Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (17)

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

second one is Calabash, and not sure what that sign means :)

Tim

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

Sign means, deposit bikini tops here.

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tim.

I was looking in TT website and saw pics of Lemon Drop Mangosteen could it be?

JF

• murahilin
    12 years ago

I do not think it is lemon drop mangosteen. Where were these pics taken?

• murahilin
    12 years ago

It looks like it may be a nance tree (Byrsonima crassifolia).

I have never seen the tree in person but the fruit looks similar. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nance - Byrsonima crassifolia

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Were these pics from your Mexico travel? I'd go out of my way to get some calabash fruits if it's grown here locally.

Tim

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Try to get a fruit from the 1st tree and open it. That way we could get a better idea. Could me mangosteen, could be nance.

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Fruit way too large for lemon drop. Leaves don't even look like a garcinia. After looking up what Sheehan suggested above, looks right on the money.

TT are f'ing idiots. I wouldn't believe a single pic/description on their site...even if it said "mango" and there was fruit hanging from the tree in the pic. I would still not trust them.

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

i second jay on all accounts

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tree is from a little town outside of Sisal Mexico, can't recall the name. I did not try the fruit I was too busy eating mangos, sapotes and other fruits.

JF

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

First one is not lemon drop mangosteen and wife says not nance (different leaf). Not sure what that is.

Jeff

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Looks like a longans to me, Dimocarpus longan. Not a well cared for speciman, however.

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Byrsonima crassifolia,nance

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Need to look up some pics of longan.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Yes....I think Nance is the correct ID on the yellow fruits....with all due defference to Jeff's wife.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

I guess it's possible. The nance has a glossy leaf - a bit like an avocado leaf. Wife cut her teeth climbing those trees, but it's possible that the specimen in the picture has a more sickly look due to different climatic conditions.

There's a giant nance tree at the fruit and spice park by the bananas. The fruit are delicious - very unique flavor. You can buy them frozen at the ethnic/hispanic markets. For a while zill's was propagating them.

There are some really neat nance variations from Central America including one with fruit the size of a quarter and another that has no astringency. There are also nance fruit of different colors (green and dark purple if I remember correctly). Unfortunately it really hasn't caught on as a dooryard fruit here.

Jeff

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeap, it's nance. My wife confirmed it. I had a smoothie or licuado of nance in Parque Santa Ana in Merida. It was amazing!

JF