Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

First Robin

carrie751
16 years ago

Can Spring be far behind?? Looked out my window and saw my first robin this morning. Warmed my heart on such a cold day as I know Spring will be here soon......

Comments (27)

• justintx
    16 years ago

Okay!!! Here we go!!
    J.D.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Better get ready for a hot summer. The Sun has already moved father north than I like, for this early in the season......which could be an indicator of a very hot summer.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I've been seeing robins for a few weeks drinking from the pondlets. They look huge after watching the smaller titmice, chickadees and nuthatches.

Pam

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

haven't seen robins here yet,
    but the paperwhites have already come & gone,
    lots of daffodils are blooming, &
    the first iris of the season ("Crimson King" a historic from 1893) opened on the 21st.

Pretty soon the trees will be covered in that beautiful "new leaf" green that's so fresh & bright that you "have to" put on your sunglasses but you don't,
    the roses will bud & bloom & hang from the trees...

& there'll be bird poop all over the driveway!

Yay, Spring!

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

We had one hopping around yesterday.

There have been lots of birds around here lately.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This morning was a fun time for DH and me - the light frost brought worms to the top of the soil, and the blue jays and mocking birds were busily hopping around pulling them out of the ground. Some were so long, they would have to back up to get them out of the ground. I could spend hours watching the antics of birds.

• denisew
    16 years ago

I've seen them up here in Allen too. When I was taking my boys to school the other morning, I saw a mockingbird chasing a couple robins out of a yard. I suppose the mockingbird already claimed that territory and the robins were just trying to find a place to nest. I sure do like hearing the robin's song in the spring and they're so much fun to watch when they are out hunting for worms - they hop across the yard, stop, tilt their head to look and sometimes they even get the worm!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

YEA, Bring it on.... I'm so ready...... Hot summer days or not, on those days I just sit back in my nice A/C family room sipping ice tea and look out the big window to enjoy all my flowers. Only going out around 7 pm or so to water, or water early in the morning.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love the heat, Barb, so yeah, bring it on !!!!

• grinchis40
    16 years ago

I was just thinking yesterday that I hadn't seen robins yet. But it sounds like they're on their way. I know it's getting time to lower down the purple martin house for cleaning. They'll be here in about two weeks.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Cardinals are back here. And the hummers. Haven't seen anything else migrating through yet but I cleaned & filled all the feeders including the suet feeders. Saw a couple of blue jays this weekend also. Lots of butterflies, mostly the sulfer yellow ones.
    I like H-E-A-T!
    Tally HO!

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

I try to keep birdseed out, especially this time of year when last year's food is gone & this year's food hasn't been produced yet.

This afternoon I found 3 ring-necked doves dining at the feeder!

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

NO WAY!! I'm so excited!! You made my day-send that robin east;) CJ

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I love spring. I can't wait for it to warm up. PJ

• eskota
    14 years ago

There's a flock of 20+ robins behind our house this morning. Also two pairs of bluebirds flying around!

• muddauber7
    14 years ago

Ain't seen no Robin yet. Thought I caught a glimpse Batman though. Forgive me..I'm bored.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry you have not seen the robins, muddauber, I have more than normal this year and they are so much fun to watch. They are cleaning me out of worms though ....LOL>

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

Rick
    This is not a smarty question- - -just interested in how the sun could be farther north at this time in this year than in any other year? Please explain in the simplest terms possible so as not to make me look stupid. I do not understand much science, astrology, etc.

And back on subject of the posting, I have more robins than I am able to count, almost like a flock of blackbirds.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Saturday Hubby and I saw a lone robin! It seems the flock is breaking apart! yepeeeeeee!!!!

Looking ahead at the 10 day forecast I see 9 days of above 40* lows! I think tomorrow I'll pull some stuff out of the garage and water/sun them for a while.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

soxxxx, I was wondering about that, too. Glad you asked. We'll learn something and people will think we're smart! lol

DH asked me if that was the last freeze for the year. Do I look like the weatherman??? Guess I'm counting on it - already started planting! Yes, I know, sometimes you get burned (or frozen) that way. :)

• melvalena
    14 years ago

WOW!! I stepped outside with my coffee this morning and the birds are establishing their territory.

One was in my back neighbor's yard and another somewhere on down the street. They were answering each other with the same call. Then cardinals showed up in my yard with their singing. It was beautiful. :)

Check this out: my robin was doing the Typical Song.

Here is a link that might be useful: robin calls

• carrie751
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Neat link, Mel. My cardinals have been singing for some time now, and it boosts my spirits, assuring me that Spring cannot be far away. I love going out early to listen to the songs of the birds and the sounds of nature.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I'd like spring to hold of a bit longer. I have to get the squirrel's nest out of a tree before the tree leafs out. I know..I know.... this is something I had all winter to figure out, but I kept putting it off.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bite your tongue, Mel ................

• melvalena
    14 years ago

:)

Not to worry, the yard guys are here now, they'll come back on Friday with the proper tools to take down the squirrel nest.

YEAH!!! I don't have to climb that ladder and half way kill myself failing even come close to reaching it, and end up having them do it for me anyway. I can skip that step.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

They were here a couple of weeks ago but only stayed around for a few days

• muddauber7
    14 years ago

Saw a robin this morning Carrie. Big and fat he was and busy as all get out! I didn't have time to watch him long as work was calling...Billy

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm