Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Something to Think About: Quote from Chief Seattle

sylviatexas1
17 years ago

"Only after the last tree has been cut down,

only after the last river has been poisoned,

only after the last fish has been caught.

only then will you find - that money cannot be eaten"

Chief Seattle

What do we do today that helps to conserve & restore the Chief's, & our, beloved trees, rivers, & fish?

I never throw away anything that can be composted or re-cycled,

never ever use poison,

plant "plants" rather than lawn grass, which does 2 things:

it increases the production of oxygen & it reduces the use of gas-powered lawn machines (mowers, trimmers, etc).

I've even become a "compost wacko" to a great degree, wearing only natural fiber (compostable) clothes, composting newspapers, paper napkins, & coffee filters as well as the more "standard" apple cores & coffee grounds, even snagging other people's bagged leaves & cardboard from the dollar store to compost.

funny thing is the opposing relationship that Chief Seattle saw between trees/water/fish & money:

doing the things above costs me less.

What do/can you do?

Comments (12)

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

The reference is about Corporate America, who has for the last 200 years, totally ignored what was good for the environment, in favor of what made money for the corporation.

Today, even that isn't good enough for Corporate America.....as they no longer care about running a profitable company, that provides jobs and goods for people, but rather they only care about maximizing stock values.....so the CEO's can cash in on their grossly exaggerated stock options and golden parachutes. Of course, in the nature of power equals corruption......now they have resorted to "cooking the books", to achieve the stock values they want, rather than doing it through genuine profits.

By the time that the human animal faces the real issue, of population exceeding natural resources and food supply, it will likely be too late to save the planet, as the greed seeks to grow the population, to provide an ever increasing market for goods and services, which of course, is simply self destructive, in the long run, and the result being that we are within 20 yrs. of serious trouble, right now, while the politicians all have their heads in the sand, and the general population refuses to see the need for family size reduction.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I'm trying to talk my co-workers into letting me put worms in the office to eat all the food trash & coffee grounds.

Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Behave yourself! LOL! I'm organic and mostly native here. I recycle and compost. My chickens are a manure machine! PJ

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beachplant, you're an environmental agitator, I mean activist, for sure!

If they don't want you to add worms (I'd be askeered to, in case someone dumped toner or acetone or some such caustic or toxic thing into their container), just take the coffee grounds home to your own herd.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I don't use poisons either. Use good clean compost for fertilizer. I re-cycle, re-use all kinds of stuff.

But I don't know who Chief Seattle is, don't really care. I am leary of anything to do with the liberal whacko's of the world. Like PETA, who refused to help feed the starving cattle in CO, because they would wind up on someones table anyway.

I don't think condemnation of business in general is the answer, just as I don't think it wise to let business have it's way all the time either.

It is a balance. We need commerce to survive, we need a clean environment to survive.

We do the best we can, and that is all we can do.

And I had 6 live, healthy children, each of which is precious to me and I don't regret any of them. You can't give them back once you have them. I am not about to decide how many children anybody can have. That is a decision for each of us to make.

Janie

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I really didn't post it to start a political debate,
    or to provide a place to call one's political opposites "wackos",
    or to critique some organization's position on animal rights or animal welfare,
    or to argue about how many children a responsible person or couple should have,
    & I certainly didn't intend to either condemn or enable "business".

If I had wanted to do any of those things, I guess I'd have posted something on That Home Site! on the Hot Topics Forum.

I just thought it was an interesting message & maybe we could share our thoughts about conserving what we have.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Sorry Sylvia, I wasn't sniping at you. I said I don't know who Chief Seattle is, and I did not call you or anybody here a 'whacko'. But we cannot deny that they are out there.

And I was responsible for my kids. They are each and every one college educated, all are good citizens. Only 3 have children, 3 are not yet married. Those that are parents do teach stewardship of the land to their children. Where do you think I heard my first lecture on pesticides? My little 5 year old granddaughter, is who.

I just get tired of hearing about the CEO's bonus, and never hearing about how many people make a decent living working for that company. That CEO is in a different world from most of us. I couldn't care less how much he makes.

I certainly was not putting you down. I am just a regular person, just like you. There is no reason why opposite views cannot be expressed.

Janie

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

I love that quote Sylvia! We have that quote on a print picturing a lovely Native American woman. I find the theme thought-provoking. The changes needed to slow down and hopefully halt the destruction of nature and the earth has to start small, one person at a time. Kinda like Janie's granddaughter's lecture. Eventually, those 'small' people will head corporations...hopefully it will not be too late. I do conserve, recycle and respect (protect) the earth. I think each small contribution helps overall. Lead by example.

Pam

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Here's a link to some interesting background on Native American Chiefs. While much of this is historical, and unfortunately, associated with the struggle of the indigenous peoples of this continent, to survive the onslaught of the Europeans, coming to America, many of these great leaders, made significant contributions to the native way of life, which has always been about living in harmony with the environment, and with the other creatures of the world.

http://www.axel-jacob.de/main_chief.html

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

That has long been a favorite quote, I only wish more people would learn it.

I feel it is important to live by example, as much as possible, and to educate others. People seem to need natural beauty but only at minimal inconvience and cost. (Makes sense!) What we have to get folks to understand is that more water, fertilizer, lawn, toxins is NOT better. The message is getting through and changes are happening!

It took a year to convince my own mother, a fanatical gardener, to change her ways. She was reluctant because of all the "experts" that said to spray this, fertilize with that, and use X,Y, and Z toxins to have a lush, green lawn. (growl)

It wasn't until she developed a big brown patch in her backyard and I dug down to get a soil sample that she listened. (Of course, the results from the A&M soil lab helped!) She finally fired ChemLawn and took matters into her own hands. Her St. Augustine is lush, her gorgeous yard is full of life and folks in the neighborhood come to "the garden lady" for advice.

That's how we make a change - one person at a time.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I'm childless by choice. The world is overpopulated & getting worse every day.
    Tally HO!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jac, you reminded me:

A doctor once told me that his wife's ancient epileptic poodle had been doing very well, hardly ever a seizure.

Then the dog started having bad ones...

on the days that their chemical lawn care company "serviced" their yard.

Amen, beachplant.

I just wish there were some brilliant use for those dang cat food cans & for the plastic trash bags in which I get my mulch (other people's autumn leaves!)