Nigella seedlings

Yellow brumansia plants or cuttings

salvia, Tall yellow cuttings, maybe plants by then

salvia, Indigo spires plants

Comments (106)

• nbtonya
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great candespectabilis! Glad you will join us!

I hope to have the rest of my list up within a week or so. I have started planting out some of my wintersown plants so am starting to see what extras I have. Rather than putting up small lists over time, I will put up one "complete" (I hope) list pretty soon.

Tonya

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What's a child birthday party, compared to a plant swap? LOL!

I hope you will be able to join us.

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Right. My daughter's birthday was a couple of days before Christmas, so we had all kinds of arrangements during the years as she grew up. I'll just throw in some more things now, before I chicken out.
    Red Spider Lillies--I thinned some out, so I have 2 pots with 2 each
    Maypop, Passiflora incarnata--one only
    Blue Passionflower, Passiflora caerulea--one only
    Spotted Bee Balm, Monarda punctata, just one little pot with a few little seedlings
    Herba Stella, an edible form of plantain
    Golden Groundsel, Packera obovata, one only
    Climbing Milkweed, Funastrum cynanchoides--I can spare a few little seedlings
    Tahitian Bridal Veil or Purple Jew---I can always bring that!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Linda, please put me down for the Climbing milkweed.

Thank you!

Roselee

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Linda, if I have anything you want I'd love an herba stella.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Linda, is there anything among these offerings you'd like to trade for? All are well rooted in 4 in. pots. Fanicks phlox are in quart or larger pots.

Pigeon berry: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=RIHU2

Fanicks phlox

Coral vine

Caesalpinia mexicana (link with pix above)

Pink bleeding heart

Fruit cocktail shimp

Red shrimp (can dig & bring if anyone wants it)

Soap aloe, large plants: http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/aloe_sap.cfm

Two varieties of small agaves that are great in pots or in the landscape

Guinea pea seeds (very fragrant blooms and edible peas)

Plus almost anything else you've seen me post about of which there is enough to dig up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to see Guinea pea pix on this thread ...

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

trsinc, I'd like multiplying onion, if you have any left. Roselee, I've never grown the Climbing Milkweed before, so can't tell much about it, just that it has pretty flowers in the pictures I've seen. I wouldn't mind trying some Guinea Pea seed...thanks!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Okay Linda, gottcha' down for Guinea pea seeds. BTW, I have a lot of them if anybody else wants to play around with them.

So sorry to hear about Carolyn. I had her name on several plants, but I have no doubts that she's attending a much greater Plant Swap.

We love you Carolyn, even before we met you.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Sure, Linda. I'll bring you some m. onion. :)

• naomiw31
    15 years ago

Quick question - is this for the swap April 4 in Buda? Or is this Patty's swap in San Antonio? Could I get a date/ time for this swap? Thanks from Leander! Naomi

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Hi Naomi! This thread is for the San Antonio swap on March 21st at MacArthur Park on Loop 410, starting at 9 a.m. Here's a link with all the info...

Hope you can join us!

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio plant swap........ on your mark!

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Tonya.

Naomi came to our 2nd swap.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Here are photos of the Shrimp cocktail shrimp I'll be bringing in four in. pots so y'all will know what it looks like:

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Very pretty Roselee. Glad I am down for one of those. About how tall does it get?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Tonya, the tallest Fruit cocktail shrimp gets is my yard is 30 inches. In a warm winter, such as we've had this year, or even in a colder winter if in a sheltered spot -- it never stops blooming!

It spreads around from the roots making a nice big clump. It also seeds itself around a little, but is never invasive.

It's very drought tolerant and does well with part shade and a little morning sun. It's one of my favorite plants.

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Thanks Roselee, I'll be thinking about where to put it!

Tonya

• rock_oak_deer
    15 years ago

Here's the list of what I have to offer:

Angel Wing Begonia starts(5)

Honeycomb and other interesting rocks

Mini blind plant tags - some precut/some for diy.

Trades so far:

Kathy - Angel Wing Begonia for Indigo Spires.

Looking for:

Brugmansia - Yes, Dragonfly Wings got me interested in them.

Just about anything else.

btw - my name is Shirley, see you at the swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angel Wing Begonia

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shirley, I have a yellow brug, if you want a couple cuttings.
    They root easily. The cuttings that were mailed to me, rooted while in transit.

Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    15 years ago

Yes, Kathy. That's great. I have a flat honeycomb rock with your name on it. Looks perfect for a downspout.

Wildflower 101 - do you still have Mexican Feather grass? See anything on my (short) list you need?

Some of you have such nice long lists. My perennials are less than a year in the ground, so I'm thinking I need to give them more time before dividing.

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Wow, honeycomb rocks, that brings back memories! Patty, wasn't it at that first swap at Spicewood that someone brought some of those? I'm a rock nut, I guess. But I don't think we'll see the deluge we had that year.

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

I'm not familiar with honeycomb rocks. Those aren't the kind that float are they?

Okay folks, I think I have my "complete" list together....

My have to swap list (includes some plants previously listed so this is the complete list, so far)

*means let me know ahead of time. These are fairly common, so I probably wont dig any up to bring unless someone requests them.

For those of you who have already requested some of these, you dont need to "re-request". Ive got you down.

Yellow hibiscus NOID
    Lemon Balm (Melissa officianalis)
    Datura black currant swirl 1
    Datura double blue
    Daylily indiangiver 1
    Daylily hint of blue 2
    Cleome hassleriana (spiderflower) - white
    Lemon mint (monarda citriodora)
    Echinacea merlot
    Hollyhock nigra the watchman
    China aster ostrich feather mix
    Bromeliad NOID 2
    Mother of 1,000s
    *Mealy cup sage blue bedder
    Common purple coneflower (Echinacea)
    Black eyed susan (rudbeckia fulgida) 1
    Short Mexican petunia
    Tall Mexican petunia (cuttings)
    Cinnamon basil
    Tomato yellow pear 1
    Purple hyacinth bean vine
    Morning glory Scarlett OHara 1
    Soybeans
    Shasta Daisy white knight
    Hollyhocks single pink
    Bicolor iris (dietes bicolor) 2
    Maiden grass
    *peppermint
    *spearmint
    *blue plumbago
    *jewels of opar
    mother of thousands
    swedish ivy (cuttings)
    spider plants (solid and variegated)
    asparagus fern
    *obedient plant
    heartleaf iceplant (cuttings)
    Forsythia - 1
    Oleander (dark pink blooms) - 1
    maiden grass

I'll try to keep up with any requests on this list, but if you want to make sure I see your request, you can send them to me at tonyarose3@hotmail.com

ONE MORE WEEK!

Tonya

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tonya, it is limestone that water has dripped through for eons. Looks sort of like a sea sponge, but is gray rock.
    Unless you have lived in the hill country, you probably have not seen it. I never did until I moved out north of SA.

• rock_oak_deer
    15 years ago

Sounds like I should try to pick up a few more rocks to bring. As soon as the creek dries out.....

Here's a link to photos. I tried to put them inside this post, but they kept coming out blank with a message that the photo has moved.

The first rock is in the mailbox strip we are currently reworking. The other is going to the swap.

I'll keep experimenting with the photo post later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocks

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

That is a pretty rock and more rocks will be welcomed!

BTW, if you copy the HTML code and paste it in the body of the message it should work. I took the liberty of copying it from the link you gave.

Also I have a couple well rooted Manfreda offshoots if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manfreda

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Does anyone have Giant turks cap and can bring a cutting to the swap?

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Everybody, I just want to tell you that I have one heck of a cold going. If I'm not healthy enough to come I'll post on Friday night or Saturday morning. I've had this thing for a week and it just seems to be getting worse.

If I'm feeling just a little bad, I'll probably come but I may not stay for very long. I don't want to get anyone else sick.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up so you wouldn't think I was just bailing, lol.

I have trades arranged with Patty, Roselee, nbTonya, Brenda and Kathy.

Tammy

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Hey Tammy, I hope you get to feeling better very soon. Let's see, vitamin C, echinacea, chicken soup... Try it all!

Tonya

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Tammy, I hope you don't have that upper respiratory tract bug that DH and I had last Thanksgiving! It was pretty hard to shake off. On the other hand, when I had my annual physical the next week, still somewhat sick, my cholesterol lab results were very good!
    Roselee, could I have a Manfreda, please?

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Oh, Linda, sorry, I accidentally left you off that list. I've got a trade for you too.

Thanks for the well wishes!

• naomiw31
    15 years ago

Hi all - Naomi here. Here's my short list of "Haves" = email me direct at naomiw@austin.rr.com if you want anything. I don't have much since my stuff is just now coming up, but I do have some (I'll also have more for the Buda swap).

Land plants:
    Lambs Ear
    Bearded Irises (all yellow, lt. purple with yellow throat, dark purple with yellow throat)
    Cannas (green with red flowers, variegated with orange flowers, elephant - maroon with red flowers)
    Butterfly ginger (white)
    Grape hyacinth (muscari)
    Oxblood lilies
    Brugmansias (don't know colors - will do cuttings)
    Plumerias (don't know colors - will do cuttings)
    Agave
    Pink oxalis
    Mystery irises (don't know colors)
    Sedum (maroon)
    Carolina jessamine (can do cuttings)
    White/ yellow honeysuckle (cuttings)
    Garlic chives
    Spinach
    Climbing roses (pink) cuttings
    Wandering jew (dark purple)
    Trailing rosemary (cuttings)
    All colors and types of salvias/ sages (let me know what color you want and how tall and I'll tell you if I have it)
    Jewel of Opar (bright green leaf, not the dark green leaf kind)
    Blackberry cuttings (thorned)

Pond/ bog plants: (let me know if you want any so I can pot up special for you)
    Yellow irises
    Lizard's tail
    Parrots feather
    Water ruellia (purple/ blue)
    Blue pickerel
    Cattail
    Pennywort
    Variegated water celery
    Umbrella plant
    Horsetails
    Lizards tail
    Water poppy
    Lotus (white)
    Water lilies (either yellow or white or pink - can't tell colors yet)

Garden/ Plant/ Yard Art stuff:
    Black plastic garden pots - all sizes and TONS!
    Small fountain (three pots, one pouring into the other - about 2 ft. tall)
    Two red wrought iron heart shaped hanging baskets - very shabby rustic country look
    One hanging garden chair
    TONS of honeycomb limestone

Redworms:
    Anyone wants some red wrigglers to start a worm composting bin with? I've got some, as well as a little worm compost if someone wants to trade

Seeds:
    All kinds - will bring all of them

My only real want is a yucca plant with a white bloom - of course, I'll more than gladly take anything else too! But please - only things that will survive in the 8a/b zone outside with little to no care and lots of sun - I've got little to no shade in my yard and I've also figured out that I'm a lazy gardener and don't water as often as I need to and I need to stop getting plants that I am not going to take great care of. (Like the plumerias - too much work for me!)

ALthough Patty - I'd love to get a large pink rain lily from you!

Thanks!
    Naomi

• naomiw31
    15 years ago

OK - I've looked through the lists, and now my wants are taking over. So here goes:

Tonya - can I get a plumbago, goldstrum and spearmint from you? (Will also email you)

Roselee: Could I also get a fruit cocktail shrimp plant and a yellow mexican bird of paradise? I have some succulents/ agaves for you if you like.

Patty: Could I also get a white crinum seedling from you?

Just remembered more "haves":
    Red and pink/white amaryllis (just a couple of each)
    Wood violet
    Paperwhite narcissus (I think)
    Christmas cactus (that needs a better home)

Thanks!
    Naomi

• naomiw31
    15 years ago

OK - one more - Roselee, I think I can get some turk's cap for you. I had a bunch and was trying to get rid of it, but it keeps coming back. Let me see if there are any errant ones around. And this is really it for now!

Naomi

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Gotcha' down for the Manfreda, Linda. As you probably know, it is really an interesting plant that shoots up a five foot tall greenish bloom. You know me - I've got a picture somewhere ...

Thank you Naomi and is that the Giant turks cap? That's the one I'm wanting. And I have you down for the Fruit cocktail shrimp and Mexican yellow bird of paradise that I linked a picture to in one of the threads.

No one has mentioned wanting Soap aloes. I won't bring the big ones if no one speaks for them. But I have some babies I can easily bring.

• naomiw31
    15 years ago

Roselee - I'm not sure of the difference between regular turks cap and giant turks cap. All I know is this one was here when we bought the house. At the time I thought it was a shrimp plant (i didn't know any better), but I think i remember the blooms pointing up - is that one of the distinguishing characteristics?

And I'd love a soap aloe or two. Can they be planted outside, or do they need to be in a pot and protected?

Thanks!
    Naomi

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Naomi, not sure if the tropical giant turk's cap blooms points up or not, but I know it gets to be a VERY large bush. What sparked my interest in them is that Omar in San Marcos said one bloomed all winter in a pot on his front porch. He just emailed me this morning that he is coming to the swap so I'll ask him to bring me a cutting or two.

The soap aloes do great in the ground in San Antonio and bloom year round in a warm winter. The tips of the plant might get nipped a little, but they soon grow more 'leaves' (or whatever they are called on aloes and agave type plants.) A winter with 5 degree temps might do them in, but we haven't had one of those in a while -- not in a long while! I'll bring you a couple of plants.

See y'all soon.

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Naomi, I'd like some of your worm compost, if you don't mind. I do have one Twist-leaf Yucca, if you'd like that one, or check my lists.

• Vulture61
    15 years ago

Giant Turk's cap flowers point down. It's a great shade plant. Mine is in a huge pot and it reaches more than 10'.I'm taking some cuttings to the swap. I'm also taking cuttings of yellow climbing rose, empty pots, 1 banana pup, 2 starts of canna "The President" and seedlings of Euphorbia marginata (native shrub.See link). I'm looking for Oxalys, croscomias other than orange and hardy water lilies.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia marginata

• brenda55
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, my daughter's oral surgery has been rescheduled to tomorrow and I will have to be home with her and DGD all weekend. DD wanted to wait because she knew I wanted to do the plant swap, but if she did, it would put her into May having it done and I didn't want her to wait that long.

So, many thanks for including me and Tammy thank you for inviting me, but I'll have to back out. Come fall, I hope to meet you then.

Brenda

• rock_oak_deer
    15 years ago

I would like some short Mexican Petunia if it is still available. I think I saw that on a list.

I'm new so my list is really short:

I am bringing Angel Wing Begonia, tons of plant tags from mini blinds, and honeycomb rocks. I took a look around and found my variegated Potato Vine is sprouting, so can bring a cutting or two of that. It's a really pretty combo of green, pink, and white. I also have a very tiny shoot of Zebra Grass.

Shirley

Here is a link that might be useful: Zebra Grass

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Hi Shirley,

I have some short Mexican Petunia that I will put your name on.

Tonya

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Just found two upright ruffled edge elephant ear bulbs I had set aside weeks ago. Who whats one?

Since Naomi wanted Soap aloes I hauled several large ones out of the compost pile. They are still pretty and green and fixin' to bloom! This is one hardy easy plant! Blooms in sun or shade and winter too -- if it's a warm one like last winter. I'll have a few small ones too.

I'll have several Pigeon berry and Fanick's phlox that no one has spoken for and a few other odd and ends including a miniature weeping crape myrtle that never did much for me (probably not enough sun) so will let someone else give it a chance. A Talinum came up in the same pot along with a mystery plant that needs an ID.

Well, got all y'alls stuff labeled and put in boxes. See you Saturday -- at our happy sappy S.A.P.S :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Thought I'd repost this as a reminder so you won't forget to bring a lunch and something to drink, mark the plants you are bringing with their names, have some boxes to take your plants home in, a note pad for taking notes on culture, as well as good plant swapping etiquette.

Hints, Etiquette, and Other Stuff

Posted by castro_gardener 8b (My Page) on Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 10:14

Hello All ! Just a few reminders that will help us all have a nicer swap experience. After 10 years of hostessing and attending these swaps I've learned a lot from others.
    When you arrive, please seek out the hostess if we don't greet you first. Especially if you haven't been before. Any of us will help you with any questions you might have. Get a name tag, sign up for door prizes, and if we have one, sign the list for future notifications of swaps.

Don't forget to bring a sack lunch. We'll need sustenance for continued swapping !

We will have door prizes. If you'd like to donate to our stash, please bring a new or gently used gardening item. We usually include things like fertilizer, gloves, tools, outdoor decorations, books, etc.

Garden Junk and Garden Art is also welcome for trading. Hoses, trellises, rusty buckets, signs, you name it ! We've had people bring homemade soap, mosaic pots, and other great items.

We welcome donations to help pay for the rental of the pavilion. Although it is voluntary, please consider that you're leaving the swap with plants that would have cost so much more at a nursery. A few dollars in the jar will go far to help us rent this nice pavilion in the fall.

You may consider bringing cardboard boxes to haul home your booty. You may end up taking home more than you bring, and it's not always easy to get it all back in your car. Packing in boxes will allow you to stack them and keep your plants safe.

Bring something to use for labeling the plants you receive. Old window blinds are excellent for this purpose ! They last forever and they're kept out of landfills.

On that note, please label your plants for others. It saves a lot of time at the swap. You don't have to tell everyone what each plant is, since they already have names on them.

Another helpful hint, which takes more time, but is great to have: consider putting a notebook together of your plants. Add pictures and descriptions of each plant you bring. Over time, you can add to it as you accumulate different types of plants. This also saves time at the swap. Others can view your notebook to see what a certain plant will look like.

While swapping, please don't take plants off other's tables without asking. They may be across the room promising that same plant to someone else. Please find the owner and ask permission. Everyone's different, of course, and may bid you take whatever you like. But it's good to err on the side of caution, and ask anyway.

Plants under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home.

Some plants are special and rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping 10 years later !!

If you can't make the San Antonio swap, consider the swap just up the road in Buda in April. I'll be there, too.

patty

• rock_oak_deer
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Tonya.

Look forward to meeting you.

Shirley

• naomiw31
    15 years ago

Linda - I'll bring some worm compost for you and I'd love a twist leaf yucca and some bulbine if you have any left (the deer ate all mine)
    Omar - I have some pink oxalis and water lilies for you
    Roselee - I'd love a ruffled elephant ear bulb

I'll be driving in from Leander, so I may not be there right at nine, but I'll get there as soon as I can so save me some cake, Tonya. :-)

See you all in a couple of days!

Naomi

• Vulture61
    15 years ago

Ok. Thanks, Naomi. What would you like from my haves? You know what? Never mind, I do have something special for you. You'll love it.

I have 6 huge 100 gallon plastic black pots. Any takers? (giant turk's caps would grow nicely in them...)

See y'all tomorrow.

Omar

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Naomi, I can bring you both. That's funny...my friend Sheila (who is also coming to the swap tomorrow) said the same thing last week about the deer eating hers! Guess I shouldn't have planted one piece of my bulbine out by the driveway when I dug up a big bunch . Oh well! I had only had it inside my fenced yard before and didn't know.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Just wanted to tell you all that I'm feeling better so I'll see you in the a.m. I'm a couple hours away, so I probably won't get there until 10:30 or so.

See ya soon. :-)

• Vulture61
    15 years ago

I just wanted to thank everybody who attended the swap. It was fun.

Roselee, your trees are already in the ground.

Roselee and Naomi, check the link below for more information about your purple loosestrife. I thought it was a lysimachia but it turned out to be Lythrum salicaria. The other little plant I gave you is variegated Oenanthe.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Lythum salicaria

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Yes, it was fun!! Thanks to everyone for the lovely plants.

We missed you Kathy. I hope your loved one (was it a pooch or a human? - can't remember) gets to feeling better soon.

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

I had a great time, too. Thanks to everyone for your swaps. DH was a bit surprised when he came back to pick me up. He wasn't sure he could fit everything in the Surburban, but he managed! Looking forward to the fall swap and seeing y'all again!

Tonya