Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

Whining...

pjtexgirl
17 years ago

I'm planning on running a marathon to help raise money for Blood cancer(Leukemia and Lymphoma Society) I'm not hugely crazy about running but I'm pretty good at it.

I'm AWFUL at fundraising. It's a part of the program too. I want to learn how to fundraise even though I don't like it. I eventually want to raise money for autism.

Here's the whine.It seems like I'm only good at half of what I ever want to do!!! I swear I feel like wearing a shirt to church that says, "Will run like a crazy chicken for leukemia for only 25 bucks!" I can't shmooze!!! Maybe I should take a class or something? "How to shmooze like a pro in 10 easy lessons" AAAKKK!!!!PJ

Comments (43)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

I would imagine that your local library would have some books on how to fundraise without sounding like a used car salesman :-) (not that there's anything wrong with being a used car salesman). You're asking for a good cause, that should make it easier.

Pam

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Pam. Who says you can't learn everything from books?I envy people with a natural inclination for this stuff. A good cause should help. PJ

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

The best way to sell something is to make it easy for
    someone to buy.

Wear that tee shirt!

Have your sign-up sheet with you at all times, to make it easy for someone to pledge, but don't hit people up every time you see them.

Instead, enthuse about the program, tell them how excited you are to be a participant, etc.

Maybe ask them to run, too, I'll bet lots of people would rather pay than run!

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Just talk to everyone you see. After the first few hundred people it will get easier!! Actually, after you talk to 4 or 5 people you'll get your spiel down & work up your courage. I used to do a walk-a-thon every year when I was a kid. If a 11 yo can ask strangers for money so can you! Chat to the cashier at the grocery store, the clerk at the garden center. Tally HO!

• toadlilly
    17 years ago

Can you enlist a 'sales man' to help you? Maybe as an ice breaker? My hubby is the sales man and I use him regularly-good for you, what a good cause, and how wonderful you are a runner. (and a runner with a big heart:) CJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I thought about signing up for that 3 day walk-a-thon for the Susan G Koman Cancer thing, but I chickened out at the requirement to raise $2500. The information page for that walk-a-thon said they'd offer training on how to raise the money. Is the charity you're raising money for offering any kind of training? I bet there are some kind of classes for that kind of thing. Check with your community colleges, the Red Cross, The United Way, or any organization that raises $$$. First, though, I'd check with the organizations you're planning to raise $$$ for, because they'll be the most cooperative.

The way I've raised money in the past was a bit different. It was my daughter, really, with a lot of help from my boss. My daughter wanted to go to an expensive music camp, so my boss let us put a collection box up at the check out counter. He also had her come to the nursery to perform on Saturdays, which really helped fill that collection box. Finally, she and a friend, who was also raising money for camp, put on a couple of concert, with "donations accepted" as the entry fee. She and her friend were able to raise enough money to pay for the camp, and it cost around $3000.

Another example was my co-worker's daughter. She needed to raise money to train and travel to judo competitions in order to try out for the olympics. They just wrote a letter that explained what her goal was, and gave sort of a resume of how gifted and dedicated she was - basically explaining that the contribution wouldn't be wasted. She must have raised enough money, because she made it to the level where the Olymic committee, or whatever the organization is called, started paying her way. Unfortunately, she was defeated in one of the final rounds of competition, and didn't make the final cut, but almost did. But that's not the point. She was able to basically sell herself with a letter/resume. The letter did most of the talking for her. (Well, her mother did a pretty good job, too!)

Good luck with your endeavors.

Sally

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Completely agree - wear the tee shirt!
    It's a great ice breaker and a sense of humor is much better than a worn speech.
    Paying someone else to run is an excellent point of view.
    Everyone gets to do something good for someone else without being tortured!

• Carla
    17 years ago

Start with where you are: Put a short (but noticeable) announcement in your church bulletin that you are doing this for a good cause. Maybe you could do the same with a flier at work or other places you frequent. Just a thought.

Carla

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I go to my first meet thingie at the Y on the 23rd of this month. They have tips on line on how to fund raise. I bet the people at the Y meet will have suggestions too. I'm nervous. Thank you for all the encouragement. There is an incredibly outgoing teenage girl at my church that was blessed with great people skills. Knowing her,she wouldn't run unless she was being chased by molten lava. Together we should be unstoppable! She also seems very idealistic like a lot of young people.I'd be surprised is she didn't jump all over this.
    Meanwhile, I'll just keep up my mantra,"It's not the fastest or the strongest! It's those who keep on keeping on!!!"
    Sally, your daughter and your co-worker's daughter sound like amazing girls! Can I have your boss? He sounds too cool! Thanks again,deep breath! I WILL do this! PJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Thanks, PJ. I think they are. I really wish you luck in your endeavor.

Sally

• beachplant
    17 years ago

PS, don't forget that all your friends on GW can help you out too! Where do I send the check? Heck, we'll even set up lawn chairs & raise our margaritas as you run by!!
    Tally HO!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

I would absolutely sponsor you too!

Pam

• bev1951
    17 years ago

PJ practice on us, we're kind critics. I'll sponsor you too. I've always walked with a team & then didn't have to raise as much on my own. It was fun & a great time to spend with the whole family, Bev

• janet_w
    17 years ago

Count me in too where do I send the check.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! Thank you! You've made my whole week! I'll e-mail you right now! Beachplant I might need one of those mararitas! PJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Email me too.

Sally

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Count me in! (Got your addy)
    When is this thing? We may have to rent a 'rita machine :)

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Jac! I run in May!I slowly half jogged 4 miles yesterday. I can tell I haven't run in a long time(17 yrs!). I move at about a mile every 15 minutes now. The breathing is really different than my other sports. It will take until May to find my rhythm!
    BTW:YOU ALL ARE THE BEST!!! So! Who wants to join me????
    Stop looking at the floor and drop the shovels! LOL! I'm insane!!!Bwahhahahhahaa! PJ

• janet_w
    17 years ago

PJ i'm mailing you a check tomorrow.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Pj, this s wonderful what you are doing count me in and if the weather is nice, I'll be there, lol
    You know what a big chicken I am about bad weather
    Let me know when you need it, okay

jolana

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm going to get an account on the 23rd of January. I have to pay a 50 registration fee to get an account. I had to save up for it. Sorry it's taking so long and thank you everyone! PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

So you need it now?

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anytime is OK I am actually doing the marathon in May. I have to raise 1500 bucks by then. PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

PJ, I know I have your address because I have sent you stuff but email me and give it to me again please.
    Let me say again how proud I am of you
    jolana

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't find your email! *Blush* can you send me one first? I believe it's on my page thingie.Thanks! If I make it without falling all over myself I'll be proud of me too! PJ

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I go to the meet tonight. I am nervous. I've been working out but the weather prevented me from running so far. I need to find more sponsors too!!! EEEKKK!!!PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

PJ, I sent you an email, or I guess I could actually look for your home address, lol
    Layer up and get out there and go girl, you can do it !!!
    How many more sponsors do you need?

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have in checks and IOU's 150 from GW! I just love y'all! I am trying to raise 1800.00 by May 8th. Here's my site thingie. My DH just got done finishing it.
    The meet was great. I registered and got a neat T-shirt. I actually go into training on Feb 10th with the coach and my team mates. We run on University Dr by the Zoo and FW Botanical Gardens. I can certainly think of worse places to run!
    I hoping to find a corporate sponsor if at all possible. They'll put the business' name on the back of the shirt we wear for a 1000.00. I'm going to wear it constantly(with a thermal shirt under it so I don't freeze!) Lots of advertising there! Here's my TNT homepage thingie. It has a picture of me looking like I'm going to tell someone's fortune! PJ

Here is a link that might be useful: PJ's Team in Training page

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

PJ, I am not advicing you to do this BUT, there have been many times when I have been in a reclined position getting treatments at the center when volunteers have come by to visit and they mentioned they were raising money for cancer.... and I pulled my purse out right away, lol
    They couldn't come right out and mention it, *soliciting*
    but in places like that it hits home. Has DH mentioned where he works what you are doing?
    Have you hit your family up?

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

PJ, I'm afraid I wouldn't get much running done there. I would end up in the Japanese gardens, playing my flute. (smile)

Heh, in Lewisville, my choices are ballfields, so I tend to use my own garden, mostly. (The city just announced an $18 million new parks project...more ballfields. They just don't get it!)

Actually, my hip joints are past the point of doing much running, or even extensive walking, these days. Too many years carrying heavy photo gear, for too many hours at a time.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My wonderful dad gave me stuff to sell. Carolann is buying it! Whoo hoo!(Thanks!) I'm going to hit up the firemen around the corner. Gee, that will be such a hardship. What do you think is my best color? Blue to match my eyes??? I was thinking the local PD too. My DH is going to help at work too. I am so going to push at church.I've been volunteering for a year and half in the Sunday school. If they want me to continue... The big wigs at the church better be feeling generous. I know they bring in a ton of money and pay the people who work there a generous salary.

Rick, you had a seriously cool profession. It sounds hard but very interesting.

Volunteering at the med centers etc... doesn't sound too bad. Any ideas are very welcome. When I was taking care of people I spent a lot of time in clinics (pain,dialasis etc...) I don't remember any volunteers.Are you talking about at the actual hospitals in the Peds/Oncology wards? I'd pick clients up there but didn't hang around.I will look into it. PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I'm talking about oncology ward and cancer treatent centers

I hear firemen love red, so your hair will be a hit, lol
    BTW, I love your pic, when you're through with the marathon will you tell my fortune, lol
    JK, I love it

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Never did any fund raising, but if TV evangelists taught us anything, it is that the common man, is most generous with scarce funds, for a good cause. Their $5., $10., or $15., contributions built many large evangelical operations.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My Dh's boss told him to ask again at the beginning of the new quarter on Jan 23. I really hope this works. A corporate sponsor would make this a LOT easier.
    Rick,The common man really does tend to be very generous. I think my church will give and allow me to chase peps around the church for more. "You don't know me very well because I'm off in the Sunday school watching your kids while you relax in church...."LOL! J/K! I'll have to be subtle. Anyone has suggestions for that???
    Jolana you are so bad! I noticed firemen are sweet for the most part. I'm intimidated by hospitals but I'll try to put on a brave front....eeekkk. PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Bumpity bumpity bumpity bumpity bump bump
    bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

What tune is this to???

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My running technique???PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Hahahaha, good one. You might be too young OR I may be outta tune, lol

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

It sounded like Peter Cottontail to me, Jolana ;-)

How's the training going PJ?

Pam

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well,it's 10:15 and I'm stalling on going out in the freezing cold! I usually run earlier but I was hoping it would warm up a bit more. Darn. I pushed it too hard and had a slight groin pull. Rested a week and now I'm back in the saddle at around 5 miles run/walking 3's a week. I also throw in Yoga and weights but the kick boxing is on haitus until my legs get stronger. So,all in all, pretty good! PJ

• gabriell_gw
    17 years ago

Pj. my son-in-law died of Lymphocytic Leukemia last April. Since then his cousin has run the same race on your web site. Will you swim and bike ? Send me your address and I will gladly contribute to your race as well. Gabriell

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you!!!!I'm so sorry about your SIL. I'm hoping one day to help save someone's loved one.
    I'm running the North Trails Dallas Half Marathon.It's 13.1 miles. I'm not ready to try for a triathalon yet!
    I'll send you and email with my home addy or you can contribute on line. What ever you are comfortable with. Thanks again!
    Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Donation page for TNT

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

PJ, you do know that Susan and Al Boytis is Susan (TX or Bust) right?