Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maden_theshade

Texas Parks and Wildlife

maden_theshade
17 years ago

This is kinda long, but I thought some of you might be interested:

This email came to me this morning on another group and I have copied and pasted their message to explain it. Then if you go past their message you will find what I wrote to Gov Perry. It is easy to go online and fill out the form to email your support.

Whether you use the state parks for birding, plants, horse riding, camping, canoeing, fishing, picnicking or whatever, we need to support them through this legislation.

I don't usually get active in political things but in all my work with the state parks around here I come across such a lack of needs-being-met thanks to lack of funds. We need to preserve these places and this sure beats the entrance fees going up out of decent figures.

So I am asking you to help get a message to our governor who is a bit prejudiced towards big business and "progress".

Thanks,

Kathy S.

This is the message I am quoting from:

Our Texas Parks need your help!

Gov. Rick Perry's thinks about changing his support for state parks funding. His comments today sound different than they did a few months ago. When he was running for re-election, he embraced a plan to use all of the sporting goods sales tax for its intended purpose: state and local parks.

Now, he's not sure if the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department can properly handle a big budget increase. The need for Parks funding emerged last year after reports of critical disrepair at some of the state's 114 parks, cuts in staff, programs and operating hours.

We have an sporting goods tax in Texas. It generates at least $105 million a year, of which about $20 million went to state and local parks last year. The remaining proceeds flowed into the state's general coffers. Texas Parks and Wildlife needs between $140 million and $200 million in critical repairs and up to $400 million in total repairs, said Rep. Harvey Hilderbran, R-Kerrville, author of House Bill 6.

The legislation would remove the sporting goods tax cap - now set at $32 million a year for parks. The legislation would remove the sporting goods tax cap and make it easier for local communities to develop parks in addition to "making sure we get more value out of the dollars they spend," Hilderbran said.

The State Parks Advisory Committee last year recommended that all money from the sporting goods tax be used for parks. The committee also recommended that Texas annually spend $25 million on major repairs, $20 million for local parks, $15 million for road maintenance and $15 million for park acquisition and development.

"I hope the governor and others come to realize that these recommendations, unanimously adopted by his appointees, are not a pie-in-the-sky wish list, but are prudent and fiscally responsible, now and for the future for a citizenry that holds its land and history dear," said George Bristol, president of the Texas Coalition for Conservation and vice chairman of the State Park Advisory Committee.

Please use the following link and tell Governor Perry that Texans love their parks and that we urge him to stand by his promise to support Texas parks.

www.governor.state.tx.us/contact

May all your parks and trails be maintained and safe.

Peter & Marianne

And here is what Kathy wrote if you want to use it as an idea:

Governor Perry,

I want to encourage you to support the House Bill 6 from Rep Hilderbran to remove the cap on the sporting goods tax money going to our state parks.

Our state parks are badly needing funds to keep them functioning & staffing, and preserving our precious natural resources. The present cap is not enough and our state parks should be a high priority in this state where development is destroying so much habitat.

Comments (3)