Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasorbust_gw

Sunscreen for Teenaged Face

Texasorbust
17 years ago

Sure this topic has been posted to death but here goes: Save my family some nagging with your answers. What's a good ss for a teenage boy who just got over a bout with acne? Can't be anything too greasy,smell too girly or cause chemical explosion if your marinated in cologne.(new blonde @school) I like Olay complete defense,he says too greasy. SIL found some that is emu oil based for her daughter with sensitive skin, DS has no idea why someone would wring out one of those big birds &wipe it on themselves,it's"gross" so that one is out. Short of making him wear a sombrero would like to find something we can agree on.

Comments (14)

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

I use Bullfrog. It's not greasy, and it lasts all day.
    Jim

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Sorry.....I just use whatever is highest protection level, and inexpensive, from the drug store.

Not that particular on brand. I usually only use it when I know I'm going to be outside for a good while at a time. Greasy or not.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I got mine( I still have acne d*** it!) at a health food store that was very mild and almost unnoticable. A dermatoligist could actually give a sunblock that fights acne. That would probably be your best bet. PJ

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

What's sunscreen?

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Da stuff us bald headed people use to keep from cooking, of course.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Get some *Best Defense* nd put it in another container. It doesn't smell and it is not greasy, lol

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

The stuff I use is from the Bath & Body Shop.
    It is called C. O. Bigelow Extra-Light Oil Free Face Lotion, SPF 15.
    (They have a higher SPF, also.)
    Absolutely no fragrance, no breakouts and it is truly not greasy.
    Even my husband has started to use it!

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

Okay, now that we're talking acne, does Proactiv work? I have never had acne; my skin is worse at 49 than it ever was as a teenager, when it was flawless.

I say listen to Jac or Jolana and if that doesn't work, then tell him it's his own damn skin and put pictures of skin cancer all over the place if he won't wear anything. Or tell him to find his own and tell him you'll buy it for him, but he has to wear SOMEthing or you won't let him leave the house forever.

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just sold a kit of proactiv on ebay, made the boy's skin 10x worse. May work for some but didn't for us. Will look for best defense, there is no bath and body shop close enough, maybe next time we go to waco. There is a health food store here but I don't want to go in there, sure they would say "hey you! donut breath, need 10k worth of stuff"

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

Acne Experience - 1 daughter

I tried all the over-the-counter acne medications. The doc said it was a bacteria, and not actual acne, and gave us an antibiotic to smear on. It has finally cleared up.

When I was in High School a million years ago, one of my friends cleared up her face using vitamins A, E and D. All the oils it seems.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Yep, my skin has been staging a revolt ever since I got 'fixed'. Danged hormones!

Don't know anything about ProActive. For the money, it might be better to ask the dermatologist what they recommend.
    I know my mom uses Metrogel and it has worked beautifully for her. Again, breakouts due to hormones.

The one thing I advise you to avoid is:
    "Neutrogena Healthy Defense Oil-Free Sunblock Stick."
    It is almost impossible to wash off, greasy as all get out, creeps into the eyes and causes break outs every time!

The Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 45 (liquid) but it does creep into the eyes.
    Now I just use it from the neck down. It does work and is very light, just don't put it on your face!

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

Texas - "donut breath" LOLOLOL!!! That really made me laugh. I wonder why proactiv made it worse. Maybe it's not acne? Maybe he has an allergy or something? I'm way out of my depth here.

• Beatrice_z10
    13 years ago

A tilley hat! http://www.tilley.com/default.aspx

Mine is SPF 50+, it floats, is machine washable and insured against loss for two years at 50% replacement cost.

I chose the model with the biggest brim size available when I bought it, but he might like to choose one based on coolness. . .

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunblock, SPF 100+ is what I usually use. 3 Basal Cell Carcinomas and counting! And hats...when I make myself wear them.