Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

fireant control

carrie751
14 years ago

FIRE ANTS

I just received this today and have not tried it as yet, but certainly think it is worth a try.

This is a new twist to killing fire ant colonies that I haven't tried yet.

For those not familiar with Walter Reeves, he is from the University of

Georgia agriculture department specializing in home gardening. His

television show gardening in Georgia is on each Saturday.

I know fire ants are picky eaters and any type poison that is effective

takes seven feeding steps before the queen receives it. Plus, if the bait

is stored in close proximity to any petroleum or fertilizer products they

won't touch it. Contact poisons that are on the market just cause the

colony to move away. A well developed colony can be as deep as 30 feet and

spread out some 20 to 50 feet from the mound center.. This has been

documented by studies done in the early 60's when they were first sited in

South Alabama .

An environmentally friendly cure for fire ants has been announced by

Walter Reeves on his Georgia Gardener radio program. Testimonial that it

REALLY WORKS are coming in..

Simply pour two cups of CLUB SODA (carbonated water) directly in the

center of a fire ant mound. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier

than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the other

ants.. The whole colony will be dead within about two days.

Here's the good side: club soda leaves no poisonous residue, does not

contaminate the ground water, and does not indiscriminately kill other

insects.. Not harmful to your pets ,soaks into the ground. Each mound must

be

treated individually and a one liter bottle of club soda will kill 2 to 3

mounds. Spread the word

Comments (19)

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Is this a joke Carrie?

Wouldn't any carbonated soda do the same thing?

• carrie751
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have no idea, Mel, just received it this morning and knew you smart ones here on GW would find the pros and cons in it. I am always willing to "try" something that "first can do no harm" to the environment. Come on everyone, tell me what you think !!!!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I'm not one of the smart ones around here but here are a few thoughts...

It seems to me, it sure took dem scientist a long time to figure this out! How much gov't grant money was wasted on all the other stuff they've come up with? :)

If it kills off the ants by displacing the oxygen then it will effect everything else that needs oxygen too. Right?

But only in that mound area I suppose... then the other critters can move back into the area and its only temporary.
    I guess other critters aren't in the mound anyway since the ants are there... so I think its at least worth a try. All you're out is a bottle of soda, and that's cheap stuff if you buy the off brand on sale.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Well, I will try it, you never know, sometimes the weirder sounding things work, lol
    Wonder what that would do to gophers? My luck the probably have gin down there waiting for the soda, LOL
    Thanks Carrie

• justintx
    14 years ago

well..............that wouldn't be as volatile as say - acetylene (cutting torch fuel).
    ;-O
    J.D.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    14 years ago

By golly, JD, I think you may be on to something there !!!

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

haven't tried club soda or any other carbonated/aerated liquid, but wanted to mention this:

Last summer, as I was carrying a huge, *powerfully* scented bunch of spearmint to the compost heap, I thought, "I bet even fireants couldn't stand spearmint for very long".

& I piled it on a handy fireant mound.

Two days later, the mound was deserted.

Since we'd have to dedicate our whole lives to growing enough spearmint to keep up with fireants, I'm wondering if spearmint oil, or other mint oil, mixed with some other liquid to make it go further, might do the trick?

• justintx
    14 years ago

I know a welder (not me) that blew up his yard trying to get a single mole.

sylvia - the mint oil (or just about ANYTHING else) would be MUCH safer!
    J.D.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

Not to burst anyones' bubbles, but this is what Snopes.com has to say about it:
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/fireants.asp

I've seen John Droomgoole give some programs and remembered that he recommended orange oil.
    http://www.klru.org/ctg/resource/Article/Tips_for_Fighting_Fire_Ants_and_Other_Pests/",/a>

• carrie751
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, every method I have ever used has resulted in only getting them to relocate, so why should this be any different? However, it is much safer than many of the other methods, and perhaps I could just keep relocating them over into the neighbor's yard (about 300 yards away).

• carrie751
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The friend who sent me this emailed me today that she used this method in her greenhouse right after emailing me in January, and has not had any fireants return. So.........just might be worth a try!! At least, it won't cost an arm and a leg to give it a try !!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Speaking or orange oil -- spraying it (diluted according to directions) where ever I'd see them certainly got rid of the little pharoah ants that had plagued this house for 15 years in spite of the best commercial baits and other things I tried. They were all over the house and I'd find their nests in strange places like in lamp stands. Now they are gone for good. Haven't seen one in four or five years.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

What is the carbon footprint of Club Soda?

• eskota
    14 years ago

When we lived in West Texas we didn't didn't poison ants because the horned lizards (horny toads) like to eat them. There are many kinds of ants there and we didn't know what a fire ant was. You watch where you step because of rattlesnakes.

When we moved to East Texas, we found our new 5 acres totally infested with fireants, and learned quickly about the painful bites that cause white pimples. And you watch where you step for a different reason.

We tried every product for killing fireants, but the only one that really worked was Triazicide (used to come in a green bag). Now the bag is gray, says Spectracide in big letters, and Triazicide Once and Done in smaller letters.

I know we've spent hundreds of dollars keeping these critters out of flowerbeds, garden, orchard, and lawn. And it takes regular "fireant walks" to get the new colonies. And they'll be back, sure as Russian Thistles!

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

Hmmm, my lawn guy recommended grits but not the instant ones mentioned in the Snopes article. Supposedly they eat it and it caused them to blow up.

Has anyone tried nematodes? they are micro organisms in the soil that eat fire ant eggs as well as grubs. Marshall's Grain has them for 19.99 a packet, enough to treat 8000 square feet I am told. You are supposed to spray them over your yard and water them in, they will move around in moist soil and devour the bad bugs (I forgot to ask if they leave earthworms alone). I would love to hear testimonials from anyone who has tried this before I go buy them
    Thanks

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

wantonamara: (teehee) if club soda is carbonated, then it'll likely have a high carbon footprint, right?

~ freshair

• grittymitts
    13 years ago

FINALLY found something that really, really works. It's by Greenlight...about 5 lb. bag (looks small,
    but is vacuum packed & goes a long way.) Cost just under $6.00 at my True Value hardware store.
    Front of bag says safe for veggie garden
    & it works!!! On 1 mulched flower bed they were so bad I opened the bag & broadcast the product all over
    it and along outside perimeter.
    It's been fire ant free for 3 wks now...Hooray! Instructions say to wet it, but I can't
    lug water or hoses over acre & 1/2 & works for me
    without it. Nope, no affiliation this company.
    I've used only half the bag but did see 3 tiny mounds yesterday, put a few granules on & when I went
    back out an hour later they were gone.

They were so bad in the veggie garden last year I gave
    up & let 'em have it! Best stuff I've ever used.
    Suzi

• mikeandbarb
    13 years ago

carrie, I use coffee grounds from SB's I know it moves them but at least it moves them out of my yard :)

Barb

• texanjana
    13 years ago

The beneficial nematodes work! We applied them about 5 years ago, and are just now seeing fire ants return. They need to be applied right before a good soaking rain.