Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasorbust_gw

Is spring blowing in?

Texasorbust
17 years ago

WOW! Good thing I over ate all winter, too heavy to blow away. Strong, strong wind but feels very warm!

Comments (30)

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

It will change just as quickly. Spring isn't here quite yet.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

That's right. Strong winds like this blow me right to the nearest nurseries. All I have to do is walk out the door
    Susan, when I blow back, I want to hear or see pics of a foal, okay? The waiting is driving me crazy, I can't imagine what y'all feel like

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

ToB Jolana's tellin a fib. She drives to the nursery money burnin' a hole in her pocket. She's a fiend.
    Rick keeps hopin' he'll end up on a snow covered mountain top cause he's crazy.
    Foal? I wanna see pics!!! Do you still have your ducks? Baby ducks are sooo cute!PJ

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Started with 7 ducks, were introduced to the local coyote population(it was carnage), went down to 2 sitters, they hatched out the newbies and we have recently lost another one(not sure what happened to this one)so we now have 8 and are working on predator proofing a new pen.

Had our house and animals blessed last Nov, this is the minister blessing Edward with dh watching. Strangest thing each animal became quiet and still as minister said her prayer over them, like they knew or something.

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

C'mon Spring! Please, please, pretty please. It will be so nice to stay warm, inside AND out!

(Dunno if I've ever mentioned it, but I hate winter.)

Suzi

• justintx
    17 years ago

Hey, rc(naylor)!!! How brown is it up there???? LOL
    J.D.

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

Texas, that's a cute picture of the doggie looking sooo good!

Whenever the neighbor's chickens would get eaten in my backyard, all I'd find is feathers. A pile of feathers. No blood or anything else, just feathers. Weird.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Edward sensed that you were doing something special just for him.

He's one smart cookie!

I'd like to blow over to the nearest nursery.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Ed's a good dog that likes prayers.Your ducks are incredibly cute!!! I made a predator proof pen from an old (LARGE)dog crate lined with wire cloth. It tore up my DH's hands to wire the stuff inside the cage but it was worth it!Not even a determined set of wolf dogs over 100lbs can get to the animals inside. It kept my mini Rex rabbit alive! Now it's keeping my chickens around too. BTW, it's ugly lookin. I plan to somehow disguise mine. PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Well, after trying to divine worms, I went to BigLots and bought an arbor for $35 and it's real pretty and sturdy, tons of cat toys a couple of dog toys, they didn't have many.
    Two real pretty black wrought iron hanging baskets.
    The day was real pretty but way too windy.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Hello Susan good to see you back. One thing I'm wanting to know, are you growing watermelon's for ED? That is such a hoot him loving watermelon I think that picture was the best of all pic's. I never got over that one LOL.
    My dad thinks black diamond watermelons are best and if I had the room to grow them I would.
    This weather sure makes you want to think spring is here but we could still get a little cold and frost it's over till mid march so don't get to gun ho yet, This is a good time to do clean up and prepare beds.

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

Monday was sooo beautiful! And I had the day off to enjoy it! yay! Was able to plant the rest of my Texas Tulips finally! At least I have one thing that can be planted now...helps keep me from planting warm weather plants til later!

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Last year someone posted a map with "average last frost" dates. I am reposting it.
    For me it is March 1.

Here is a link that might be useful: average last killing frost

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Kathy, thanks for the map, looks like mine has already come, not that I trust MN, lol
    Today will be a busy day then if I can move after the last 2 days, lol

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

May have to go buy ed an apology watermelon, chased him around yelling ahhhhhhh put that down......thought he had the back end of a squirrel. Turns out it was an old dirt covered half eaten rawhide bone he had buried out there. Sure looked like a squirrel. Now he won't speak to me. =P

New puter wallpaper until march 1st:

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Thanks for the map reminder - I'm full of caffeine and just waiting for the sunblock to sink in before attacking the garden!

Susan, would you like me to send you some Orangeglo Watermelon seeds? They are the most delicious, sweet, crisp melons! Just after that are the red meated Charleston Grey melons - but I can't find those seeds :(

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would love to try those Jac. Sugar babies did ok for us last year, would like to try bigger ones. The popular watermelon in our area is a yellow meat one. I have no information about it because that is what everyone just calls it yellow meat melon.Even the sign at h.e.b. said yellow meat. Also heard more than one person call cantaloupe "mush melon",had never heard that before. Any ideas of which yellow melon variety this could be? Mostly round not oblong,very tasty.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Susan, send me your address and I'll get them in the mail.
    I've heard of cantaloupe being called musk melon.
    My assumption was that it was a certain type or hybrid.

No idea about the yellow melons. I haven't had a good one in ages, so I finally quit trusting them and switched to orange!

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL @mush/musk......should of known better than trust dh's boss.....ornery Irish, always pulling my gullible leg bout something or another...hehe

And even if it isn't spring, sure feels like it, spent last 15minutes looking for little pair of clippers that were in my back pocket and 1 glove has gone away to live with the other hundred I've lost out there

=)

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Black diamond has yellow meat watermelon, it is round.
    I've never heard cantaloupe being called mush melon, my guess is your right DH boss is pulling your leg LOL.
    That's funny but poor Ed.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Another name for a canteloupe is "musk melon" and in some American dialects
    > that becomes mushmelon

Last paragraph in the link, they talk about mushmelon

Here is a link that might be useful: mushmelon

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I forgot to post this one too, lol
    I need a life, lol

I think this one is toward the end of the article too

Here is a link that might be useful: mushmelon

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Please be aware that a watermelon patch will call up all available coyotes in the area. They love watermelon just like Ed does. Maybe Ed is part coyote, that is why he loves watermelon. LOLOL

I never knew the names of the yellow meated watermelons. They are unpredictable.

You could just buy a Charleston Grey and get the seeds from it. They should be reliable, I know everyone that we ever dropped in Mama's flowerbed germinated.

Black Diamond is a big round red meated melon with a very thick rind. I am sure of that, as Granny used to use it for making her famous 'Watermelon Rind Preserves'. They were fabulous!

No other melon would do, as the rind was never thick enough. She would fuss, it just wasn't worth it......

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: try these

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

Texas, that was soo funny about Ed. I think I like Ed. :)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

This is Ed eating watermelon in Jersey, LOL

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Hey!! Doesn't Ed get......gassy from that watermelon rind??? LOL, nothing worse than doggy toots!

Kristi

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We hid it in the dryer after a bit so he didn't o.d. on it, 'sides he usually just blames dogfog on the cat.

I don't care what the dog whisperer says about not humanizing their feelings, Ed is 2thumbs and a backpack away from being a real boy.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Susan loves Ed so much, smooch, smooch, smooch, lol
    He is a cutey but I still think he was barking at me because I was sitting next to you on the bench and he was jealous, lol

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amazing how many google hits come up about coyotes and watermelon. Scary. Thank you for that info, will put the patch somewhere further away than planned. If I could just get the ants to eat the weeds and the coyotes to eat the ants....nahhh..don't wanna see what would come to eat the coyote that ate the ants that ate the weeds.....

I don't know whyyyyy she swallowed that fly.......

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

It's a redneck hound eatin' his watermelon! LOl!PJ