Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Galveston Update

beachplant
15 years ago

Well over 4 months have passed since Ike visited.

70% of the businesses remain closed.

The estimates range from 40-60% of the residents have returned (we think it's closer to 40%)

Dibellas burned down Monday morning, they just opened back up.

The trees are slowly dying. We're going to cut down the Japanese yews and the pecan as they don't look like they will live. The oaks on Broadway are still dying, some are trying to make it back.

The sewage treatment system is still having problems, major overflow last week down the ditches around Moody Gardens and into the bayou. YUCK!

FEMA trailers are making an appearance around the island. Some are set-up and then removed, some are approved and then for mysterious reasons denied-after the area has been prepped. The FEMA agent we talked to said they have never had as much trouble as they have with the city of Galveston, he said the city changes the rules almost daily. They still haven't decided on a place to put them for people who don't have yards, or the trailer won't fit in their yards. Yes, 4 1/2 months later people are still living in tents, cars, motels and camping out in their houses.

Gambling continues to be a hot topic. Some see it as our salvation. But then again, Las Vegas, Atlantic City are all laying off people and slashing prices.

They are hauling sand from the East end to dump in front of the Seawall. There is quite a bit of concern that Ike has undermined parts of the Seawall and it could collapse. There seem to be new sinkholes every day.

The Flagship sits empty and abandoned. Landry's sued to try and get the current management out, they lost, now they are suing to make them STAY! and the management wants out, not enough insurance to rebuild. Someone has sprayed it with graffiti and the cops are there daily running out squatters.

There are no fishing piers open yet.

At least one funeral home has reopened. Which is a good thing as our death rate has really climbed.

Medical care is still lacking, UTMB opened 200 beds but the ER remains a treat and transfer.

Legionaires has been found at UTMB, the Coast Guard base and the Corps of Engineers buildings.

Tally HO!

Comments (6)

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

Bless you Tally. We still haven't been down to Galveston since the hurricane. How frustrating the red tape must be.

You're still in our thoughts and prayers. I haven't gotten any plants started yet, but when I do, I'll let you see if you want any.

Bobbi

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

Tally, it should be apparent by now, that government simply expects your personal insurance to take of the issues. Of course, the insurance companies, are trying their best to avoid paying.

That simply leaves you in "no man's land", with no place to turn.

Might be a good time to write to the new President. Can't hurt, anyway. You certainly aren't likely to get anything out of Perry. Texas state budget has a shortfall.

• Redthistle
    15 years ago

I can't imagine how frustrating & depressing this must be. It's all talk, "We're America! We care!" and no show.--When it comes down to the nitty-gritty, everyone is left on their own.

When I was younger, I used to want to live in Galveston. It was the prettiest place I'd ever visited.--It had everything I wanted. I don't know if I'd want to see it as you've described it now.

Some of the most interesting history I've ever read came from first-hand accounts. Even though this won't fix Galveston, you should keep a diary of everything, if you have time, so people 100 years from now will know what it was really like to live through it.

I'll be thinking about you and praying the situation gets better. Thanks for keeping us informed.

• tesa001
    15 years ago

my heart goes out to everyone still there.

about every month or so, my daughter will ask
    when we can go back for a visit

we used to live in baytown, and went to the island
    at least once a month during the summers, last
    june, we moved here, to the magnolia area

it breaks my heart.

we have several friends with houses in or near
    the water, and all of them, still strugle with
    repair bills, and basic needs

i was born, and raised in this part of the state,
    galveston has been like a second home for my 40 odd
    years

i continue to offer up my prayers

tesa

• janet_w
    15 years ago

Hi Tally,
    Remember you have a place to stay here if you need to take a break and get away for awhile. YaÂll are in my prayers. Sometimes it feels like our Government has forgotten about Galveston they still talk about Katrina but hardly a word about Ike.
    I read that all the LandryÂs are closing.
    Now that my knee is getting better maybe IÂll get to come and see you. Can I bring you any plants or supplies?
    Take care
    Janet

• beachplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This weekend was the first of Mard Gras. We had a really good turn-out, lots of people on the Seawall with travel trailers, bar-b-que pits. It was very nice to see all those people here. And to see traffic!

Shriners is officially closed. They say they are going to open sometime in the future. UTMB paid another consulting firm, on top of the one they are already paying, and big surprise, the consultants say to move most things to League City, except the prisoners. I guess they are magically protected from hurricanes. Oh, and the medical students can stay here also. No big surprise. The board of regents has been trying for years to move to a "wealthier" area and get rid of indigent care. No word on the non-profit status, seems to us that UTMB should start paying taxes if they aren't providing care except for profit.

There are some things open on the Strand and downtown areas now. A lot of for sale and for lease signs around town though. They are starting to tear down houses and businesses that were badly damaged. The city won't apply for any mitigation behind the Seawall. Property owners on the west end are still trying to get the state to buy them out. I don't think it's going to happen. Babe Schwartz has spoken out against it and he's the one that got the legislation passed to move houses, he says it was not meant to bail out rich property owners. You know the chance you take when you build that close to the dune line.

Stingarees in Bolivar reopened last Thursday. We're going over for lunch when I'm off Friday. I've missed their oysters.

At least 3 schools will remain closed and will be torn down. The school in Bolivar reopened.

Beach reconstruction continues at a maddening pace. The sinkholes along the Seawall are getting bigger and there are several new ones. It is thought that the seawall is being undermined and is in danger of collapsing.

The cruise ships are back to their regular schedules and Starbucks has reopened across the street from the port.

Debris removal is almost complete along the beaches and the Seawall on the island. Noone can decide what to do about all the debris on Goat Island, in the marshes or in more isolated areas. FEMA will pay for some removal now on private property. Really good news for a lot of the ranchers and property owners, can you imagine trying to clear off thousands of tons of debris from your land? On poor guy even has a house in the middle of his field.

McDonalds on Seawall is now open past 6pm and Chilis has regular hours. There is even a souvenier shop reopened.

The state park may not reopen for another year. They are trying to open part of it sooner.

Tally HO!