Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Welcome Home a Hero DFW

melvalena
16 years ago

here is video from the first time I went:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tBBcbba0H4I

There was a soldier there who also served in Viet Nam.. this was his last tour, he was coming home for good. video as he came out of customs and into the crowd... he's the one towards the end. The 2 guys right in front of the camera at the end were my buddy and his brother ... they were on either side of me as I held the camera. Both VN vets.

Did you notice the gal who just about ran through the line? She was so not wanting the attention. There were lots of 'em like that. They were just over whelmed. Clearly they were touched.

Here's a post from a mom who's son returned just a few days ago:

quote:

My son and many other American Heroes came in today at DFW and were greeted by

about 100 people. It was very meaningful to them. Justin was most impressed by

the people who personally came up to him, shook his hand and hugged him,

expressing gratitude and they were proud of him. Justin also mentioned that

when they stopped in Atlanta and went through the airport, no one stopped or

said anything. Being a Texan he was proud that DFW showed such a recognition

and so was I.

Thanks to all who join on this. It makes a big difference to our service

men and women. They are our Real American Heroes.

/end of quote

call this number to find out what time the flight is due: 972-574-0392 then go to DFW Terminal B, gate 37.

Park in the lot right out front, and don't worry about the 1 hour

limit. They do not enforce that and it doesn't usually take more

than an hour anyway. (if the flight gets in on time)

Or you can park below, and take the elevator up.

You will be given a pass so you won't even have to pay when you exit the airport.

I suggest you call several times, because arrival time can and does change as the flight makes its way to DFW.

more video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Fr8rQSd7Qc&feature=related

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/PersonOfWeek/Story?id=2845247&page=1

go to the link below, look on the right hand side and click on the video to see a really well done one. You can also get much more detailed info about the program at that site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Welcome Home a Hero Today!

Comments (6)

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My DD and her kids and I went out to Ft. Hood to meet the soldiers coming back from Iraq.

Everyone was waving flags and holding up banners or signs to welcome them home. I looked at my 7 year old grandaughter and she was just balling. I ask her if she was crying because she was so happy the men came home to their families and she said no, she was crying for all the men who didn't come home.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can't say that the same thought doesn't enter my mind too.

But I still go and welcome home those Heroes.

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Melvalena, I know they appreciate it.
    I'll see if I can go with my DD again next time she goes.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I'd be with the 7yr old and I hate crying in public. I'd go anyway. No pics allowed!!
    I read this while checking up on this link with snopes. Check it out! It's a true story I checked! LOL!

Weary Travelers Support Operation Iraqi Freedom Troops at BWI
    By Donna Miles
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Oct. 31, 2003 Nearly everyone has experienced it at one time or another: an airport bogged down by bad weather, delayed and cancelled flights, and cranky, overtired travelers wanting nothing more than to get to their destinations.
    That's exactly what Will Ross, an administrative judge for the Defense Department's Office of Hearings and Appeals in Los Angeles, encountered Oct. 27 at Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

But what he witnessed that day, he said, "made me proud to be an American, and also told me why we will win this war (on terrorism)."

Like many of his fellow passengers, Ross had been forced to spend the night in Baltimore. His outbound flight, scheduled for the night before, had been cancelled due to the California wildfires. They had forced the Los Angeles International Airport to close, and the ripple effect drove domestic travel nationwide into a tailspin.

When Ross reported to the United Airlines counter the following morning for the next scheduled flight to Los Angeles, bad weather and aircraft mechanical problems made the prospect of a timely trip even more grim.

As he waited in the terminal, Ross noticed many soldiers in their desert camouflage uniforms, newly arrived from Southwest Asia. All, like Ross and the other passengers at the airport, were awaiting connecting flights but in the soldiers' case, it was to begin two weeks of rest and recuperation leave.

Flight delays continued and the airport had become, in Ross's words, "a zoo." By the afternoon, one flight to Denver had been delayed several hours. United Airlines agents kept asking for volunteers to give up their seats and take another flight, but Ross said they weren't getting many takers.

Finally, Ross said a United Airlines spokeswoman got on the public address system and made a desperate plea. "Folks, as you can see, there are a lot of soldiers in the waiting area," the agent said. "They only have 14 days of leave and we're trying to get them where they need to go without spending any more time in an airport than they have to.

"We sold them all tickets knowing we would oversell the flight. If we can, we want to get them all on this flight. We want all the soldiers to know we respect what you're doing, we are here for you and we love you," the agent continued. "The entire terminal of cranky, tired, travel-weary people -- a cross-section of America -- broke into sustained and heartfelt applause," Ross said. "We're talking about several hundred people applauding, a whole terminal.

"The soldiers looked surprised and very modest," he continued. "Most of them just looked at their boots." Many of the travelers in the terminal wiped away tears.

"And, yes," Ross said, "people lined up to take the later flight and all the soldiers went to Denver on that flight."

Ross said he figured that 30 or 40 people had suddenly jumped at the chance to offer their seats to U.S. soldiers.

That moment, he said, reinforced his patriotism and his heartfelt belief that the United States will prevail in the war on terror.

"I think people realized that this fight is going to be long and drawn-out, and these kids are in the thick of it," he said. "It was heartwarming to see their outpouring of support."

• melvalena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm a big old cry baby too. I prayed that I wouldn't become a blubbering idiot. There are moments I do get misty eyed, when I see a family re united. Fortunately I haven't actually broken down. (so far)

I've started staying at the terminal until the last soldier is gone because sometimes, who ever is coming for them gets lost, tied up in traffic or doesn't really know where to pick them up.
    A few times we've had to use my cell phone to make contact because the soldier's cell phone has run out of juice.

I stay because I don't like to drive off while someone is standing there all alone waiting for whoever it is that is supposed to be picking them up. I go and stand with 'em and pass the time chatting so they aren't all alone.

I figure its the least I can do for the sacrifice they are making for me and mine.

I am so glad I started going and doing this.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Okay pj - Your story you posted brought tears to my eyes! Another way to help if you can't make it to the airport is:
    http://www.anysoldier.com/

Click on "Where to Send" and you will get a list of soldier names. Read the directions at the bottom. You can select up to two a day to get their addresses where you can send items they have requested or simply write to them via e-mail or a regular letter. I had my cub scouts do this to write letters (one of their badge requirements) to them. I figured any soldier would love to get a letter from a young kid. Anyway, its just another way we can support our troops.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County