Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilo_gw

adaptive gardening

wilo
14 years ago

So this past year, I had surgery and was in a wheelchair for about 5 months. I also have severe arthritis in my knees and can't stand or walk much. Because of the wheelchair, I got to do no gardening starting early April. Even this past fall, I did none because I was still shaky getting around. I'm ready to get back to it, but have more limitations than I did before.

I do use a metal rocking chair that I drag around and I can sit in it and prune or water or some weeding. The chair lets me lean forward without danger of falling and it saves my knees. I tried gardening rolling seats and that swivel kind of thing. They are way too low for me.

Those of you with similar limitations, what do you do? I'm realizing that long handled tools are helpful and having what I need to carry with me in a lightweight tote is crucial. I really don't want to give up gardening. I have very little help. I can, a couple of times a year, get my kids to help out, but they are not gardeners and would rather not. Plus I raised them to be rather independent and they are used to that in me as well.

Any hints or tips would be most appreciated.

Comments (8)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Well, you simply must garden, no doubt about it! I was looking around on the Accessible Gardening Forum the other day because my hubby, looking for something to do, offered to build some raised garden boxes. I had a total knee replacement a year ago and can't squat anymore. I can only semi squat. LOL! But I haven't taken him up on it yet, because I just can't find a good place for them without tearing a lot well established stuff out. But I found some interesting ideas, including the setup linked in the link below.

Maybe you could get your kids to give you a one time super duper Christmas gift of building some elevated beds. Tell 'um it will be the last gift they would have to give you (but you wouldn't have to hold them to it ... LOL)

There are a lot of very interesting posts with helpful suggestions on Accessible Gardening. This is just one of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheelchair Accessible Boxes ...

• wilo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well, of course there is a forum on here for exactly what I was asking. I didn't even think to look. Thanks, roselee, I'll go through it and see what fits my needs. I, too, have extablished beds. I sure wish I had done raised beds.

Btw, I need both knees replaced, but doctor says I'm "too young". I try to tell him I'm "too young" to walk like this and suffer this much pain. He just advises me to wait.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Well, about waiting ... the knee replacements last 10 yrs. and now they are saying the newer ones last 15 years and then you can always have them done again. My P.T. said she had a patient, a very active woman, that was on her 2nd knee replacement on one knee and the 3rd on the other!

BTW, there is a post on this forum on about total knee replacement.

Here is a link that might be useful: What are your feelings on total knee replacement?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Sorry, I pulled the wrong book mark down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knee replacement

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

My sister had one and she has been hiking for a MONTH on the Apallachian trail in Maine and New Hampshire, last summer. She is walking everywhere now but does not have full range of her knees either. Crawling in crawl spaces fixing pipe insulation is out.

• wilo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I dragged out an old cooler from the garage and used it to sit out in the yard and pull a few monster weeds that were threatening to take over the world. I am going to keep my eyes open for one on wheels so I can put tools inside it without worrying that I can't pull it along. I didn't get much done, but it's a start. Got some herbs potted up and a small patch of weeding. Saturday was not as windy as Sunday but it was nice being out there.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

There is a member that frequents the rose forum. He has a website, linked below. He is handicapped and since he is a GW member, I'm certain you could email him and get lots of information and advice.

Good luck to you. May your garden give you lots of pleasure and not too many weeds. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosenut.com

• denisew
    14 years ago

I realize you said you are independent as well as your kids, but my opinion is family comes first and if you need help with something, they should take the time to help. I think it is becoming too easy nowadays with kids having their "busy lives" to not take time to do things for their parents or other family members. It is also not a bad thing for an independent person to ask for help. If your kids can't help, maybe you could contact your local garden club or master gardeners to come help build those raised beds.