Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

A Family of Skunks (On Being Bad)

Redthistle
15 years ago

I have certain family members (a pair) that always imply they can do everything bigger, better, smarter, etc. than I do. After years of this, it gets old.

Suddenly, they grow more and better veggies & fruits in their backyard. Until I mentioned growing these things, to them, gardening was never important.

My mother past away (God rest her soul) but I have a bit of her Scotch-Irish in me, and I'm considering buying them a couple of cheap ($3.95) pink flamingoes as yard art for their garden. They would die at the thought of putting pink flamingoes any where in their yard. I've also been looking at plastic skunks but they are $56.00 for a family of them. Probably more than I'd want to pay. The skunks seem more appropriate though. :-)

Am I bad to think this way? Do you have these kinds of family members?

Here is a link that might be useful: Family of Skunks

Comments (11)

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

I come from a somewhat snooty family. I think EVERYONE that isn't isolated on an island or a bachlor(ette)/orphan has relatives like that.
    I have a rule for what goes in my garden as far as decor goes. DO I LIKE IT? There you go. There is stuff in my neighbor's yards (besides weeds and grass) that I don't like but I figure that's my problem not thiers. We have one lady on the corner that has more statuary etc.. than plants! Another lady has 5 bizzion potted plants and a metalic purple Virgin Mary and a big ole shiny gold lion. The first time my normally quiet DH saw it he yelled out,"Good God look at THAT!" I did laugh. I'd never say anything to the owners even if they were my relatives. I think that's just good manners. PJ

• Carla
    15 years ago

I also think everyone has these type of people in their family. My aunt's husband was like that. He was so smart that he went over to my other aunt's house when she wasn't home and climbed up in her tree to "trim it." This was without her knowledge. He didn't know anything about tree trimming or apparently tree climbing. He fell out of the tree in a standing position and broke both of his heels. Naturally, he sued my aunt (the homeowner) for compensation. But he knew everything about everything.

From what you said, all you have to tell them is that you are getting the skunk or pink flamingos because they are now "in" and they will go get their own.

Carla in Leander

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am like PJ, if you like a particular garden decor in your yard, even if I don't like it, I think you have every right to have it. (I had to laugh at the description of the metallic purple virgin Mary though. Boy, I'd love to see that!)

I'm just sick of how these two people do EVERYTHING better, bigger, etc. I'll tell them they will hurt my feelings if they don't display my gardening gift I've given to them. I'm thinking instead perhaps of getting them one of those dress-up garden gooses. Have you seen those?

Now, if anyone here likes the gooses, skunks and flamingoes, I'm okay with that. To each his own. I just know my relatives wouldn't like these, which is why I want to buy them some. After all, I didn't get them a Christmas gift.

By the way, I actually saw a back yard completely filled with dressed flamingoes everywhere, and you know, I thought it was both funny and cute. I don't have the nerve to do that in my yard, but I actually admired those flamingoes in their colored feather boas.--I truly did.

Individuality rules!

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Oh, Redthistle, go for it! The skunks are pretty expensive, but perhaps a little revenge is worth $56! Personally, I'd go to the nearest nursery and buy them a VERY invasive plant, preferably one that looked and/or smelled bad. Then you could compliment them on the vast amount of purslane, skunk cabbage, etc. that they are growing!

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

We visit family every few years, for a week or so. other than that, we are 1000 miles away. That seems to work out pretty well. (smile)

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I discussed the idea with a friend and have decided (with their mature advice) not to do it. Although it definitely made me laugh at the thought. :-)

For one thing, they really wouldn't get it. And while they might put the skunks out in their garden for a while, they wouldn't stay out.

I can't change them. Just wish I could avoid them.

I do kind of like the idea of the invasive plant though. Hmmmm..Tall purple ruellia is awfully pretty... ;-)

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Yes, but the pink ruellia REALLY takes over! Also the native yarrow (white) and Trumpet Vine. Perhaps you could give them a medley of plants?

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

Sounds fun to me LOL. Even though I'm not the type to follow through with a prank like that, It is just as much fun to think it up and YES I have family like that too.

What would be fun too is to have a plant they want badly but is rare and you have it and they can't find one :) Yes, I'm part Scotch -Irish -English and Native Indian

• denisew
    15 years ago

What about if you put a couple of pink flamingos in your yard and then they will want a dozen for their yard?! But, what I'm reading between the lines here is maybe a little bit of jealousy? You work hard at making your garden as nice as you can and they do it one better. I would probably be a little jealous if someone kept "one-upping" my hard work. Or, is it that they are jealous of you so need to make things bigger and better? Maybe you should be taking their actions as a compliment.

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Honestly, this is close family, and I can't figure out why they feel the need to out-do me. Makes no sense at all. I certainly don't brag about what I do or even make it very obvious. I should know better than to buy into it, but every once in a while it gets to me.

What did I do? I didn't buy the skunks. In response to the "we can do it so much better & bigger than you can" about their garden/house/life, I wrote a Round Robin letter in which I made all of my children and my house sound like we were the worst of white trash ever. ;-) Such as: Three cars parked in the yard, plastic flamingos and skunks everywhere, 10 cats with hairball and spraying problems in the house, getting drunk, having the police called in because of our music, running around nude, one daughter working as a "wink-wink" cocktail waitress in a strip club, and the other on probation, unwed, and pregnant. I did not send this letter to "them" because they wouldn't get it. Instead, I sent it to my brother who thought it was very funny and wrote, in response, that he and his wife joined a commune and gave up all of their wordly possessions.

This may seem to many of you to be a strange response, but it made me feel so MUCH better. If they can top me by being the very best at everything, let's see if they can top me by being the very the worst!

• newtexangardener
    15 years ago

Red.. I was feeling bad when I first started this post, I too have some *ahem* relatives that could fall in that catagory... then I read your ideas and what you ended up doing... Great letter! Glad you found a way to make yourself feel better about the whole situation. Maybe you should make it your xmas letter and send it to them!? LOL

I have to admit, I laughed for quite a while at the thought of the envasive plants though!

Hope you know that deep down, they are really just envious of your yard etc and that is why they spend so much time trying to break yours down... and that you are just a better person than they are!

Have a great day hon and enjoy your 'white trash' yard lol