a Bizcochuelo mango. At least, not called by that name. I would like to see pictures of the fruit....many mangoes have local names that vary from country to country even though they are actually the same cultivar. I had never even heard of it before this thread. I do have a friend that is Cuban and who is also a rare fruiter with may more years of growing than I have had. I am going to check with him to see what he knows of it.

Harry

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

Well,another vote for Baileys-mainly because it has real cold hardiness.Lets face it-taste doesnt matter if the tree's are dead every 3 or 4 years. Of,course what good is a Mango that wont fruit..but lets not think negative-lol.
    btw,Despite being tip pruned- it just kept that narrow vertical growth.So narrow I have it under the eaves of my old garage. At 6'+ 1' of plastic nursery pot it just about fits perfect.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry,

For those who live in the Iberian peninsula or plan on visiting Spain in June, I bought my bizcochulos in "El Corte Inles". They specialize in fruits and products from Cuba.

Joe

• adiel
    13 years ago

How about the "Angie" cultivar? No one has mentioned it so far.

Adiel

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Angie is a new cultivar here and last year because of our crazy extreme weather patterns mango season was pretty much a wash.

Jean Ellen I was told was poor by two different people last year but again this was during an abnormal season

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Joe
    How did you go about importing tree(s) coming back from outside the country?

thanks

Tim

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Tim -

Oh no, I was refering to the fruit.....I wish I had a bizcochulo tree but maybe you could find one in a Canary Island nursery. Perhaps Felipe (pikorazi) could find out if they sell that variety in Gran Canaria, he is from Tenerife.

• adiel
    13 years ago

I also heard the Jean Ellen was not as good as the Rosigold for "super" early season mango. I went with a Rosigold. I will post pictures in the future. Has anyone tasted the "Angie" cultivar?

Adiel

• adiel
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of the Rosigold tree. Notice the two rocks hanging to the side branches to promote horizontal growth. These new branches developed when I top pruned it a while back:

Adiel

• dannyduprey
    13 years ago

My Rosigold is still young. The first fruit I got from it (February 2009) didn't have much flavor. In 2010 the winter fruiting was light, and I didn't get a taste. But last July the fruit was very good. I don't know if a summer fruiting tends to have a richer flavor than a winter one. Maybe the increasing maturity of the tree makes the difference? There are a few fruit on it now that I may get to try in a couple weeks, if the pests (animal and human) don't get it first.

• sleep
    13 years ago

Like many of the others have stated, it is hard to make a list. But, as of now, and from memory, I would say my top 3 are:

1. Hindi Bessenara
    2. Val-Carrie ( tree tagged Valkyrie at the Fruit and Spice park
    3. Julie

My Wife would say:
    1. Glenn
    2. Mulgoba
    3. Haden

Daughter: ( 5 yrs old)
    1. Glenn
    2. Kent
    3. Mulgoba

You can see how much personal taste plays a part in the evaluation. Also like others have said, growing conditions, etc . Play a big role.

I have had some exceptional Glenn's from my tree, but as others said, it seems to taste better when rainfall is sparse. My Hadens also vary quite a bit. It seems the longer they remain on the tree, the better they taste.

I do not care much for Valencia Pride, and when that tree is full, I end up giving a lot of them away.

I have, thus far, not been impressed with my Rosigold, Cogshall, or Alfonso. Maybe it is because they are young trees and they were unable to produce quality fruit being so young.

I also have quite a few other varieties growing, my young trees are maturing, and the trying of new varieties will expand my taste base. This list may very well change as time goes on :)

• squam256
    13 years ago

Sleep, I'll gladly take those Valencia Prides off your hands. :)

• MangoDoc
    13 years ago

Harry, Can you tell me where I could get a Maha Chanook tree from, Thanks Joe.

jsvand5, From what I can see from your photos, and from your description of the flavor It sounds like a Jakarta.
    Hope this helped.

Here's the link to Zills. Say Hi to Lisa for me!!
    zillhpplants@hotmail.com

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Maha Chanooks are importable from Thailand. See recent post from OhioJay:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0314142720771.html?24

Frankie's in Hawaii has had them also, but may not presently.

I keep threatening to graft some to make my fortune. However time and very poor grafting success has limited my accomplishing what I intended.

Harry

• MangoDoc
    13 years ago

Harry, Would be glad to graft some for you if I can keep one for myself. Let me know, thanks Joe.

• rockmaker
    13 years ago

Of the ones I have fruited in AZ, my list would be:

1. Nam Doc Mai
    2. Glenn
    3. Okrung
    4. Kiett
    5. Valencia Pride

I had a Carrie that flowered every year but never set a single fruit in 10 years. Freeze of 2007 got it. Freeze of 2010/11 took out Glenn and Lancetilla. Supposedly 50 year freezes 4 years apart....

• mangodog
    13 years ago

rockmaker - I assume you are near or in Phoenix. My manila seems unfazed by our scorching sun, did the Nam Doc Mai, Glenn, Kiett or Valencia Pride need any shading in the beginning?

I ask because I have some young plants of those varieties in the ground....

mangoAfghan

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    12 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    I have been so fortunate in stumbling upon the 4 greatest mango varieties to be grown here in South Florida. I started out in Islamorada in the Upper Keys when I finally retired for good in 2001. I had a smallish lot but had a 50' x 20' raised bed already installed using railroad ties. ( lots of coral in the Keys )
    Not knowing a damn thing about mangos except that I loved the taste, I drove up to Ray's Nursery on Krome Ave in Homestead to start my search. A good choice, met Armando ( who was born in Cuba ) and told him my story. Only looking for one tree, my very first, he unhesitatingly recommended a Glenn. An instantaneous winner,..wow, was hooked when I drove back up 6 months later for my 2nd. Armando hesitated for only 3, 4 seconds before recommending a Kent.
    The rest is history, his 2 great choices led me to a Nam Doc Mai next ( the only mango tree available today that has been undisturbed genetically from it's origins 4,000 years ago in Thailand & Burma ). Then I bought a Valencia Pride, ( huge tree, huge late ripening, colorful, tasty fruit ). Thats it, I stopped at four but along the way tried a Julie on a whim. Bad mistake, even in the Keys, where everything grows, I had problems with that guy. Dug it up and threw it out a year after planting it.
    Am now in SW Florida and salivating on next spring & summers harvest,..content in the knowledge that I have four of the finest mango trees in the world ! Surely more than enough to keep this retired farmer busy,..but giving away about 1/3rd of my harvest has also made me many good friends ! LOL

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

i didnt see anyone mention pickering and cogshall, or maybe i just missed it, are these 2 varieties arent high on taste and sweetness?

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

@charleslou23

Its a long post, hmhausman wrote this:

" In the very top group would be Maha Chanook, Dot, Edward and Cushman...in no particular order. These would consistantly rate 9.0 or higher on a 10 point scale. After these, there is a group that, while not always in the top group, can, on a given day rival those in the top group. These would include Julie, Carrie, Graham,Mallika, Cogshall, Pickering, Okrung, Nam Doc Mai, Spirit of 76, Ice Cream, Valencia Pride and Southern Blush. These would consistantly rate 8.0-9.5 on a 10 point scale. "

I personally have not tried the pickering, but have seen many posts in which Pickering was suggested as a great condo / container mango.

So is it the best in the world?, maybe not, but it may be the best variety, if space is limited. and still probably 10 times better than anything found at a supermarket. I have not read anything bad about pickering.

• manny8077
    10 years ago

i have a lancetilla that dried up can it come back in the spring I cut it to 5 inch trucnk

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

If the roots are still alive it will regrow new leaves...have you checked the roots or you can "lightly" scratch the trunk with your fingernail and if the tree is alive you will green if its dead it will be very hard and brown in color...Good luck!

• Dexter_FTG
    10 years ago

My top 5 (in no particular order):
    Manilita
    Pickering
    Keitt
    Nam Doc Mai
    Ivory

Each mango is pretty much totally different than the next, but all are great in their own way!

10 years ago

For the record- Baileys fruited less then two years later at 7' tall of skinny tree. The following winter- Jan '12, it was nearly killed by a single night of 32f frost...something it had taken in stride pre fruiting. So,it spent all last summer trying to grow from below the graft. It was covered to protect it from last Jan '13's real cold of 31f..and did fine. Only,the '12 frost had cut it down to about 2'...and right now is a fairly bushy 3'. Without a doubt about half as fast as the the Baileys graft had been in growth. Or less.
    Its now Haden it appears. With the woody little trunk..its like a 3' Bonsai Mango. No need to get out any pruning utensils.

• rockmaker
    10 years ago

Well, the THIRD "50 year" freeze in the last 6 years last winter has me down to one mango tree, but it is just the rootstock of the Valencia Pride. I assume this is Turpentine as the tree came from Pine Island Nursery. Not coincidently, this one is planted next to the house. I guess I'll be grafting on to it next spring. Want to try Cushman and Ice Cream.

• demeter_26
    10 years ago

Hi Harry,
    If you had ONLY two last spots in your yard to grow two mango trees and you had to choose two among the three... a Dot, a Cushman and an Edward, which two would you pick? Sorry Harry, I don't mean to paint you into the corner but your answer would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm here in Hollywood, FL. > 3 miles from the beach.
    Thank you :)

• demeter_26
    10 years ago

Harry,
    I forgot to ask you > Are any of those 3 mango trees (I mentioned above) dwarfs or semi-dwarfs or are they all vigorous growers?
    Thank you.
    John

10 years ago

I wonder what Tammy's tree's are like? I haven't seen a post from her in a long time. I wish I had book marked her blog.
    And a young lady in San Jose had also planted a few Mangos...another that hasn't posted in a while.

• safire33
    10 years ago

Is there anyone that owns a Maha Shanook mango and a Pickering mango and would be willing to offer a seed of those trees for sale?
    Thank you.

• brandon1971
    9 years ago

Maha chinook and Pickering will not come true to seed because they are not polyembryonic seed. The only common varietes that come true to seed are Philippine,nam doc, Fairchild, florigon, Kensington pride, turpentine, Jakarta and Madame Francis. Below is the list but it's split into 2 photos.

This post was edited by brandon1971 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 14:59

• brandon1971
    9 years ago

Top 1/2 of previous photo

9 years ago

This old blog is stil going strong, and for good reason. 'Tis the season, so why not rehash our updated lists on the best mangoes we've ever tasted ?
    I've been at this now for 15 years, first in the Upper Florida Keys, ( Islamorada..zone 11 ), and now for last 10 yrs in SW Florida,..zone 9b. Have tasted 90 % of what's available and IMHO the best tastting mangoes come down to only three ( 3 ), and as as far as I am concerned, will not denigrate any of them to the # 2 or # 3 position,..they are all # 1 in my book.
    The Glenn, The Kent and The Vallencia Pride.
    Just in last day have completely processed every fruit from my youngeist 4 yr old, 12 ft tall Glenn,..just fabulous mangoes,- had more than a few neighbors & friends drooling over the 40 + fruits.
    The Kent was fruitless this season, but next yr will be different.
    The Vallencia Pride, ( couldn't post a pic for some reason ), at 15 ft, is also only 4 yrs old, - has still not dropped a fruit as of today, - am salivating over the 50 + huge fruits that will start ripening at July's end.
    Feel blessed at having selected these three, however have two babies just starting out at 5 ft tall,..a Maha Chanook and a Tebow. so maybe in another two years will be able to add one more to that list of fantabulous mangoes !!

• greenman62
    9 years ago

Jofus
    i am in 9b and am thinking of buying a tree from Pine Island, or another nursery.
    i read there is no difference in cold hardyness between varieties is this true ?
    and that valencia pride was a good choice in case it got damaged in a freeze, it would grow back fast.
    other names were Golden Nugget and alphonso
    alphonso likes a lot of water, and we get a lot of rain here in New Orleans
    i have a 3ft Florigon which is an early bearer

• chuckurso1
    9 years ago

Nice to see people close to me in! Hello to Jofus in Englewood, My top picks are

1. Dot- ( the new Zill releases IMHO will never match this fruits complexity)
    2. Himsager ( most would have it in there top 3 if they ever tasted it. Similar to Dot in flavor, with a slight hint of coconut.
    3. Edward- a truly superb mango mango
    4. Orange Sherbet- this fruit when on, has a rare and truly great flavor.
    5. Keitt (because it tastes so good and is so late when all others are done producing. Great on salads when your waiting on your heirloom tomato crops to come in).

I also have a 19 year old Carrie mango tree that I am using as the mother tree for a few of the new releases, I just accomplished grafting Pina Colada on to her, and will add Lemon Zest, Himsager, Peach Cobbler, and Dot very soon.

• billclaybuster
    8 years ago

i live in south florida for 34 years, my neighbor is a professional fruit tree grower, he sells trees, fruits,and i bought many trees from him,after tasting approx:24 species of mangos, the trees i bought that were my favorite was #1 maha chanook #2 jucy fruit #valancia pride,then a venus, then a sweet tart all fiberless all great tastes that complament each other when you have a large bowl of chilled mango chunks in front of yo watching tv! any way my name is bill and i just wanted to share that with you all since i live my life with them all around me all year,down here they harvest between may and mid september.

• dannyduprey
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Billclaybuster, I have not seen any other reference to a jucy or juicy fruit mango. Do you know if it goes by any other name as well?

Chuckurso1, as a great fan of Dot, you have me curious about Himsagar. Would you happen to know of a retail source in Florida?

8 years ago

Another way to get a top 5? Plant a whole lot of Mango seeds. The very best of what came from one type is so different from the runts in your climate.

I'm speaking also for the very marginal climates. I notice out of a few I started a couple of years ago,one is much more vigorous and right now is still flushing red leaves. In the SF bay area in winter.

• tropicdude
    8 years ago

@danny Juicy fruit is a new Zill variety I believe. Himsagar is an old variety that is from Indonesia.

@stanofh although crossing two varieties with wanted traits to create a new variety is great, is very difficult, you need to plant hundreds to maybe get just one that is a keeper.

There are hundreds of wonderful varieties, no need to buy 20 acres and wait 10 years, in the hopes of getting a good one. thanks to the breeders already doing that job.

I recently purchased an Edgar, a new variety that is a hybrid of Edward and Gary hence the name ED-ward GARy .

@billy You obviously know your mangoes, lol, maha has got to be one of my favorites, and although I have not tried venus, and juicy fruit, or sweet tart, I have only heard great things about them. I have a Valencia pride, great tree if you have the room.

Some other varieties that have tried that I liked a lot, ST Maui, Timour, Carrie, Kesar.

I hope to get another of those other "new" Zill varieties. probably the Sweet tart or Juicy fruit, heard they had very strong intense flavor profile which I like.

8 years ago

What I was trying to say is,in our very marginal climate,it can work to take a true Mango seed like the Manila's,Autalfo's Champagne that you bought at the market in a box of them..and plant those seeds. The various traits can be huge. I'm going for hardiness from the fruit that tasted best. Its a way of getting your own "variety" that can last decades.

And they don't take much more then 4-5 years from seed to first fruiting.

Just my angle on the idea of "Top Mango".

• tropicdude
    8 years ago

Ah cool, yeah poly seeds, Nam Doc Mai comes to mind also. I have planted Manila, Fairchild , and Taimor from seed. manila took off like a weed, vigorous , bet they do well for rootstock also, at least in my soils.

• greenman62
    8 years ago

this is my Florigon

i got the seed from someone in Fla a couple of years ago.

its growing very nicely,

but is getting large for the container. it will go in ground in the spring. i am putting it close to the house on a south wall, in hopes it will last next winter.

i havbe about 8 seedlings, most from Ataulfo/champagne from the store bought fruit, but, also have Neelum and Coconut cream.

i will wait till those get larger, but a few of the Ataulfo are in ground, in hopes of a miracle that they survive this winter... if one does, there is a very good chance it will survive the next few winters, unless we get a really hard freeze which does happen every few years.

the climate here is a bit strange... i would say out of a 10 year span, we will get 3 years of no freeze, ... another 3 or 4 of just hitting 29 to 32F, one or 2 hitting 27F and maybe one below that at 24 or 25F.

i am thinking on those days i can build a box around it with a frost cloth.

being near the house helps a lot with the bricks re-radiating heat at night.

... so ... to me, a seedling that can be 3 degrees F more hardy, can mean the world in the chance of getting fruit one day.

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you are Greenman going to have 24f,frostcloth wont due. In 2007, a Mango hobby grower had his little orchard wiped totally with those temps. He said frostcloth had always been enough around freezing. It turned out 24f was just too much to ask of cloth.

If you get 24 or 26f for many hours? Cover with plastic and use heating like spotlights. The kind for working under car hoods works fine. Fine tune venting hours needed,all the usual stuff.

• PRO
    Formoso homes inc
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have had several mango trees in central Fl since 2006. I would go crazy covering them every time the weather would go lower than 40 degree. I lost some along the way, when I was on vacation, but I will tell you that the lemon meringue was my favorite. I hear the new orange shurbert is a daughter of the lemon meringue and better.

The tree I love is the Glenn, and I also love my Kent, which gave me about 70 mangos in 2017, 2018 26 degrees for 4 hours decimated my tree, but it came back fierce and is fruiting. There are about 70 growing right now. I have a carrie which also produces a lot, however I don’t care for the texture. I planted a NDM, Irwin, pineapple pleasure, coconut cream, lancelita, madame Francis, Alfonso, and fruit punch this year. I hope the winters are good to me, as I love mangos for than life itself :-)

5 years ago

Just a brief follow up to my previous posts ;

Have now settled in here on my 1/4 acre lot in a 55 + park in Englewood. The " weather experts " now say Englewood is definitely in a 10a climate zone. No argument from me as it sure feels like it ! No more changes and experimenting with different trees, have wound up with four ( 4 ) wonderful mango trees, all easy maintenance, ... am pleased beyond my wildest dreams of 20 yrs ago. Here's how I rate them :

#1 Kent - Beyond all the rest, the best tasting mango I have ever eaten !!!!!!

#2. Glenn - A magnificent producer and taste is close to the Kents.

#3. Valencia Pride - A huge, fast growing tree with the largest mango's of all. And tasty ? All my neighbors are drooling over them every July.

#4. Tebow - My newest tree,...and like the other 3, a no-problem guy with large, yellow very tasty fruit,...just a tad less flavorful than the above three,...IMHO !

Formosa, hope your winters ahead are kind to you. Don't think I could handle the number of trees you have. We here on Florida's SW coast are spoiled rotten ! LOL

5 years ago

Coconut Cream seems to be the hottest thing on the west coast.

• ily68
    5 years ago

I'm late to this, but these would be my list,

1. Valencia Pride - love it.

2. Keitt

3. Glenn

4. Kent

5. Carrie

5 years ago

I vividly recall getting back in touch with my younger brother in Chicago after a long separation. " Hey Ed, would you like me to send you some mango's ? Harvest is just over and I am drowning in them ! "

" Mango's ? What's a mango ? "

So glad I chose to move to South Florida 29 years ago,.otherwise would be clueless as well, and have no idea what I was missing out on ! LOL

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio