Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmylovesmango

What is this? Help with new mango tree

emmylovesmango
9 years ago

The coconut cream I ordered from TT has a strange iridescent growth on the leaves. I'm not sure what it is but it looks diseased. Can anyone tell me what this is and what I should do about it?

Comments (5)

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Personally, Emmy, I wouldn't worry about it if it's only on one leaf....does the rest of the plant look healthy?

It really doesn't look like anything serious to me....are you going to plant it in the ground?

MDoggie

• emmylovesmango
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's on a majority of the bottom leaves. It came from the nursery scalped at the top, looks like someone took a tomahawk and whacked the entire top flush, halfway down all of the leaves so Im not sure what it looked like before. But thank you! Makes me feel a little bit better about it. Some of my trees from other nurseries arrived so healthy and vibrant, makes me feel queasy to see one looking "off".

• emmylovesmango
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh and to answer your question, this LZ is in ground. I was going to keep it in a pot until spring but we're having such a mildly warm winter so I went ahead and planted early.

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Unless you live in Florida, it could be a bit of anthracnose (a disease in humid climates), but without seeing a more close up of the tree it's hard to tell.

BTW - the LZ is my FAVORITE fruit of all my mangoes, so you did well picking that one (in my humble opinion...)

See what the new growth looks like when it comes out. If it's healthy looking then I think you have nothing to worry about.....there are sprays you can use on anthracnose if indeed it is that, but that usually does not kill a tree from what I've heard....

MWoofie

• emmylovesmango
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, just realized I mixed the LZ up with the CC in my explanation.. this pic is the CC but it's planted next to my LZ :). I'm really excited about both of them!.. I hear such great things about the LZ.

I'm concerned about anthracnose for all of my mango trees. We've had a warm wet winter so far, and my Keitt is coming down with an ugly case of it. I've been treating them all once a week with an organic copper fungicide.. As for the sketchy looking CC, I treated it with a micronutrient and incorporated a little fish emulsion into the soil.. hoping it will help perk it up.

By the way, I took your advice about pinching back my vigorous seedling.. it branched beautifully and looks like a bushy little tree now at 3 months old. It's been outside with all of my other trees and I haven't treated it with anything. So far it seems impervious to the anthracnose that's overrunning a lot of my backyard. Strangest little tree, I wish I could cross it with a superior tasting variety to carry on some of the hardiness. It never stops growing and even the new leaves are larger than the mature leaves of all of my other grafted trees. Good stuff.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH