Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon00warden

First mango tree- Los angeles

brandon00warden
12 years ago

Hey so I got this guy home on the bus cause this nursery kinda near me was having a 50% off sale .

It is a keitt. Is anyone else in la? Should I worry about protection? It got down to 37 the other morning.

Comments (57)

• adiel
    12 years ago

Brandon, congrats on your Keitt mango tree. Yes, the price is high compared to Florida where you can get a mango tree as low as $15. But at least you got the variety you wanted, and I like your choice. Just a suggestion, keep it potted and ready to pull indoors if it gets too cold. Dont fertilize it too much in the pot so you will not burn the roots. Then once you get warmer temperatures early next year plant it right away so it will not get "pot-bound". Congrats again.

Adiel

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Is that a 15-gallon pot? With soil line barely reaching half way? I remember JFernandez saying Mimosa pot up their trees prior to their 50% off sale, didn't realize it's this exaggerated.

Congrats on getting what you're set out to get, Brandon. If you're wondering, there is another way of acquiring grafted mangos for much less than Mimosa or other nurseries, though its collection is a bit more limited and you'd have to do a bit more work.

La Verne nursery offers grafted mangos for $50 through HomeDepot & Lowes, sometimes much less. What you need to find out is if La Verne has what you need in stock, then talk to your local homedepot/lowes. Find out when they plan on putting another order through La Verne, kindly ask them to call you for a special order prior to them ordering. It worked out ok for me, hope the same goes for everyone.

Tim

• brandon00warden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your replies. Adiel I would love nothing more than to plant this puppy in the ground but I live in an apartment and i only have a small area in from of my window( thank god I am on the ground floor). I just noticed many ants on the very top growing point on my tree...... I don't see any aphids I don't think they are farming. Should I be worried?

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hello Friends,

Brandon - Very Nice Tree.

As every can see, Mango trees are very expensive here in California with a relatively small selection. Brandon's Kiett was actually a pretty good deal. Yes you can find Laverne seedling Manila's everywhere, and occasionally some grafted varieties for much cheaper, but they are all for the most part crap, beaten up, and sickly looking, and about 1/4 of the size of Brandon's tree. So, he actually got a pretty good deal in my opinion. Plus if he ordered a tree online, he most likely would have paid more money, received a smaller tree, wouldn't have been able to choose the one he wanted, and would have risked injury to the tree. Anyways, I just thought I throw that out there because all things considered, I don't think it was that bad a deal, plus he is happy with his tree.

- Jacob

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

No-not a bad deal,its a good looking tree.Just, Who knew they cost so much? Maybe the success will drop costs..the more popular and with demand out of the super specialty area can lower costs here in Cali-nor or sou.

• brandon00warden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so i noticed some scale insects and i think thats why the ants are there. i have been removing them manually. is that my best option? should i even worry?

• mangodog
    12 years ago

I'm with Jacob - I actually ordered from Lowe's one of LaVerne's "special order" trees from this list they have - can't remember what it was and yes about 50 bucks or so, but the tree that arrived at Lowe's that I went to pick up was a sickly looking stick with the usual LaVerne high graft (2 feet up the trunk). I told them I didn't want it and they did give me my money back.

Yeah, the mango trees here in SoCal are expensive and not particularly large for the money, though I have purchased 3-4 plants from Mimosa and had a GREAT experience with the Asian man I dealt with. They packed the tree up nicely in the car, too. Yes, they do pot up smaller trees and sell them in the larger pots and call it half price, but so far they are the healthiest trees I've found around L.A., and with 7-8 choices of mangos.

And regarding the protection, Brandon, I definitely would put some frost cloth over the plant anytime temps dip below 40, the first couple years. Take it from one whose lost a few of them cuz I thought they'd be OK...and JF and I are of the opinion it is better to plant it in the ground NOW and let the roots spread before growth begins in March or so. We think it will give your tree more of a chance to really put out good growth this next year. As long as you cover it at mangocorgie

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Where is the farthest north that mangos can be grown outdoors in the ground in CA?

• mangodog
    12 years ago

hmmmm.....that would be depending on the extent of cold covers and supplemental heat in the winters. Don't a couple people have in ground trees around San Francisco?

I mean, technically, one could raise them in a greenhouse in any part of this country as long as it was trimmed to size and the enclosure heated....the challenge might be having enough heat (and sun?) to ripen the fruit properly -- - yeah, I think that would be the bigger challenge...

mangowerewolf

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Mura,

It depends on the proximity from the beach and elevation. The sunset zone map would give you a better idea. I think for good mangoes they need the CA inland heat. Good mangoes could probably be grown with limited protection outside, down to southern end of the San Joaquin Valley (between Fresno and Bakersfield). Most low elevation areas from Los Angeles down to San Diego would be the other good growing places.

12 years ago

Actually-there are some in ground Mango's in the bay area-Tammy for one,..and I also heard of a 12' Manila in Santa Cruz -and they said it looked good even after the 07 freeze.
    They have been grown in the hot central valley,in ground,up here at out latitude..but,they dug that up last I heard.
    I have two still going..one has had break you heart bad luck (2007 freeze,THEN last winter its main regrown trunk was snapped off-by cats I think),yet still is in ground and coming back. The other is Baileys Marvel...super fast grower in our cool climate (h60 low 42 in Dec-Jan)

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Mura

Mango tree gouging is a common pratice in Socal. Even though we have the biggest market - 7th largest economy in the world - in the United States, we can't find a mango tree cheaper than $90....that's pathetic! I would have to disagree with my two friends MangoDog and Jacob I don't thinks it's a good deal at all, we are getting ripped off!!!

JF

• murahilin
    12 years ago

One of you guys should start up your own nursery with more reasonable prices.

12 years ago

Well-Jays point is they are expensive in a climate(soucal) and population thats open to Mango growing. And,here we are used to Avocado's-Citrus-stonefruits- of all types, at 40-60$.
    Sticker shock!

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Wow, 50% off and still $90. Pretty crazy, but it is a really nice looking tree especially with it being a Keitt. I guess fruit tree prices are the one thing that Fl has on CA.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Before I would open any nursery (and I almost did in 1980!) with JF, he would have to prove to me that he can do one successful mango graft!

lol.....mangoslasher

• mango908
    12 years ago

I ordered two mango trees online from Mickey at Plant O Gram. They were both over six feet tall and healthy. The Valencia Pride have flowers on it now was 50 dollars plus 50 dollar shipping. The Alfonso, totaled 150 with shipping , is well over seven feet. They both came with a free tree over three feet tall.

I like the deep green of your keitt mango leaves. Keitt mango seeds from Mexico are easy to germinate. You can graft some keitt seedling and maximize your 90 dollar investment. Have Fun.

• shaanp
    10 years ago

Alfonso mangos on my tree last year. Check out the picture.
    I get mangos from my tree every year. I live in San Bernardino, California.

10 years ago

How's the tree's of everybody doing? This is one precarious tree in the bay area. Slow growing. I had the graft part of Baileys die..the rootstalk is healthy...but not the rocket grower the Baileys had been. Aghhh,I miss that.

I read that in soucal's coastal area somebody planted a grove of Valencia Pride,and is harvesting them in winter to local Farmers Markets.

• shaanp
    10 years ago

Alfonso mango flowers in my backyard this year. I live in San Bernardino, California

10 years ago

wow,I posted..sadly..that my Baileys was almost killed by a Dec 2012 frost,and here we are in March 2014 and its blooming. Knock on wood,but It wasn't too long ago I told my wife 2018 would be the next year it we will ever see it bloom. And I was part joking since I thought there was a chance it would never bloom again...or live.
    I'm telling you all..if I had the room,I would plant many more. What a versatile tree. Just more work to keep away freezes...the challenge.

• shaanp
    10 years ago

Here is another picture of my Alfonso mango tree. Small but gives fruit every year.

10 years ago

sharrp,Why not plant it?

• mangodog
    10 years ago

shaanp - OH, so it's in a pot...but surely the roots have made it into the ground by now ..... or not????

My Alphonso is in ground with lots of little fruits...let's see if I can find a picture...but by the way, it had NO fruits last year and 6 the year before, but this year looks......dare I say it.......?

MDog

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I too am wondering why you decided not to plant your Alphonso...the pot looks small to me? It should really take off once you plant it (maybe you're renting) so I don't blame you for not wanting to leave it there. I would repot to a slightly larger pot after you harvest the fruits late summer or early fall...but that's just me...its a nice tree you have there!

Wow, Mangodog, your Edward has grown so much since I last time I saw it...look at all the blooms!! Great job!

• mangodog
    10 years ago

..and a few of the babies....

• mangodog
    10 years ago

oh, pugs - that's the Alphonso in those pictures above....
    here's the Edward, 10 days ago.....

• mangodog
    10 years ago

..and here's another pick of Eddie.....like we know....it's a nail biting waiting game to see who makes it to the finish line!

MDOG

• shaanp
    10 years ago

Alfonso plant is on the ground. I cut the bottom of the pot and planted on the ground. Mangodog! Your plant looks very healthy. Where are you located ?

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Palm Springs!

MD

10 years ago

MD..you rule. Even those pea sized fruit are a great sight. I think PS has moved up to 10a. 9b times have passed since the 90's.

Shannp,I see your tree has an unusual double trunk? Was the original froze back? I see one short dead vertical trunk..and then the two new main trunks. Well,I think I see that.
    You might want to take off the one with the crick in it. Better now,then later. I know,ain't easy...

• shaanp
    10 years ago

Hi stanofh- Yes, we had heavy snow fall four years ago. It almost killed my plant. I was out of country. I had to work really hard to bring this plant this stage. Since then doing well, and gives me fruit every year. In December, I cover the plant with plastic. I seran wrap the trunk. Looks like, I have to do that every year. Yes, I will follow your advice. Thanks.

• sapote
    10 years ago

Mangodog, your trees all look so healthy!!! Please give me the secret since all my mangoes have leaves with 1/4 of the leaf burned dry starting from the pointed tip. What do the trees need to avoid being burned?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Mdog, looking GREAT!! Your trees are growing so nicely and are very healthy...look at all those small fruitlets!!! Great job!!

Shaanp, good luck with your tree...

• sapote
    10 years ago

I found Alphonso flower emitted a very strong mush or fragrant, as oppose to Manila with nothing or very light smell. I had cut off all Alphonso flower because there were black areas started show up at the base of the flower -- Anthrasnose? Manila has none of this issue.

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

THanks Sapote and Pugsy.......Not sure I have any secrets for you. Why they are burning the last 1/4 of the leaf I don't know....are you fertilizing? And how much? There might be watering issues.....where do you live? (I forgot if you told me)

MD

• sapote
    10 years ago

Mdog,

I live in 91501. I don't use chem fertilizer; only use compost and fish emulsion, and aged water from a big container of water lily and gold fishes. All mangoes have burned leaves regardless if they are in ground or still in nursery pots (Mimosa potting soil) or those shipped from TOP and I repotted them with miracle potting soil. So it's not my garden soil issue. Could be too hot sun and dry air during summer? But you're in Palm Spring which is even hotter and drier. Maybe I need to shade them.

• mangodog
    10 years ago

SAP - I don't know - the word I keep hearing is that these rich potting soils are not what mango's like. My understanding is that they LOVE just about anything that drains well. Also, doesn't the Miracle-Gro Potting soil come with fertilizer already added? Maybe with the compost and fish emulsion it's slightly burning them.

Yeah, no, the hotter weather does NOT burn the leaves, so I don't think you need to shade them.

Just trying to help here. All ferts should be diluted before administering (I hear) and that is what I try to do.....

Another idea - is it possible the root ball is staying a bit too damp. How often to you water? You could stick your finger (or a moisture meter) down into the soil 2-3 inches and see how moist it is, especially when you think it's time it needs to be watered....

The GoldFish water sounds good, but there is certainly liquid fish poop in it.....again, another source of nutrients that might just be a bit too much for your plant....

Any pictures you could post here?

MD

10 years ago

I think Sapote,you need to get your tree's out of potting soil and into the ground. ALL potting soils stay too wet and not enough air for Mangoes. In ground,all excess water drains away...the sensitive roots can find their comfort zone. Commercial Mangoes seem to come in various formulas of compost. None seem to be in any peat mixes. I grew them in pots until planting out.. Once I did put into a larger pot,and used a sandy mix with a local Botanical gardens mix..again,no peat just compost and grits.
    You have the climate to grow them in ground,the sooner the better.

• sapote
    10 years ago

I bought most of the mangoes from TT and followed their instruction to use soil-less potting material -- I used Kellogg Patio Plus and not Miracle as I mistakenly said. Most of the material in this Kellogg is decomposed grain hush.
    I tend to agree with Stan and Mdog that might be the issue will be gone when I plan them in ground. Here is the pic of the 4 yrs in ground Manila. It has plenty of mature leaves with burned parts, but the Maha and alphosol I just planned in ground a month ago have most of the mature leaves burned half way.
    In the background is the 100 gal Water Lily fish container that I used to water the mangoes. Yesterday I found a big red dragonfly was holding its prey -- something like a big cricket but lives in the tank water that I sometime saw but never could figured out what was it. I started taking some closeup photos and realized the "cricket" was just an empty shell which the young dragonfly just came out -- quite amazing thing.

• sapote
    10 years ago

I forgot to say when I felt the pots are quite light -- soil dried up -- I placed them into a tall bucket full of aged water to flood the mango pots one by one for 5 minutes. This could be once a month depends on the weather.

This post was edited by sapote on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 15:21

• sapote
    10 years ago

Maha burned leaves

• sapote
    10 years ago

Alphonso and Manila burned leaves, and all 3 are in ground 6 weeks ago.

• sapote
    10 years ago

Alphonso pic above: tree is near the white south facing wall reflecting the sun -- too hot and flowers were wilted and gone.

Manila below

10 years ago

The water from the fish pond isn't a good idea..too much mineral salts. Mangoes are not those plants that hydroponic people use on their sales brochures.
    I know that they are very sensitive to even standing water in saucers under them. You can almost see them drown in 2 days.
    Its not the hot sun Sapote,Mangoes in the Coachella valley and in the Dead Sea region of Israel thrive in that heat. They are sensitive to bad water,peaty soils,kept too dry in fast draining soils here in California. I can see you are VERY close to having thriving Mangoes.

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

Yeah, I just don't know what's causing that burning, sapote....maybe it's the water. You obviously have to try something else than what you're doing now.....

MDog

• sapote
    10 years ago

Thank you Stan and MDog for your inputs. The fish container is a 100 gal and there are 2 small gold fishes with water lily plants and so I am not sure why the danger of mineral salt issue. Could it be that the burned leaves due to I didn't water often enough?

Mdog -- you're in dry and warm climate Pal Spring and I think my climate is somewhat similar during summer. How often you water the mangoes in ground during above 80F days? every 2 days? My sandy loam soil dry off very quick -- after a deep watering, the top 1" soil will become dry after 2 days.

Thanks,
    Sapote

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Yes, Sapote, I water every two days since January, and at some point, because my sandy soil does dry out super fast, I 've always shifted to every day when the temps average above 95 or so. This year I may mulch more and try to do every two days throughout the summer, at least for some of the mango trees....we'll see.

And right now i'm watering with my sprinklers/Bubblers around 17-18 minutes every other day.

I mean your situation could be too little water too, Sapote. If your soil is fast draining, you'll need to really give it to them when you hit them....and MULCH, too....

MDog

• sapote
    10 years ago

Ok, I think we're close to the root causes of this problem. Here is what I did, wrong I think:
    1) too much fish fertilizer: I have a 5 gal bucket of decomposed Mackerel fishes. Every two weeks during growing season I took 1 gal of fish water and mix with 1 gal aged water and water the mangoes. This 1:1 may be too strong. I will change to 1:4 ratio.
    2) I was too concern with root rot and read that it's best to let the soil dry near wilting and then deep water. This practice maybe too stressful for the mangoes during warm days. I will follow Mdog and water every 2 or 3 days during warm summer. Also more water will wash out the mineral salt in the soil.

• sapote
    10 years ago

I just bought an Irrometer tension meter soil moisture indicator here, 12" length R tip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irrometer-Soil-Moisture-Indicator-Tensiometer-R-SR-/220554178535?pt=US_Garden_Tools&var=&hash=item335a0dafe7