Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacquelyn8b

Sleepy food

Jacquelyn8b
17 years ago

I just read a little article about 10 foods that might help you sleep. Unfortunantly, 6 of them are breakfast staples!

That explains soooo much ;)

Bananas, Chamomile tea, Warm milk, Honey, Potatoes, Oatmeal, Almonds, Flaxseeds, Whole-wheat bread, Turkey.

Comments (17)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Anything in the nightshade family is said to be a mild setative too. Tomatoes,potatoes(listed),eggplant...PJ

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

That's good to know. I've had trouble sleeping lately.

Thinking about PJ doing all that running is wearing me out.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

OK so, Honey basted turkey sandwich with whole wheat bread, a big plate of french fried potatoes followed by a big bowl of banana pudding should put me out like a light!
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

There you go Jim, you are set for great sleep

I know banana pudding is the valium of the dessert world.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Cat nip tea'll knock a lot of people out. If you react badly to mint don't drink it tho. PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Passionflower tea will help yu sleep real well and not fattening like banana pudding, lol

• remuda1
    17 years ago

"Honey basted turkey sandwich with whole wheat bread, a big plate of french fried potatoes followed by a big bowl of banana pudding"

I couldn't do that without a tall glass of milk to go with it :). I don't know about WARM milk.......I like mine on the rocks :).

Kristi

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Maybe, we could substitute an Almond milk shake for the warm milk!
    Jim

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Wow, thats my morning meal on my days that I am doing long runs. 1/2 cup of oats & almonds, banana and a single slice turkey sandwich on whole wheat. I am currently training myself to drink soy milk [cringes]. The slightly flavored ones are better but still...

PJ - are you training for any special event, or did you just decide to start running?

Joe

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

(Big Smile/glazed eyes) Glad you asked! (Stop rolling your eyes everyone else!)
    I'm running a 1/2 marathon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Here's a link to my page. If you run anyway give a thought to joining up. There's a link to being a participant. I ran/walked a measley 7 miles put on quite a show for my family just sitting down for 3 days."ARRRARRAGAGGGG!!!"(ME) "Hey mom, are you OK???"(DH and kids)PJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Team in Training

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

PJ- I am very familiar with this program. A member on the South Texas chapter staff has been a very good friend of mine for the past 12 years now.

I have not done a marathon since 2004, thatÂs when Abigail was born. I have been training again, but mostly for a fitness competition coming up, bike/ swim/ run/ obstacle course. They are commonly called "Iron Man" competitions.

Joe

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joe, that's what surprised me. Whenever I'm putting in PT I start with 1/2c Scottish oats with almonds.
    Afterward, its a raw spinach and boiled egg on whole wheat.
    (Just walking, PJ, just walking...)size>

I thought these foods were for sustainable glucose, not nap time! Maybe I should go back to the pre-PT meal of my younger days. A package of Reeses with an RC Cola chaser!

I don't know how they compare or if it would serve the same purpose, but Mootopia milk from HEB is wonderful! That soy milk is too much like dirty water :(

Lol, Jim! Between you and Jolana, I know what to feed my better half when I'm tired and he wants to stay up!

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Well, lessee....Chamomile tea upsets my stomach, potatoes are off the diet, soy milk doesn't bother me a bit, but it isn't as good for heating, honey has too many calories, oatmeal is boring, limited intake of bread (only whole grain), which leaves bananas, flaxseed, and turkey. Somehow those don't go well together, so I guess I have to choose just one.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Uh un...NO way! You couldn't talk me into doing Iron man/woman anything! Too darn lazy. I like my whimpy lil every-other-day except Sunday thing I had going.No special diets except my food intolerances. I'm actually not that competitive. I just wanted to learn something interesting(Martial Arts/Yoga) and stay in fairly good shape (throw in some weight training). I'm agreeing to run for a good cause. I'll probably quit after this. PJ

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Well, I think I am out for a week. I was teaching combatives this morning and during a throw I landed wrong on my knee. I felt the bottom half of my leg shift sideways while the top stayed put. I felt the pain instantly but of course I didnt want to show the class I was hurt. We still had 30 minutes of sparring left and it seemed to take foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer. I need some Advil.

My wife thinks I will need knee replancements by the time I hit 30.

Joe

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

JOE!!!! Your wife is right. (This old lady,well past 30,stops when she's injured!)I couldn't run today because I'm NOT even close to being hard enough to run in sleet! I'll do kickboxing instead and practice falling a few times in your honor Joe. (Gee, how many times can I take a poke at this guy before he shows up in Benbrook to kick my butt???) PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Maybe because he knows you are right, PJ !!!!!