Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddauber7

Multiplying Onions

muddauber7
14 years ago

I know there is a separate forum for this but after several hours of reading said forum I am no more enlightened than when I began. So I am back to the old tried and true with the following questions: 1.Do any of you have any experience with I'itoi onions? If so, what do you think of them? 2.Does anyone have any advise or info on the walking or Egyptian onion varieties?.......Thanks in advance.Billy

Comments (8)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

You might do better getting an answer on the main discussions forum. Not a whole lot of people tune into this one. Since your question has been up for awhile I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I had walking onions at one time, but didn't keep them. I think it was because they 'walked' a little to much and to far to my liking and I didn't notice a big plus in the taste -- not that there isn't one -- I just wasn't looking for it. Seems I remember they were a bit hot for me.

I never heard of I'itoi onions and looked them up on the Internet. They have an interesting history. From the pictures it looks like they have the little onions that form on the bloom like walking onions. Maybe they are the same thing.

With the bunching onions the bunches were too tight and hard to clean between each small onion to make them worthwhile to me. Seems that might have been true with the walking onions as well.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=I%27itoi+onions&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Hope you get some more replies. I'm sure not the final word on the subject. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: About I'itoi onions

• denisew
    14 years ago

I have some multiplying onions given to me quite a few years ago by a neighbor. I don't know which kind they are, but I don't bother so much with the bulb, but instead like to cut the greens off to use in my cooking. I think they are rather good. And, they do multiply! I had a lady stop and talk about gardening one day and we were talking about those onions. I went back and grabbed a handful out of the ground and gave them to her. She was really excited to get them since she said she was getting ready to move across town and would keep them in a container until she could get them planted in her garden. I have also given away lots of garlic chives too. They multiply like crazy!

• muddauber7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info roselee and I too saw that site. Very interesting.
    Denisew, I believe that what you describe was what I was/am looking for. I THINK I have found some though. Thanks again ladies!.......Billy

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Thanks Denise for telling us how you use them. I was trying to use them like the regular green onions, but using the tops sounds easy and makes more sense.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Billy, if you need more, I can supply you with quite a few. And I use them both ways ..... tops and bulbs. I mowed mine down late fall, early winter and will have to wait for them to resprout to know where they are...LOL>

• muddauber7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Carrie. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I would love to have some of your onions....where ever they are! :-) Under a foot of snow no doubt.....Billy

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Hopefully, I will be able to find them BEFORE the plant swap, Billy, and if I am unable to come, I will try to send them with someone, if you plan on attending.

• DannyE62
    10 years ago

Multiplying onions are excellent when pickled. Just pickle them like you would a cucumber or okra or beets.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths