Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

Scary.... hope this never happens to me

mikeandbarb
17 years ago

One of our neighbors around the corner from us is having to have foundation work done on their house. I've never seen this done before and didn't know the type of damage it would do to the flower beds but now I see and it's awful with the way they've torn up the flower beds. It would break my heart if this happened to me. I'd have to find someone that would dig up some of the plants and place them in containers or something.

Comments (6)

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

That would be heartbreaking! All that work and time, for nothing.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I had to have this done a few years back, and I insisted that they "pick a spot" to do their digging to get under the house, and do all the work in and out of that space. They wanted the job badly enough to comply.

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Whew that's good to hear Carrie thank you for tell me this.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Foundation work. I knew one person in CA that had foundation work done.Her pipes were in the foundation and they broke. Here a lot of people do. My dad even wanted to do it on this house. I talked him out of it. Why? Because this is the prettiest slab I've ever seen! They say the foundation slips and slides as the soil here contracts and swells in our unique weather. Makes sense sort of...They connect the house to the solid rock bed.That kind of makes sense too. There is only one flaw...
    The Antelope valley where I was born is ON a huge fault line that is so big it's a mountain range. The San Andreas Fault to be exact. Most of the houses I've lived in have been through two earthquake disasters. There is pretty much seismic activity on a regular basis. The slabs have cracks and all everywhere! The slab for this house looks practically new to me. Here's the catch for selling foundation repair in CA. The bedrock moves too. Everything moves that touches the ground. They'd have to come up with "sky hooks". I sometimes wonder if these companies are for real. They also told my dad they'd have to remove any and all shrubs around the foundation that they contribute to the problems. Sounded like BS to me. I am NOT a civil engineer (obviously) and I really could be wrong! It just seems they act like your house is going to crumble to dust here from some soil shifting but in CA where you can't "anchor" to anything houses can be 100 yrs old directly on the fault line(Painted Ladies in San Francisco). What do you think? PJ

• remuda1
    17 years ago

In a previous house, I have had doors stop closing, cracks in the ceiling, and even cracks between tiles of the floor in the foyer. It's for real. That house sat on top of black clay that would get cracks an inch wide in the summer.

I would think it would depend on the type of shrub as to whether or not it could damage your foundation....but that's a huge reason that we don't plant trees too close to houses as well. My parents also have black clay and they keep soaker hoses around the foundation in order to keep the moisture more consistent there.

I had the work done prior to putting the house on the market. There's no way, after an inspection that prospective buyers are going to pay what you want for it knowing that they are going to ultimately pay a lot of money to do it after they buy. Just my .02.

Kristi

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We don't have problems with earthquake but we do have a fault line so an earthquake could happen.
    The problem with our soil does cause a lot of damage to homes in Texas. I have seen many homes around Fort Worth and surrounding areas being that we go to estate sales.
    Some of these homes have cracks in the walls so large you could put your hand in the crack.
    I would have thought that with a house being on bedrock would not have this problem but find out now that this is not the case. they too have problems with foundation.
    My grandparents home is on a bedrock and after 75 years it is now showing signs of foundation problems. The front porch needs to be replaced but this is due to poor work, not enough steel rebarbs in the concrete but the rest of the house has problems with some doors not closing right.