Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryisthinking

sunscreen information (new info)

terryisthinking
17 years ago

The other post rattled my memory.

I've always been a sunscreen and hat nut, and the results are, at 57 I have no wrinkles. Yes, my body tells my age. Makes people confused : )

Anyhoo, I found a NEW in the US sunscreen that has been used in Europe forever. Apparently, the sunscreens they give us only handle part of the spectrum. The Europeans have been using mexoryl sunscreen, which handles the spectrum that goes deeper into the skin, and causes some cancers. So, I ordered a tube. It cost $25 and arrived promptly. Since it was winter the heavy base cream felt really good on my face. I am pleased with it, and when I re-order will try to find a lighter version for summer. If you want more info, just search on the ingredient Mexoryl.

I wanted to put this info out there for other sunscreen nuts, and people who are skin cancer-prone.

Comments (12)

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

Hey! No fair, why have Europeans been using it for ages and why are we paying so much for it? Which company did you trust to order from? Found several links, just not sure which is the real thing. Don't want to end up buying stuff someone threw together in their basement and hung a price tag on.

Way to go with the no wrinkles,you must be doing something right and should be proud! =)

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

I suppose I should look into it, since I'm going to be peeling my epidermis at some point. I just don't get too excited about sunscreens. I envy you your smooth, 20 year old face, TXgard.

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The brand is LaRoche-Posay. A big company in France. Our government must approve everything (they are so smart after all), and they just recently approved mexoryl. The cost included shipping and it is 100ml tube which will last me a long time since I don't use it all over. It is 60 SPF for sun reactive skin.

And yes PrairiePB, if you are going to peel, you must protect the new skin underneath. I would recomment this but the forehead cannot have sunscreen when you are going outside to sweat. All sunscreens run into your eyes and set them on fire. So you have to wear a hat.
    I don't have a 20 year old face. After all, you can still see I am of a certain age, and stress is hard on the skin and I've had my share for sure.

They say that the reason certain chemicals work to reduce wrinkles is that they burn the skin just a bit (not talking about a peel here). The burned skin is rejuvenated by an increase in collagen. Retin-A works that way. So, if you put Garden-strength vinegar on your face wouldn't that burn it too? Am I getting too cheap?

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

hmmmmmmmmmmmm I think you may be onto something, TX. Howsumever I already paid my $25 and have the official skin burning acid in my possession. It's the kind doctors charge $500 to administer. And of course, I am every bit as good as some doctor, right? LOL.

I know all about sunscreen in the eyes, but I've usually wiped sweat off so much, it comes off with the sweat. Sweat burns the eyes also. Doesn't it? Or is that sunscreen that's chewing my eyeballs alive and I always thought it was sweat.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

It's the sunscreen burning your eyes. That's why I've adapted to big,ole hats for gardening. For just strolling around (at a swap or something) Make up with spf works for me. Be careful with that stuff! You don't want an uneven finish or burns! PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

TXGardenlady, I will be getting that when I am almost out of mine.
    Thanks for that link and info
    jolana

• fliptx
    17 years ago

"The brand is LaRoche-Posay."

This is the brand I use, too, although I use the SPF40 spray designed for kids. It's the only sunscreen I've found that doesn't break my face out. I use one of Kiehl's lotions on the bod, though, as it's a little cheaper than the LRP while still being more photo-stable than most other sunscreens on the US market.

I've been religiously wearing sunscreen, even on cloudy days or days when I won't be outside a lot, since I was 16, and I think it's paid off. I look much younger than my baby brother. ;)

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flip - does your sunscreen contain the Mexoryl? If it does, did you buy it here in the US? I would like to be able to buy it locally - let me know where.

• fliptx
    17 years ago

It does contain Mexoryl but I've not been able to buy it in the US. I either get it from friends who are visiting Europe, or from ebay sellers who were recommended to me as reputable. There's one in Spain but I've blanked on the seller's name. Sometimes it's cost effective to buy it from a good European website, but only if you buy several bottles at once to offset the cost of shipping.

If you go to makeupalley.com and search the forums, there are recommendations for sites and sellers. I wish to heaven we could just buy this stuff from the corner drugstore.

Good luck!

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

Tx, there are people selling LaRoche-Posay brand on ebay, but since it is still so new here they are making a mint on it. May need to take out second mortgage to buy large sizes.

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The $25 didn't seem that bad to me, but given my rosacea, I'd been spending more$ for less, just to get rid of all the irritants.

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

bump, as...

here comes the sun