Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadee_42us

Journal entry type message

chickadee_42us
16 years ago

Have you all ever thought of a monthly journal entry? One where all could come in and state a daily/weekly activity type of update, kept on the main page?

It's seems it can make for a ~ howdy, nice to meet you ~ type of messaging.

Comments (7)

• denisew
    16 years ago

Hmmm. . . Sounds like a good way to keep a garden journal and that is something I have never done. I know others do it, but I can't seem to find the time. But, if something like that was on a place like Garden Web, it might be easier to do since we're already here posting questions and answers about gardening and other topics.

• LaurelLily
    16 years ago

Are you meaning for a gardening journal, or updates on what's going on with us personally (or both)?

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I have pictures but have a hard time describing gardening in words

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Over on the cooking forum they have something like that. It's a thread that's titled "What's for Dinner?" It's a thread where they post pics and talk about what they've prepared for dinner, or not prepared for dinner, share recipes, and other comments along that line. It's been such a popular thread with some of the folks over there that there are well over 200 threads. I think they're up to "What's for dinner #264 or something like that. I hadn't ever thought of it as being basically a journal type thread, but that's exactly what it is.

Is that the kind of thing you're thinking about, where people post about what they've done in the garden that day, or weekend, talk about it, post pics and such?

Now, there's pros and cons about the "What's for Dinner threads at the Cooking Forum. The pro is that it's lots of fun for the people that participate, and they've built up quite a friendship and commoradery. The down side, and it's minor, is that the thread moves so fast it's hard to keep up. If you don't check in 2 or 3 times a day, you'll have up to 20 or 30 posts to read, or more, and that's just in one day. So, it's hard to keep up if you don't have time to check in that much. Now, the cooking forum is one of the most active forums on the whole Gardenweb megalopolis, (for good reason, it's a fun forum) so that probably contributes to the high activity. If there were a similar, gardening related thread here on the Texas Gardening forum, it could be just as fun and fulfilling as the journal type thread over on the cooking forum.

Sally

• denisew
    16 years ago

Sally - What's the difference between reading 20-30 entries at one time or two to three times a day? You're still spending the same amount of time reading them - either all at once or broken up over the course of the day. Not trying to be obnoxious - just pointing out it is the same amount of time spent reading.

I do think what Sally is proposing by starting a thread similar to the cooking forum might be useful. It would also be nice if there was a way we could have a way to post just stuff about our own gardens, but allow others to see - kind of a blog thingy. Of course, if we wanted to do that, we could just use our own computer and log entries onto a word type of program and keep it as a personal diary of our garden. There's lots of ways to think about doing something like a garden journal.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I guess the difference is my attention span and my limited time at the computer. I usually don't have a problem reading 5 or even up to 10 posts at a time, but much more than that my attention wanders, or there's something else I need to get to doing. Besides, I am not usually able to check in on the posts more than once a day except weekends, and the times I do have at at the computer during the week is limited. I just don't have time to keep up with it all.

I haven't checked recently, but isn't there a place on this website for us to keep a journal if we want? Isn't it part of our member page or something? I never used it, and I don't know if it even still exists, or how it works, but I remember reading it was there some time ago.

Sally

• chickadee_42us
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that is the type of thread I was speaking of, not a personal garden journal. Just thinking that Texas being very diversified we could all see how temperature ranges at certain seasons of the year (granted, everyone is hot in July and August) or how some plant different items and when, possibly even why?
    I need to check the cooking forum, that's one for some reason, I haven't looked into. Don't get over to The Home Site to often.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting