Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

Where's beachplant?

pjtexgirl
17 years ago

Did she run off to 'practice' making margaritas for my marathon early? It's in MAY! Wow is she gonna be sauced up! lol!PJ

Comments (24)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Remember she said she was having surgery

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

(slapping forehead) Duh!PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

PJ, you're doing too much exercise ----LOL.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If I'd just stop landing on my head.....PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I'm Baaacccckkk! Surgery sucks! I'm back to work on a part-time basis to see how I do.
    Started on premarin, now I'm hot all the dang time! Poor hubby, first I cook him, now I'm freezing him! Instant menopause.

Lost a lot of blood, anesthesia had trouble intubating me & I'm still waiting on the final pathology.

If anyone is considering NOT getting their child the HPV vaccine, you are an idiot. 80% of women have HPV. You got your child a hepatitis shot and they didn't become a drug addict! What are you going to say to your child when she is dying of cancer? Or like me has to have a total hysterectomy & almost dies in the OR? I've missed 3 weeks of work and even with insurance my cost is around $2000.00. I would gladly have had a $360 shot. And I probably got HPV from my ex-husband.

I'll get off my soap box now, what has been going on around here? PJ have you run your buns off yet?
    Tally HO!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Tally, I am so sorry you had a hard time of it. Surgery is no fun even when it goes smoothly. I hope you continue to mend, and all this hot/cold stuff evens out for you.
    Hurry up and get back to gardening, I miss your posts.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Tally! what a terrible time you had. I hope you are headed in the right direction now. I certainly can relate to what you have had to endure.

Kathy

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Tally, I'm glad to see you back.

Now that the hard part is over, you can look forward to getting well and back in your garden this spring.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG!!! I had NO CLUE it was that widespread. I had to look it up. I did get my kids all their vaccinations. I hope they routinely screen for it in a pap smear. I've not been diagnosed and 80% seems REALLY high.
    I know anethesia is the tricky part. I'm so glad we didn't lose you! Hope everything goes a lot smoother from here on out.PJ

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Glad to see you back!

I just copied the main body of your message (no identifying words) & forwarded it to a friend who's very opposed to the vaccination, as she feels that 1) it hasn't been tested enough & 2) it will give her granddaughters the message that they can be promiscuous.

I sent it to her because I know she has tremendous influence on her daughters & granddaughters, & I would hope that she'd put their health first.

As you say, even if a woman is the most chaste person in the world, she does't know about her husband/partner.

& what about women who are sexually assaulted?

They shouldn't have to bear the risk of cervical cancer in addition to everything else.

Your post may help to save lives.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Hey Tally, glad you survived, and hope you keep getting better. Next time you feel one of those hot flashes comin' on, would you come over and run a big circle in my garden?
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

TALLY, welcome back we missed you and so glad you are n the mend
    You know those neckerchiefs that we alk about in the summer that hold in moisture. Get 2 of those for your flashes and keep the extra in the fridge.
    I'd send you a hug but that would just amke you hotter
    jolana

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

I like to go sit outside on my bench during the flashes. It looks like I'm just admiring the chilly landscape if you ignore the shorts and T shirt ;-)

In all seriousness, I'm glad you survived the surgery and are OK to get out and about (a few more days off work would have been nice!)

Pam

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

A friend of ours had surgery for HPV last year and her doctor supposedly told her that it can be caused by heavy smoking.
    I'd never heard that before or since, but she does chain smoke Marlboro Reds.

I'm glad you survived your trial and made it out in time for Mardi Gras!
    If you are still having hot flashes, talk to your doctor about doing more blood work to find out why.

When I recently entered a surgical menopause, I was put on Estrace. It made me feel so bad that I threw them away. Then they put me on Enjuvia. Not quite so bad but still had nasty hot flashes and felt like someone had pulled my plug.

We did the bloodwork for BHRT and I started on that last Saturday.
    No hot flashes, no emotional rollercoasters, my hands aren't swelling, I can sleep(!) and every day I have more energy.
    The bloodwork gets redone next week and we will fine tune the dosages on March 1st.

The initial bloodwork (with me taking Enjuvia and Synthroid) showed low thyroid, estrogens at less than 1/2 of what they should have been, non-existent progesterone and testosterone, and the adrenal hormone was 26 instead of at least 300.

No wonder I'm feeling drastically better every day!

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Beachplant....Glad to see your back and still full of ____& vinegar! I mean that as a compliment!
    I went into surgical menopause when I was 35, so know what you're going thru.
    I used to take the estrogen injection monthly for years and it was great. The gov't took it away. Now I take estrace, it helps, but not enough. I've started taking black cohash and that seems to help. I'm warm all the time, but the flashes are much better.
    Jac's doctor seems to be "on the ball" wish my doctor was.
    Jac....what is BHRT? We seem to have many similar symptoms.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Bev, it is Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Y'know Bev you just might be right. It does sound similar.PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better but still tired. Started on premarin after surgery. Started on iron last week-yuck! I'm still hot most of the time though. I don't really have hot flashes, I just don't seem to get cold.
    and I always am cold! I had the back door open the other day & the temp in the kitchen was 29, I felt fine. Hubby is laughing at me. I'll get him!!

Jim, I'll come run around the garden but it's supposed to be in the 70's this week, just hose me off when I run by!!

I go see my Doc next week, imagine lab work is in my future.
    Can't wait to get out in the garden. The plants have NOT liked this cold weather. Lost a couple and a few look really unhappy. The brugs though are going crazy & most of them are in bloom. Bulbs are popping up everywhere.
    Tally HO!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

For some reason I missed this thread earlier, so I'm late to the party. I'm glad you're doing better, Tally. Boy, what a lot to go through. I think there's more than one way to get HPV, and it's not always a STD, but I could definately be wrong about that.

I have very mixed feelings about the government forcing any kind of vaccinations on us. It's so intrusive. Yet, at the same time, being able to prevent terrible diseases from spreading is one of those no brainers. So, I'm confused, as usual.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I'll repeat myself. Just ignore me if you're tired of this story. I have a co-worker that went/is going through instant menopause. She used to drink lots of Diet Coke. For some reason, she went without it for a day, and her hot flashes went away. So, she stopped drinking the Diet Coke, and didn't have nearly as many hot flashes as before. Occasionally, she'd get to hankering a Diet Coke again, drink it, and back came the hot flashes. It's just anecdotal, but maybe there's a connection between whatever's in Diet Coke and hot flashes.

Sally

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

My 2 cents worth. I never had a problem with my kids getting DPT and polio vaccs. What is different about this?

• bobbi_p
    17 years ago

I've been away, so sorry to say I hadn't noticed you were missing. Sorry to hear of the need for surgery. Since you're in the medical field, you'll at least promise us to be the patient and recover properly before you try doing anything you shouldn't right?

Were you up to celebrating Mardi Gras at all? I couldn't find Andouille anywhere over here. I have a meat guy that comes by the house (yah, go ahead, make the jokes my husband does!) who said he'd have his sausage man give it a go if I'd send the recipes. That was a month ago. My meat guy came by yesterday and told me he'd have the sausage this Friday! When I told him it was Ash Wednesday and that I'd really needed the sausage by the day before at the latest, he didn't get it! Guess we'll have our cajun feast a little late!

Anyway, hope your recovery and hormone stabilization proceeds well. Take care!

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

"I never had a problem with my kids getting DPT and polio vaccs. What is different about this?"

I don't think there's a difference myself, but there are 2 reasons that some do find the vaccine controversial.

Firstly, there's the fact that the only manufacturer of the vaccine contributed to Rick Perry's campaign fund.

Then there's the perception or fear that the vaccine encourages girls to become sexually active.

Well.

As long as there are teen-aged boys, teen-aged girls are going to be encouraged to become sexually active.

& even abstinance until marriage won't guarantee protection:
    I know a young woman who got this from her husband, the only man she ever slept with.
    Abstinance did not protect her.

Vaccination would have.

I my own self think that each person's sex life is her own business & that her decisions regarding it are private, while vaccination is not only in the interests of the individual but of the public as well, preventing as it does the upheaval of families, the loss of mothers raising small children, the dollar costs of medical care.

There was an item in the paper the other day about hearings in Austin about the "controversy", & one of the people who was scheduled to speak was a 31-year-old woman who is in hospice.

She is dying.

Her doctor missed all the signs & didn't even check for cervical cancer (he told her later that he didn't think of it striking a woman as young as she).
    When she finally went to another doctor, he couldn't even find her cervix, the cancerous tissue was so rampant.

Tests revealed that the cancer had metastasized to her digestive system & lungs.

It was too late.

Nothing will save her now.

Vaccination likely would have.

(One more terrible thing: the opening of the hearing was delayed, & the young woman couldn't stay. The legislature did not hear her story. unless they read it in the paper.)

so abstinance doesn't always work, going to the doctor doesn't always work, & if you're the victim of sexual assault, you can't even bet on the odds for abstinance.

I haven't researched the research that was done on this vaccine, but unless there's some big red flag (like, the vaccine was tested only on rats, etc), if I were a young woman, I'd get the vaccine.

If I had a daughter, I'd get the vaccine for her.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Merck donated to EVERYONES campaign, noone bothers to mention that fact. And I don't think the few thousand they gave made a difference.

My pap went in 6 months from mild to "it's coming out". EVEN with the surgery I am still at risk for developing other forms of cancer caused by the virus. I have to have a pap in 6 months and then yearly after that. Maybe even more. Than when you add up all the costs! And in Texas look how many people have no insurance.
    My sister has already had her daughter vaccinated.

I did make it to both of our parades, I'm in the Krewe of Aquarius and am the float captain. Didn't do much else though. AND I was a good girl, didn't do any lifting or driving or anything, felt too bad!!
    Tally HO!

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Wow, beachplant, I never stopped to think that Merck might have donated to everyone's campaign...
    but it's standard procedure, so of course they would have done it.

glad you made it to the parades & took care of yourself.