Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

Maybe this will take you mind of of the weather

jolanaweb
17 years ago

My MIL asked me to help her put some articles and pictures together and this was in the mix

This is as clear as I could get it. When I should it to my daughter she googled about it and actually found one on the internet somewhere

The younger people probaly would think it is a joke, but I remember, lol

{{gwi:1308833}}

Comments (53)

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Well Janie, I can tell him where things went wrong. It was right here in Texas, over in the hill country. There was a rancher over there, name was Jackson, Jake Jackson I believe. Well, every Saturday he and the Mrs. went to town, Now she rode in the back of the truck so she could get the gates. There was probably a dozen gates twix the ranch and town. On this particular Saturday, it was raining real hard, so after a couple of gates, ole Jake let the Mrs. ride up front with him and the dog, so as she could dry out a little. Well that did it! From that day forward, she refused to get in the back of the truck and rode right up front with Jake and the dog. Folks say that that was the beginning of women's lib!
    Jim

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Sweet jumpin Moses.......I know it's Housekeeping Monthly, but I'd put money on whether or not the author was male or female.....Course in those days it would have been unheard of for a woman to have THAT kind of job. More likely, she was the author's SECRETARY!!

Kristi

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jim, lol I salute Jake Jackson's *Mrs* they could have at least included her given name in the tall tale, lol

Kristi, I believe they did have a few women that had their own columns, *gossip* ugh!!!!
    I'm not saying it's all men but I know more male gossipers than I do female. That is excluding the men on TXGard, lol

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Gee, ladies, don't you still follow these rules??? I know I do (whoops, there goes my nose getting longer again). And fortunately for me, I grew up with very independent women, so this concept was never introduced to me.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ooooh Carrie it's a good thing you added this "(whoops, there goes my nose getting longer again)."
    I was fixin to bust you, lol

• Bev__
    17 years ago

NO WAY....never would I "suck up" like that.
    My mom put up with a lot of abuse from my dad, because that's about what he figured a wife should do. It just wasn't in her, even though she tried the first few years they were married and she was having babies every 18-24 months. No wonder she died so young.
    My grandmother was a professional entertainer/entrepreneur and made lots of money and hired people to do everything for her & my grandpa. He worked, just because he wanted to.
    She was the talk of the town...she was very independent and could care less what was being said about her. She socialized with a lot of famous people and did what ever she wanted to do. My granpa was very proud of her. She was one talented lady.
    I keep the house pretty clean, do most the yard work, repairs, pay bills, take care of the office part of our business & keep things going smooth. George works his butt off to keep me in "the good life" and at home. When he is home I do pamper him some and we mostly do what he wants to do, but because I want to, not because I'm supposed to.
    He is only home about 40-50 days a year.
    We've been divorced for 15 years and are happier & closer now than many of the years we were married!
    We have a very unconventional life....but it works.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

A friend says, "Robert wears the pants in the family...(drum roll)...I just tell him which ones to wear"

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

I once heard of a couple that got married, and on their wedding night, the guy told his new wife that she should understand that he would wear the pants in their family. She tossed him her panties and said "Put these on." He tried but finally said," I can't get in 'em." To which she replied,"Yea, and that's the way it's going to be till you change your attitude!"

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

LOL! I like the panty joke A LOT. Too true not to be funny.
    I'm pretty up with the list right up until "happy to see him" I AM happy to see him! Or I wouldn't be his wife anymore. The last 10 I believe are detrimental. Extremes never work. Who wants their wife to act like a bone-headed dog? "Gee mister what ever YOU think ALWAYS! I'm unimportant! Stay out all night and have a night life without me!Bring home an STD while you're at it!"
    UG! If I were the husband I'd run away just to find a women who had a competent thought in her noggin!
    Sally's MIL was right. An insipid,wife with low self esteem isn't going to help lead a family anywhere but the looney bin. I can't believe they told women this was the way to act. I have NO clue where they got their info. They just made that cr*p up and said it was all good! PJ

• little_dani
    17 years ago

My Mama used to wait on Daddy. It was o.k., she knew how to work things to her advantage. He told her how to vote once, and she just smiled. She explained later, "He's not going to ever know exactly how I voted. Not worth the argument."

LOLOL, my Mama was a hoot, too!

My BIL sat in his recliner and demanded a glass of tea from my DS, not 15 minutes after she had got home from delivering his first born. I am not sure if she had always waited on him hand and foot, but she didn't then, and she never did again. She explained sweetly, that they were now a family, she did her part as much as he did his, and he was going to have to lend her a hand now. Somehow, he was cured. LOL

My DH likes to be pampered, and sometimes I wait on him. He works hard, all the time. He deserves pampering. When he demands it, then we will have to discuss it.

And he would NEVER have a separate night life and think he would live through the experience. LOL, end of discussion.

Janie

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

When I turned 21 (in Oct.) my then husband told me I had to vote democratic. I was 21, what did I know or care about political parties. BUT I voted republican, just because he told me not to. HMMM, you recon' that is one of the reasons he is my ex?

• remuda1
    17 years ago

"I have NO clue where they got their info"....That one's easy PJ. They got their information at happy hour (martinis) after their grueling day at the office while their wives were at home, making sure that dinner would be at just the right temperature on the table when he walked in the door......or didn't.

Kristi

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, who is having decent weather tomorrow and wants a visit from me. DH and I have been cooped up toooo long together and then we went out in a car together and I seriously need a break. When in the last 28 1/2 years turn into curmugeony farts
    Someone have mercy on me, lol

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Wow Dani! You're BIL is a brave,foolish man. Apparently your DS is a saint. If someone demanded that I fetch them a drink after giving birth I'd have embedded that d*mn drink in their forehead! Blame the hormones.
    Kristi, you're right about the happy hour. It must have lasted 3-4 days to come up with that Pulitzer prize winning piece.PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Don't know about decent weather, Jolana, but I am always up for a visit from you.

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

Tellin' my age, but that's about the way things worked when I was young. My ex changed a dirty diaper (only 'cause I went to the Dr and he had to.) That was the ONLY one...ever.

Times were just different back then- pregnant women wore smocks to hide their "condion," and I never knew anyone who would have put on a bathing suit after starting to "show." Ladies wore panty girdles under a fitted dress or skirt. Full slips were worn with dresses, sheer or not. Blue jeans were for the rodeo, tennis shoes were for tennis or P.E. at school- and you didn't go to church, funerals or most social functions without hat & gloves, and of course one always had on "nylons" (as hose were called back then,) when properly dressed to go out.

My Mother bathed, put her make up on & combed her hair then dressed (in a dress) and put on her makeup & nylons every morning even to garden. :) She'd rather wash the extra dishes than dare to set catsup, mustard or pickle bottle on the table for goodness sake!

We children were not allowed at the breakfast table until we'd washed our faces, combed our hair & put on robes. It was just an unspoken rule...like polishing our shoes each night before bedtime.

I smartened up...2nd hubby made formula, burped & changed the baby & did laundry. Also vacuumed, did all the heavy cleaning, waxed floors, always took out the trash & I got coffee in bed every morning until he was no longer able.
    Shore do miss that coffee in bed!

Suzi
    After years of dressing to the 9's every day for work, I can wear sweat shirts 'n jeans with a pair of scruffy old tennies & I do 'n LOVE it!

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Jolana, we had a beautiful day here today. Looks like the next few days will be partly cloudy.
    You can always come visit me! We can get together with Pam & Kristie and get PJ & Carole to come over too!
    When George is home you can even bring your hubby and they can go off & do guy stuff or hold the couch down while watching TV. TV usually ends up watching George!
    You could even stay over if you want.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

WOW, I'm I glad to be out of the dark ages LOL. Reading that article makes me sick, I mean for real why would you not ask your husband where he was all night, and why did they think they were more important than women that what was on our mind was trivial.
    When I was in elementary we wore can-can's up till the third grade and the only time the girls got to wear jeans or pants to school was at stock show time. I can recall my mother telling me all of the notes in the paper above on how to please a husband. Be good to him, makes sure dinner was on the table and the house was spotless bah bah bah...........
    We could not even go to the movies without having to get dressed up, women and girls in dresses and men in their suit's.
    When I was in Jr. High they finally let the girls wear pants to school and when they did I never looked at another dress again. Once they did let us wear pants you would never see me in a dress unless there was a function that called for being dressed up.
    Being young and dumb when I marry my first husband I did try to be the good wife like mama told me but in the end I stood up for myself and got rid of the jerk and stayed single for a long time before I find my true love.

I don't like a dirty house but I'm not going to run myself nut's if a few thing's are out of place and there is a little dust.
    My DH is so easy going that if I don't feel like cooking he'll fix himself something or we'll go out to eat.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

My ex-husband used to say "She knows who wears the pants in this family!" Then he would smile and say "And they look damn good on her!". Sigh....that was a few pounds ago.

Ummmm, what's a "can-can"?

Kristi

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

That was probably the thing that prompted the "Stepford Wives" in the first place.

Funny thing about the human animal.....it never wants to do what someone else tells it to.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Can-cans were the petticoats that made the poodle skirts look like they did. We starched them as stiff as possible and wore five or six. The fuller the better.
    I grew up in the Rio Grande valley We did not have a lot of cold weather down there. But on cold days we could wear jeans under our dresses. I could never figure out the concept of not letting anyone see your panties, but we had to wear dresses that blew over our head.
    For what ever reason it was not until the mid to late 60's that it was ok to wear jeans or slacks/pants on a daily basis and that was when "pant suits" were in style.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

My school was actually segregated by fashion. Everyone had a statement. Most of the girls that didn't have a letter jacket dressed somewhat like a prostitute. It was a matter of degrees. Madonna look-alikes were plentiful.Most of them weren't "Like a Virgin".
    Boys spent as much time as the girls fixing up.We had "guys" with black hair,black nails and white makeup;long hair,ripped clothes and boots; and the gay Boy George crowd. Except the jocks. They looked like the girl jocks(or the other way around?) only male.Letter jacket and jeans every single day.
    Bangers wore quilted jackets with a fur collar. Like they were going on an expedition in the artic. Baggy pants and big shoes were around but not as big or as baggy as now. Banger girls looked wierd. They mostly avoided eye-contact with the jock girls. They shaved thier eyebrows put on make up with a trowel and tried to look tough. Everyone knows it's nearly impossible to fight with a spider(mascara caked eyelashes) on each eye.They started out picking on the prostitute-like non banger girls but it was no use. They just weren't good enough to fight blind. So they beat eachother up instead. Lots of shreaking and hair flying. There were a lot of fights and we were at one of the tamer schools. The most impressive fight I saw was between a Vietnamese girl and this crazy girl with LOTS of Madonna hair. She looked like a blown up blonde cat. The Vietnamese girl's uncle owned a do-jong. Ms. Madonna hair kept after her and after her. Finally Vietnamese girl blew a fuse and jerked Ms madonna off her feet by her hair and hit her in the face 6 times in rapid succession before she dropped her like a sack of sand. Education? Well it was a great school for future pro wrestlers. Now my old high school has metal detectors.
    Hmm... maybe dresses and suits would've helped but I doubt it. People wonder why I homeschool. I hear now grade school is like that. Scary.PJ

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

I'm off for the next 3 days Jolana.... I hope you are coming to vist Bev :-)

Pam

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Heh. PJ, you are a youngster. (smile)

When I was in school "One-eyed, One-horned, Flying Purple People Eater" was a hit song. (grin)

Of course....I was weird then.....I liked "Pipeline".(instrumental)

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pam, how's the weather there?

Rick ""One-eyed, One-horned, Flying Purple People Eater" was a hit when I was in school and I still like "Pipeline"

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is for you younguns, lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheb Wooley,Flying Purple People Eater

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Funny, I was thinkiing of "One eyed". I don't know where the thought came from though. That was around the same time as "Beep, Beep", the race between a cadillac and a nash rambler.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

It's cool and cloudy today, but supposed to be partly cloudy and 50 tomorrow and 55 on Thursday.

Pam

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Yeah, I still like "Pipeline", too, Jolana. At the moment, though, I am listening to Kay Gardener, on alto flute, to the nature sounds of the Amazon rain forest.

Which reminds me....while most teens were listening to the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, and the like, I was listening to Los Indios Tabajaras......possibly the finest guitarists of the last century. (They were Brazilian.)

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My all time favorite and still is Al Di Meola.
    It did and still does drive 3 of my kids crazy, but I love him or not *him* but how he plays.
    I'm very familiar with Los Indios Tabajaras, they have been around longer than Al, lol

I have to say, I didn't know they were Still around

If memory serves didn't they even record with Chet Atkins?
    Maybe I'm crazy

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pam, I'm sorry I should always refresh before I post or be more observant.
    I just checked your weather, lol still too cold for me to run around and have a good time, lol
    I know I'm a weinee, lol

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

That's ok Jolana, I'm in menopause, so I enjoy the cool temps ;)When it warms up though...we have a raincheck!

Pam

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You bet, I am too but my body isn't back to normal yet and I'm cold all the time, lol
    It's raining between here and there according to the news

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Don't think Los Indios is still around, but their CD's are. (smile)(They first recorded for RCA about 1958.) I have four albums on CD.

I had to get replacements for the old LP's, and I got a fantastic CD of some of their greatest hits, from Japan.

Not sure if they recorded with Chet, but when they heard Chet wanted one of their guitars, they gifted him one.

My other guitar favorites are Segovia, Sabicas, Tony Mottola, Govi and Eric Hansen, among others.

No one coaxed more pure beauty out of a guitar, than Los Indios, though, for me.

These days, I like new age music, in general, and all manner of world flute music, specifically, except western classical (silver flute).....which I find less appealing, unless played in a new age style.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Rick, Jac is my age she just isn't talking! I'll bet she skipped the Madonna phase or wont admit it! LOL! Oh Jac......
    Wow, forget Madonna. I think the people purple eater thing damaged me for life! I'm afraid.
    I like Carlos Santana,Eric Clapton, and Dominic Miller for guitar.
    More classical singers(jazz,opera not rock...) Ella Fitzgerald,Sarah Vaughan,Bidu Sayao and Enya.PJ

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

It's gotten gloomier as the day has gone by. Hubby told me earlier that it was snowing in Cleburne!

I hope you feel better soon. I bet you are going a bit stir crazy.

Pam

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you are talking to me, I just said to a friend in an email, I can't believe I feel better and can't go out and do anything, lol but she reminded me the wildflowers will be magnificent this spring, but that's not now lol

My house is clean and I started a mosiac project but the first stage is donne and now I'm waiting

Think of a game we can play, lol

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Enya's fine, PJ, but I really am not fond of vocals.....never have been. I can handle vocal textures, but songs....nah. Well....maybe some of the old 60's folk songs, etc, when I'm in the mood.

Of the contemporary guitarists, Govi and Eric Hansen are a couple of favorites. Of course, on any given day, I can do a wide range, from Alirio Diaz, to Armik, to Johannes Linstead, or Ottmar Liebert.

Don't care for Santana, can take or leave Clapton, and I'm not familiar with Miller.

There are some guitar duos that are nice, like Benedetti & Svoboda, or Tingstad and Rumbel.

But then.....there are guitarists everywhere.

My real preference is flute. Here's a local friend's link you might like to sample:

http://www.cornellk.com/

He plays very well.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Oh geez...Madonna? Nooooo

I liked INXS, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Bauhaus, The Velvet Underground, Concrete Blonde, Depeche Mode, Aerosmith, The Cure, David Bowie and Violent Femmes among others. I still listen to them!

Now I can't get through the day without Good Charlotte, Godsmack, Matchbox 20 and Cross Canadian Ragweed.

My poor husband loves bluegrass and all eras of country.
    Aren't we a pair!

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I feel like you're talking a foreign language....most those groups...I have no idea who they are or what kind of music they play.
    Now play me some DOO WOP from the 50's or some Motown hits and I'm happy!!! Have I shown my age?????

Jolana...a few minutes in my hot tub will warm you all the way thru. I'm heading out there in a few minutes.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, enjoy it for me too. I need to check the weather for tomorrow. Hoping it will be a little better

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

On Monday I am going to visit Daddy in the valley. It looks like their lows will be in the 50's, but rainy. :(
    Thank goodness I'll be flying down. I would be skeered to drive that far in the rain.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Yup......PJ was right. Jacquelyn is also a youngster. (smile)

Today's CD is "Orchid", Chinese pipa (lute), with accompaniment on Guzheng, Erhu, dizi, shakuhachi, bass, guitar, piano, and percussion, from Pacific Moon records.

Jac, I do not envy you the music you like, but that's ok, as long as I don't have to listen. (grin)

The good thing is......mythbusters researched the effects of music on plants, and they found that all types of music stimulated plant growth.....so individual tastes in music can be exercised, without concern for your plants. (smile)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Jac's not fessin' up here! Yep, I was 14 when I went around dressed as a very conservative 'Madonna' in the 80's. *Blush* then I went punk. I was such a dork and thought I was so cool! I had almost the same hair I have now only parted over one eye(geez) and dyed blue! LOL! Did I mention the sides were shaved? Black on black was my basic wardrobe. Combat boots! LOL! Lots of heavy eye makeup. I was front and center in a mosh pit at a NIN(Nine inch Nails) concert and came home with someone's nose ring stuck in my hair! EWWW... I think I broke someone's hand trying to get cute too. What a LONG,dopey-*ss phase.
    It lasted until I was 26. Then I got divorced and started acting like a normal person. PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Heh. I was 14 in 1959. Had already been working for 2 years. Then, Elvis was controversial. The Corvette was the coolest car. Miami was a quaint small town, and nobody had ever heard of the Beatles.

The island (Hawaiian) music of Martin Denny was all the rage, and gas was under 20 cents a gallon.

No one had heard of McDonald's (Royal Castle was the favorite then), and you could find pumice and sea shells on one of Miami's beaches, washed up on shore, instead of trash.

Coke machines had the short bottles for a nickle.

People were a lot more decent, then, and a lot more honest.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Rick, you are two years younger than I. Yes, Elvis was contorversial. They showed him from the waist up on TV. What an innocent time that was. A person who smoked cigarettes was considered tough stuff.
    When I could finally afford a vette, I could no longer physically get out of one.
    The "funniest" trip I ever drove was a miata to Yosimite Park.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Lol! I never subject anyone else to my music! Even in the truck, my DH and I leave the stereo Off or put in a Yo Yo Ma CD. We both love the cello, although I don't play anymore.

Since I've never watched much TV, I wasn't terribly influenced by it. My high school days were spent at livestock shows, rodeos, showing horses, hunting and dancing. Well, there were those Saturday nights spent on Westheimer in Houston. THAT was a lesson in alternative culture!

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Funniest trip I ever drove, was a Triumph Spitfire, from the Black Forest in Germany, to Amsterdam.

If you turned your head, in that car, you would be off the road in a flash, the steering was so quick.

Fortunately, managed to avoid everyone on the autobahns, despite the 80 mph speed.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH