Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltcollins1949

Zoë 4 days after surgery January 13, 2006

ltcollins1949
17 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I got home from Baltimore Monday. I was so tired that I was delirious. I'm glad to be back in Texas even if it is cold.

Here are some pictures of our granddaughter Zoë that were taken on Saturday, January 13, 2007. She was born on March 14, 2005 with a very rare condition, Fibular Hemimelia (FH), where she is missing her fibula in her left leg. In addition she is missing her middle toe, had fusion of the bones in the hind foot, and hip dysphasia. The hip problem is OK now after wearing a harness for 6 months. But surgery was needed to correct the leg and ankle. This is the first of three surgeries, to correct the leg and ankle. She had major surgery on her leg and ankle last Tuesday, January 9 at the Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. The device that she is wearing is the Taylor Spatial Frame which she will wear for 5 months and then a cast for a month or two. After that she should be OK until her next surgery which will be at about age ten. In the meantime, she started her physical therapy which she does not like. My daughter will remain in Baltimore until the frame comes off sometime the first part of June.

In the meantime, my DSIL is trying to get the Army to transfer him from Hawaii to Aberdeen, Maryland which will be much better, since they can continue the therapy without having to be separated with my DD and baby in Maryland and my DSIL in Hawaii.

Any and all prayers are appreciated!

{{gwi:1308530}}

{{gwi:1308531}}

Linda

Comments (13)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Poor little critter! I hope she continues to do well. I don't blame her, I did not like physical therapy either and I am supposed to be an adult.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Oh,my goodness! Linda she looks just like you. She is precious, you can just see the attitude. I will be praying so that all goes well. Barbra,

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

What a doll!!! My son loves Nemo too. I looked up what fibular hemimelia. Your family really had to face some tough decisions. You all are in my prayers. PJ

• little_dani
    17 years ago

You are in my prayers too. My son was born with a birth defect too, and had surgery from age 2 weeks until he was 20. Difficult for child, parents, and GPs!

I know she will flourish. She has the look of a well-loved child.

Janie

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

What a lot for a little one to go through. You know, I don't think she's surrounded by quite enough toys, yet. ;-)

Actually, she looks like a tough little girl. I hope all goes well and her Dad gets his transfer.

Sally

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Linda you and your family will be in my prayers.
    I wish precious kiddos didn't have to go thru such things, but aren't they tougher than most adults.

Hugs to you

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Your granddaughter is beautiful. I will keep her in my prayers. I hope that your SIL gets his transfer for the family to be together.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

She's just precious. Look at that beautiful face.
    I'll be praying for her and your family.

Carol

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

That's one tough kiddo!
    I'll keep your family in my prayers. They have sure been through it.
    Hopefully, the transfer will be approved quickly.
    Hawaii can't be much of a paradise without his family.

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all of the prayers and kind words for my granddaughter.

I talk to my DD daily, and Zoë is making progress. She actually took a few steps yesterday. They are hoping before long that she will be able to get around without too much pain.

I'll be going back to Baltimore in February to help my DD after my DSIL flies back to Hawaii. Hopefully he will be able to get the transfer!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

What a courageous little girl, Linda!! It is so hard to try to explain these things to a child when we really don't understand them ourselves. I am so glad the surgery went well, and will pray for her progress - also that DSIL gets his transfer soon - she will need the support of a loving father as well. Keep us posted, and we will keep praying.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

What a beautiful child!
    Isn't it wonderful this can be corrected.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

What a precious little girl! I love the first one with her kicked back on the pillows, she looks like a little princess! I'm keeping Zoe and you all in my prayers. It's good that she's already standing and taking steps. That is a miracle in itself.

Pam