Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasorbust_gw

Plunker , wannabe planner

Texasorbust
17 years ago

I made a ton of mistakes last year and have to move a bunch of stuff around and build memorials to way too many. Did much impulse buying...get to the nurseries and brain goes haywire.....oooh i'll try that one and two of those and maybe just one of these! Never had anything blooming together that I wanted to. Tempted few minutes ago just looking at seeds on a website.......get off track very fast.

Just shopping for "red flowers"gets me in trouble. Anyone have a favorite website or system they use to choose specific companion plants?(found sites for veggies, can't find good one for flowers) I'd like to be a better planner instead of just plunking these poor plants together and saying "you can bloom now"whenever i walk past.

Comments (68)

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

I could get you one and plant it in my front yard and even take care of it for you.

You can visit it any time you want to.

Good idea...huh!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Well, it's an idea, good....NO!!!
    LOL, DS said he saw some at Home Depot, he didn't know how much but said they were full and pretty.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Ya know, Paul James recently did a segment on "nursery beds". He did raised beds about 12 inches high and put them where they got some filtered sun and were kind of protected by a fence. These beds were specifically for plants he received that he didn't yet know what to do with. He also used them for things that didn't work where he had planted them out and wanted to move them, but didn't yet know where he wanted to put them. He just planted them in the temporary nursery beds. I thought it was a great idea.

Since I have a lot of new beds to fill this year, I am just looking at them, trying to anticipate true growth patterns for sun and shade issues and also considering color, height, etc. Then I am putting in what I THINK (and hope) will do okay there. But really, when it comes down to it, I am also considering all of these beds "nursery beds" until I see what the plants are going to do in my particular environment. I'm just considering this first year for these beds a learning experience :). Hopefully by this fall, I will be able to see what changes I will need to make.

Kristi

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I saw that Paul James program too, and I thought it was a marvelous idea. Instead of heeling in plants in my flowerbeds, I now have a nursery bed, where all those things that I haven't planted yet can get the care they need. LOL, that Paul James is an enabler.

I get ideas everywhere.

I went to Cottage Garden and saw a Red Bed, done by gottagarden, in upstate NY. It is sooooooooooo be-ute-i-ful, and I knew I have to have one. In subsequent threads, all having Red Bed in the title, I think, she outlined what plants worked for her, and what did not. Discussion of the color spectrum followed, and I gained an enormous amount of information for the planning and execution of my Red Bed. Mine will be on the banks of my pond, by the way.

There is another thread in Perennial gardens, I think, about "Purple spires is why I garden", and it is an excellent source of information. It amazes me how the image of a certain plant will trigger the thought of a plant that could be substituted for the first, which may/may not work for us in Hot Old Texas.

Anyway, this is often how I start a landscape plan. What has worked before, adapted to what will work for me.

Good luck

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: The Red Bed

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Wow!!! That lady's gardens are amazing!
    Of all the gorgeous gardens we've had a peek at, hers are my favorites.

Thanks so much for posting this!

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I'm doing a red and white bed on the side of the house so far all I have is one rose of Sharon, three salvias and one white butterfly bush. I'm waiting for later spring to see how it's going to turn out.
    I watched a travel show today on gardens in America OHHHHHHH So pretty they all were but all were acres and acres, all I have is a small plot of land but happy with it, and enjoy seeing others.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

That is stunning. Her whole area is beautiful.
    Thanks Janie
    jolana

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Her restraint in only planting red flowers is amazing. I was going to do red and white and didn't last a darn day!!! She deserves some kind of prize!!!PJ

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

I'm a total plunker. The thing that really bugs me is that I can't figure out a design even if I try. I'm artistic. I can draw really well. I can pick out plants that I want to grow. What I can't do is the vertical thing. Tall here, bushy here, crawling there. Voila! Some people can do that so well, and I CAN'T. I think it's the same talent as interior decorating. Me can't do it. I watch those interior design shows where they just move stuff around that is already in the house, and I am just mystified at how they can DO THAT.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I can do THAT, PPB. LOL, I can do just about anything except balance my checkbook.

This is the link for the information that Gottagarden posted about her Red Bed, what worked, what didn't. I like the way she divided it into Annuals, vines, shrubs, etc, etc. I liked it so much that I printed it out, to use as reference material.

If you put gottagarden in the search box for the whole GW, you can see many of the other gardens she has posted about.

Janie, who now has to get back to de-ciphering and ciphering with this bank statement.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Red Bed- the rest

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Well, ya'll are a lousy support group! I now am looking for red flowers, bushes, trees.....
    Part of the problem is the dang plants don't read the labels and they grow much bigger then they are supposed to. I put in one plant, 6-8", well, it's now about 8' tall. AND the rubber tree is about 20' tall. Stuff just don't listen.
    I've got plants hanging off the railing of the deck, off the fence, the neighbor keeps threatening to put a lock on her gate, I'm pretty sure I can jump that fence with my shovel & plants..I had to move the trashcans so I could plant stuff there.
    Tally HO!

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Tally, you must've dialed the wrong number. The phone didn't ring.

The trouble with our support group is that the support group needs support.

PJ is trying to stop me from buying a Weeping Cherry Tree and I'm supposed to stop her from buying a Saucer Magnolia.

We're going to Calloway's Nursery today.
    Maybe we should take some blinders to wear through the tree aisles.

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ buys Carolann a Weeping Cherry and Carolann buys PJ a Saucer Magnolia, guilt free support.

I'm pretty sure I can jump that fence with my shovel & plants........LOL Tally!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Tally, I apologize for Janie, LOL and the lack of support from the reat, LOL

Carol, you and PJ would have to be totally blindfolded, lol
    Blinders just keep you looking straight ahead. Either way, big trouble
    Billy got me a Saucer Magnolia @ Walmart. Don't tell him but I wanted the pink, lol but the purple is stunning
    It's a 5 gal but only about 4 1/2', the tag says it was $16.95, I think

Kathy, do the leaves have the fuzzy covering like the flower buds before they open? I'm thinking it might have already flowered, well there is one flower that has yet to open.
    I hope it hasn't flowered yet, that would be a sight. Either way, I'm glad I finally got one.
    jolana

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

'twas a bit nippy out there in my gown tail, but here you go.

{{gwi:1308882}}
    {{gwi:1308883}}

{{gwi:1308884}}

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Kathy, you are a sweetheart!!! Gown tail, I bet your neighbors liked that, lol
    It looks like in the first pic, the leaves look like the flowerbuds. Doesn't it to you?
    jolana

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Notice that the flower buds are fuzzy. Once the blooms fully open, they are white on the inside.
    If it has already bloomed, it will bloom again later, just not as many.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Hello, my name is Sylvia, & I am a Plant-a-holic.

Twelve-step programs only work if participants (including hotline staff) *really want* them to work.

hmmm.

I think I detect a little problem with Plunkard's Anonymous...

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Susan, that's what I was going to tell PJ.

We could buy each other the trees then when our hubbies ask what we paid for the trees we simply answer "nothing", it was a gift from a friend.

Lucy should've thought of this plan!! LOL

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Hello, my name is jolana and my friends are plantaholics.

I wish the could have the willpower that I have been blessed with for not eating liver.

Maybe one day they will, LOL

Carol, that would work, since y'all live so close together.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Oh, No! Jolana, I love liver, and I don't get to eat it! I have too much iron in me, so I can't eat any good liver, nor take vitamins with iron in it, or any of that.

Will of Iron, I have. I only bought a few annuals so far.

And a columbine that I am sure will not survive here, but it is so purty.
    and a dwf bottlebrush, 'Little John', and a couple of other things.

The purchasing was only for solace, because I don't get to eat liver.

That is my story, I am gonna stick to it.

Janie, who has many, many other good pics, but doesn't want to tempt Tally.

Sorry Tally. I just wasn't thinkin'.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Janie, I love liver too but it has to be cooked right, LOL
    Not everyone can do that

Aren't those dwf bottlebrushes awesome? I got 2 for Valentines. I love them. I think we might be right on the line for hardiness tho. They were planted during the coldest part of the year so far and came through like troopers
    I'm sorry Tally, but I have to know what else Janie got, LOL

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Another idea is to simply sneak the plants into the ground and hide the pot.
    This is hard when you have to plant a 10 gallon tree.
    I think if I could plant really fast then I could just tell my DH that the plant was there all along and that he's going crazy.

Maybe this would work.

Oh Janie, you're so lucky!!! I saw a dwf bottlebrush today but it's a little too cold here for them.
    At least I was told it is.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I don't know for sure about the bottle bushes. All I do know is that I've only seen them in zone 9/10 in Los Angeles where they are everywhere. I know my mom tried to grow them but couldn't nurse them through zone 8. They are selling them locally tho.
    Those Saucer Mags are so gorgeous. My mom had hers pruned with a single leader and it had a spectacular candelabra shape to it. PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I have so many plants my hubby doesn't notice any.

So now my support group has turned into an enabling group. Works for me.

Who wants to go with me to the Tropical Treasures plant sale in April or May in Texas City and support me in blowing my budget on plants I don't need and have no where to put? Then when I walk around plunking I can defer the guilt.

Janie, I'll eat some liver for you, I don't have enough iron right now. And I'll have to buy a few plants to make myself feel better that my friends are deprived.

I only bought ONE plant this Sunday when went out. I got a great new nepenthes I didn't have, HUGE pitchers! Couldn't resist, I had an empty spot. A couple of the hoyas died this winter so it was a replacement. Yeah, that's it. My iron will is almost as strong as Janies!
    Tally HO!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

HHMMM, empty spot, hoyas died? Works for me, lol
    YOU GO GIRL, LOL

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

K, if we're enabling: Fred's has $1.89 elephant ear bulbs & box perennials for $3.88. Family Dollar has same brand but different perennials for $3.00. Michigan Bulb catalog came with the killer $20.00 off of 40.00 purchase coupon on it(good until May 25th!)

Now how does one explain these deals to TXU?

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I know I know!!! Plants help clear the atmosphere and help with global warming!!!! See, it's all in how you look at it!PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

LOL, we need to stop this!!! We have gardens, want gardens and will keep them full. If anyone doesn't like it they can kiss our compost, LOL

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

After two years of being a "plunker", I have become a "Replunker". I have been moving plant for a solid two weeks. You know, the tall stuff to the back, the short stuff to the front. I'm even trying to 'blend colors' a little better. Now, I've opened up a lot of room in the middle of the beds. Guess I better go see what's available at the nurseries.
    Jim

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hehe, you plunked, replunked now your preplanning to plunk in that open space.

btw......Fred's had boxed rasberries, blue berries and grape vines added to the display today. Couldn't find the price and forgot to ask at register.

• michellesg
    17 years ago

This is a horrible thread, it's full of enablers! I didn't know there was a name for my style of gardening (I am very new). Plunking, is that so bad? I have this huge new yard covered in new sod, it looks just awful so the plunking is an improvement. See, I can justify! So the question remains, does PJ have a magnolia yet, does Carolann have the weeping cherry? And how long can they hold out? BTW, I plunked a weeping cherry in my yard 2 days ago and I LOVE it...

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Don't know about sneaky Carol but I'm holdin' out still! LOL!PJ

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Heehehee, Michellesg, you are gonna fit right in here.

I have had help this weekend. DH worked with me for 2 days, and by this evening, I think I might have escaped having a nervous breakdown. Maybe.

DH is the world's best plunker.

Worse, he hides it!

I have things planned, I have been plotting and planning something for days, weeks, and then I set out to get it planted, and THERE is a HUGE Plunked Plant right in the middle of my planting area!

I know I didn't put it there, so the only answer is that he did it.

Now, how do you tell him that it cannot stay, it must not stay, that it is the ugliest of all combinations, and will absolutely spoil my whole plan, not to mention my whole day? After he has worked so hard, and been so sweet to help me all weekend.

I don't mean to seem ungrateful. I just am so ashamed. I just wanted to choke him. LOL

Janie

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Janie, (an all the rest of you with helpful spouses)

Be thankful your hubby isn't sneaking around with a bottle of roundup and a shovel, like mine does.

Whenever he decides to "help" me, either a plant gets sprayed with RU or shovel pruned! (He can't tell the difference between a weed and a plant)

Meanwhile those that are are clearly weeds--he doesn't notice!

I do have a plan, but the sun--shade--amount of space available-- does not co operate with what I have envisioned!

Melvalena

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL@shovel&roundup! My DH gets Edward ScissorHands syndrome when he "trims up" anything. New rule: there must be more hedge actually on the hedge than laying in pile next to it!

Poor guy rebuilt compost bins, lugged and toted brush and mulch all day only to be sent packing when the fun started. I wanted to plunk in private! Patted him on his sweaty head and said now you go watch your race like a good little mulch guy.

Plunking does a body good, had a blast. That area is now loaded and ready to grow, the planned bed is still empty!

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

LOL - my DH's weapon of mass destruction is the weed whacker. Boy do I hate that thing! He has killed trees, precious perennials, etc.

I must say I'm always tempted to hide my new plants from him, but now I'm thinking about fessing up to all of them! Last week he was telling me how he made sure to water the beds b/c we had 'at least' $300 of plants out there. (I wanted to laugh! Surely I have more than that!) But if the thought of them requiring replacement makes him more careful....well I may have to take advantage of that! :-)

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

The bottlebrush comes in more than one variety. Trouble is, they look a lot alike. One grows in Houston, the other makes it in North Dallas.

Ask for the hardy one. : )

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I can never get away with even the smallest of new plants. DH never notices that I've gotten my hair cut or that I've cleaned the house. To him the house looks great all the time, one good thing about that is during frantic spring planting time he thinks I'm great keeping up with house and garden HAHAHA.
    I'm not kidding if DH walks around the yard he'll ask where did you get that new plant, as for everything else is doesn't say a thing if he does notice.
    He even had the nerve to tell me maybe I should slow down and just work on a one small garden and not the whole yard.
    What fun would that be.

• jolanaweb
    15 years ago

This is the one I want and still haven't found yet, lol
    Hi y'all
    I was going through this thread, we had some fun didn't we.

I have missed you

jolana

Here is a link that might be useful: Callistemon Viminalis

• carolann_z8
    15 years ago

We did have fun. I bet there are lots of threads like this one where we had fun and laughs together.

I hope you know that you have me wanting one of those plants now. LOL

• jolanaweb
    15 years ago

Good!
    TXORBUST IS A HOOT!
    I can say it now, sometimes I wished I had been wearing depends when she would post, lol
    I wish she would write a book, it would be a best seller

• carolann_z8
    15 years ago

LOL....that's some serious laughing.
    I want one of those weeping bottlebrush. Now we have a quest.
    I really enjoyed Txorbust too. She is so clever and should write a book.

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Yeah, remember the spot she couldn't get off the coffee table?
    Jim

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Here's the link.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: What will get this spot off my coffee table?

• jolanaweb
    15 years ago

Boy, I am out of it. Jim, I thanked you on the "spot" thread, LOL

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

OMG! When did this thread pop back up (oh yeah april 9)
    I laughed so hard!
    I miss TXorBust. She moved here when I did. We converged from opposite ends of the states!
    BTW Carol, where's my Saucer magnolia????
    LOL!
    PJ

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Is this the same "spot" that ate watermelon????

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

I think that was the shephard looking dog that looked like it took joy rides in a boat. PJ

• maden_theshade
    15 years ago

That is a great photo! And I thought my cats were weird! I used to have one who totally camped out on the coffee table too! Now I've got a toddler who thinks it's her personal dancing platform!

how quickly they go from this:

to this: haha