Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Christmas is over, and spring is in the air.

honeybunny2 Fox
17 years ago

I have just spend 4 hours packing my christmas decorations away. I wish the stores would stop tempting me after Chrismas, into buying more decorations. I always have to go and buy another box just to store stuff for next year. It seems to take twice as long to undecorate, then it did to decorate, or maybe my hearts just not into it. I still have to put up my Christmas Village, or as my husband says, my Christmas city, he says it has two zip codes. I think I have done enought packing for today, and want to go to Millburgs nursery to shop for spring plants. I heard it is really nice, I have never been there. My hubby is at the deer lease, so I have time to mill around without having to rush. I'll let you know what I find there, I hope its as nice as Schmauchers use to be, shucks, I might just drive up there too. I am getting excited just thinking about spring.

Comments (21)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I found some stuff on sale after Christmas. I unloaded some stuff too. Your DH sounds really funny. That must be a big ole village!
    I love spring too. I'm concentrating on a particular bed for another wildflower set up. I can't wait to see my new collection of wildflowers come up. It should be really neat! PJ

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I started to drive over to Millbergs Nursery, but on the way I remembered what Bob Webster said about where to go and get unusual plants. I ended up at Fanicks Nursery, and got 3- 6 packs of Bunny Bloom larkspurs, maroon bluebonnets, and rocket snapdragons. I am very excited.
    PJ, how do you control the size of the plant when you do wildflowers? Do you let them come up and then move them around, or do you just let them stay were they come up?

• janet_w
    17 years ago

I hate decorating and un decorating the tree. The kids use to love doing it every year when they were younger but when they got older it was like do we really need a tree. Well yeah we do so about 6 yrs ago I had hubby fix the tree to a board with wheels. The Christmas tree stays up and decorated year around I just roll it in a closet. From time to time I rotate the decorations to ones we haven't used in a while lol. When I want to set it up I roll it out of the closet take off the plastic and plug it in and it's ready to go. My hubby says that's the red neck in me. If it works why fix it if it's not broken rightÂ. I think everyone has a Christmas city with all the houses etc we set out each yr. I have so many I have to rotate these too otherwise I don't have the room to set them all out at once.

I've spent all this week getting things ready to winter sow to get ready for spring. My office looks like a mad scientist laboratory right now with containers like milk jugs, newspaper pots, nursery pots etc sitting in creates with labels. All I have to do now is fill with soil plant the seeds cover with plastic set it out side and wait. I'm planting in almost 500 containers so hopefully I will have lots to trade come spring.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Do not be decieved that it is Spring already. Texas weather was designed as a punishment for some terrible wrong-doing, I think.

One minute you are gloriously happy, planting little plants in the warm sunshine, the next thing you know, it is 22 degrees out, and you are worrying about your new-planted baby plants.

The nurseries know it is too early for just about evrything. They are going to make that $$, then make it again when you come to buy after the freeze.

Sorry to be a grinch.

Janie, who is aggravated we have no nursery to buy from!

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Barbra,

When you come down here to Rockport next time, I'll probably still have my Christmas trees up. I've got a real 3' one on the front picnic table and a fake 3' in my dining room. And since I'm leaving for Baltimore tomorrow for Zoë's (my granddaughter) surgery, and I'm not planning on being back until the 13th, they will probably be up for a while. But they are so pretty so I don't care. So if you are around, check out my trees.

Also, speaking of Christmas decorations, Shop the World, over on highway 35 across from Tackle Town, is having a 50% off sale on holiday decorations. They have some nice ones.

See you the week you are here in Rockport.

Janie,

You are not a grinch. You are just speaking the truth. I remember back in March 2002, we had two, not one, but two hard, late freezes that really messed everything up for us, i.e. we were planning our MG Hidden Gardens Tour for April and had to cancel it since everything had frozen!

What about Earthworks in Victoria?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, I sent an email to you on Friday, we are coming down this Friday, the 12th, and staying until Monday the 15th. Hope to see you, when you get back. Will be praying that all goes will with your granddaughters surgery.
    Janet, I love your Christmas tree idea, I wish I had room to do that. What a great idea! My Christmas Village, reminds me of my childhood. I only keep the houses I love, and have no problem replacing a house with something I like better. I pick stores that remind me of the stores I use to visit in Falls City, and San Antonio, when I was a small child. Sometimes I just light it up, and sit in front, and just stare at it. I think it brings down my blood pressure.

• janet_w
    17 years ago

Hunnybunny we didn't have the closet space for it either till hubby built me a closet on my back porch to hold all the Christmas stuff. It sure beat's walking out to the shed in the cold to get it. All I have to do now is step out the back door slide the Christmas boxes into the utility room and go form there and I stay warm and dry.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Barbra,

Yes, I got your email and am planning on responding to it today, but here you are! I'll be back on Saturday afternoon, so hope to see you.

Linda

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Honeybunny,Control in my garden! LOLOLOL!Texas weeds are so tenacious the only thing that I've found that holds them at bay is the wildflowers. I solarized,put down cardboard then mulched...and the weeds still came up in the perenial beds! I couldn't believe it! My wildflower beds got very few weeds that were easy to pull. I love them for that! Even when they go dormant and don't look as tidyor as pretty as perenials the weeds still can't get a foothold in the beds. I'm probably the only person here that is going to do things backwards. I'm going to create raised beds (high maintenance) that are small for the plants that need babying that I just have to have. The rest is going to be wildflowers. Perenial or annual. The more aggressive the better! Aggressive flowers but on a low maintenance show that is low weed,low water and low maintenance. They like shade or sun and mixed togethter they look fantastic to me. They can spread all over too! I don't care for sod so a solid meadow would work just fine. I also have a bog/water garden that I'm going to fill with Cannas,Louisiana Iris,pokeweed,Ruellia,Moonflowervines, and Max sunflowers. I will have a bucket with a pump for my water lily. I will also have a small,raised veggie garden. The wildflowers/native plants protect veggies with thier overabundance of predatory insects. Birds also like to hang out and eat bugs and seeds too. The only aggressive stuff I avoid (smother everything totally) are aggressive,large vines that are perenial. Perenial Morning Glory,Trumpet Vine,Wisteria,Jap/Chinese honeysuckles and a couple others. I have aggressive annuals that die back. I also avoid non-native trees. PJ

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ, do you like agressive ground covers, or just agressive flowers? I have a beautiful ground cover, that is agressive, I do not know its name, but it is mauve, and green, and really pretty. It loves the sun, doesn't require much water. I bought it 27 years ago, and it is still one of my favorites. When are you coming to see the Alamo? Barbra,

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I like both aggressive groundcovers or flowers as long as they are native. Do you know the name of your ground cover? I have horse herb,frog's fruit and dayflower going now. Also, I'm in zone 7b y'all are a lot warmer in winter!
    I saw the Alamo when I was a kid. I should probably see it again sometime when I have time! PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Well, it took all of 3 minutes to gather up the xmas cards, and put them away.

Now the house is back to normal.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ, I hve no idea what the name of the plant is, but I will take some to Linda this weekend and maybe she can tell me what it is. I think it's from the herb family, because of its growth habit, it has underground runners like mint, but has no smell. It is low growing, the top of the leaf is dark green with a dark purple upside down v on the top, the bottom of the leave is a beautiful solid mauve color, it blooms a beautiful small pink pom pom bloom. It's in bloom right now, I do not water it at all, it loves the sun, I got it many years ago, and have never seen it at any nursery. The reason why I asked if you were planning to come to San Antonio, is because I have a few great plants that are aggressive, but I do not know if they are native. I would pot them for you, I hate to mail plants, you cannot mail a decent plant, because of the weight. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ, I hve no idea what the name of the plant is, but I will take some to Linda this weekend and maybe she can tell me what it is. I think it's from the herb family, because of its growth habit, it has underground runners like mint, but has no smell. It is low growing, the top of the leaf is dark green with a dark purple upside down v on the top, the bottom of the leave is a beautiful solid mauve color, it blooms a beautiful small pink pom pom bloom. It's in bloom right now, I do not water it at all, it loves the sun, I got it many years ago, and have never seen it at any nursery. The reason why I asked if you were planning to come to San Antonio, is because I have a few great plants that are aggressive, but I do not know if they are native. I would pot them for you, I hate to mail plants, you cannot mail a decent plant, because of the weight. Barbra,

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

You have hiccups! LOL! I'm just curious I'll bet I can find it here easier than shipping it! PJ

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

PJ, by any chance is your frog fruit the start that I sent you? I would like to know that it survived.
    Kathy

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Kathy, the frog fruit you sent me has done very well!
    It has made a lovely mat that takes some foot traffic without complaint where it has grown over the edges of the deck.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

The county sprayed mine, so I no longer have any. :>(

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Oh wow would I be ticked! Poor natvtxn! PJ

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

I'll be glad to send you some.
    Hopefully it will take root somewhere they can't kill it!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, would you like some of my ground cover, I would be more than happy to take some to you. It has woody roots, so its really gets thick. Barbra,