Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

my new led light, pollinating flies and stonking mango blooms

lycheeluva
12 years ago

i picked up a great 300 led light comprising of 3 watt led bulbs for 325 from some guy on ebay.he offered me a second one for 300 which i declined.

i also purchased some flies over the internet to pollinate my mango tree- a little disappointed as it looks like most of the cocoons are dead and will not hatch- for now i have about 20 -30 flies in my garage- they do not appear particularly drawn to the mango blooms

the new led light suspended about 5 inches above my jaboticaba

flies on my maha chanook mango blooms

one of harry's unknown lychee airlayers looking like it will put out a small bloom

Comments (9)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice setup, you should try adding in some supplemental side led lights. Perhaps something like 45 watt panels, on the side walls. I think it will help maximize light to the plants.

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

Yeah really nice setup you have there.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Well done LL, everything is looking great. You are covering the full spectrum of light for your plants with all those different lights.

good luck with the blooms,
    -Ethan

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Amazing set up...as always. On the flies....do you know if the ones you ordered came from an area that is tropical...where the native flies would have encountered mango bloom......if not, they may be looking for dead animals, horse or dog $hit and may ignore your mango blooms.

Harry

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry, would you consider Idaho a tropical area!? if not, then no, my flies would not be familiar with mango blooms!

since I originally posted a couple of days ago, more flies have hatched and there are now about 1-200 flies hovering around my plants. they definitly seem to like my lychee and citrus plants the best- about 20-30 flies on each. usually only 1-2 flies on my mango blooms- they probably dont care much for the rather pungent smell. ive noticed a couple of smaller flies in the garage- cant imagine where they have materialized from- hoping they have come for the mango blooms.
    my sweetheart tree has tons and tons of huge bloom pannicles- if i dont get fruit from my sweetheart this year i will be so disappointed.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Yes, Idaho is tropical when compared to say....the north pole. I think there are some mango trees growing there with potato plants used a ground cover around them. Hey....I have an idea. When I send you some fruit, I stick some rotten stuff in the box that is infested with the tiny beetles that pollinate various of our tropical fruits. I think they prefer sapotacae and annonacae plants, but hey, they could have a ball with your Idahoan flies even if they could care less about your lychees and mangoes.

Harry

• nullzero
    12 years ago

lycheeluva,

Do you have a small/medium sized fan with oscillation setting? The fan should help with pollination and making the limbs more sturdy.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

null zero - right now I have a small fan perched above the plants blowing straight across the garage because i had read that air circulation was impossible. you think i should aim it at the mango tree?

• nullzero
    12 years ago

You want an oscillating fan, so the air is moving in different directions. This will move the leaves and branches around (which in turn will train the tree to create stronger branches) and pollen should be moving around as well.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH