Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilo_gw

figs

wilo
14 years ago

You know every once in a while you should try things you don't think you like. For example, growing up I hated mushrooms and guacamole. . . go figure. So when I started seeing all these cool recipes using fresh figs, I decided I needed to see if I still disliked them. But I have looked and looked in HEB and cannot find them. I started looking this past spring. Now my sister says, well, it's not the season for figs. But it's not the "season" for oranges or bananas or lots of other things. They are shipped in. And I did look during the summer. Is it just *my* HEB or are figs just hard to find fresh in the grocery stores?

Thanks.

Comments (20)

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I have never even thought of looking for figs in a grocery store, but come to think of it, don't think I have ever seen any at any of mine. Perhaps this is due to the fact that these cannot be picked green and allowed to ripen. For them to be sweet, they must ripen on the tree.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

For a very short time during fig season I see a few in HEB.
    I have planted a fig tree every year but either drought or flood gets them, lol
    Thank goodness my MIL has a tree.
    You will like them, lol

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I've often seen figs at WalMart and other grocery stores. You might not recognize them though. They aren't loose in bins like other fruits, they're packaged similar to dried fruit, like dates.

Look for them close to the other packaged fruits and nuts in the produce section.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

I know that Costco had fresh figs late last summer/early fall, and I also saw some at Whole Foods. I just don't think they ship fresh very well.

I usually have an early spring crop on last year's wood and a late summer crop on the new growth. One of my trees had all its late crop frozen. Now there's a sad sight - frozen unripe figs :(

The dried figs are like a whole 'nother fruit to my taste - good, but not lucious like fresh figs.

Lin

• bobbi_p
    14 years ago

Too funny Wilo. I had always based my dislike of figs on the only thing I ever knew of figs: Fig Newtons. I didn't like the sandy/gritty texture of those. And, the ones growing here in Houston were ugly, gangly shrubs.

Then, my husband took me to Morocco and we had fig preserves on toast every morning. And figs in the tagines. It was enough to make me buy a fig tree!

Per your original question, though, I remembering purchasing them a few years ago at Central Market in Houston for a French dessert. They were pricey, but worth it for the recipe (pear/fig charlotte). That particular French cookbook recommended dried Calimyrna figs if fresh weren't available. It said to dice them in 1/4 inch cubes, put them in a saucepan, just cover them with water, bring to a boil, transfer to a covered container and refrigerate overnight to rehydrate.

Do the Celeste fig trees survive in your zone? They're the ones recommended here in Houston.

Here's the biggest fig tree I've ever seen in Marrakech. And, I've decided to try and keep mine in tree form:

• wilo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, that's it. I'll just have to go to Morroco. Anyone else up for a fig odyssey????

• bobbi_p
    14 years ago

I'd go in a heartbeat, but I'd probably better go with my husband! Handsdown the most romantic, exotic, amazing trip we've ever taken!

Riad Kniza in Marrakech was incredible! We got a great deal on Luxury Link .com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riad Kniza

• patsy_b
    13 years ago

Wilo-where do you live? I have several figs (don't know name) that are growing in 1 1/2 pots. You are welcome to one if you want to try growing some.
    Patsy

• remuda1
    13 years ago

I just started eating dried figs this past year. I was finding them at Walmart. Course, when I got good and addicted, they quit carrying them....thbbbbrrrr!

My little fig got hit pretty hard by the freezing temps this past winter but it's coming out one or two places up top and several places from the roots. It had only been in the ground for a year :(. Had one tiny fig on it last year that I didnt' even see till it lost all of its leaves. Oh well, on the upside, it looks like I'll have some nectarines for the first time this year......

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I lost four small fig trees to water this past winter....don't know if the freeze would have hurt them or not.........it did not faze my big tree.

• melvalena
    13 years ago

I picked up a package of dried figs last week at Kroger.

• remuda1
    13 years ago

I'll look for them there Mel, thanks!!

Kristi

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

bobbi, how long was visit in Morocco? I lived in Tunisia (just to the east of it) for several years many years ago, but never got to go to Morocco. Wish I had! Figs were so cheap and plentiful where I was in their markets during the fig season! Yum! Tagine...its very, very good! The food was quite a bit healthier than the typical American diet.

• greenleaf_organic
    13 years ago

When I tasted fresh figs off my neighbor's tree, that's when I planted my own. It's a Celeste and the taste is just fantastic! Even fresh figs in the store don't compare to straight off the tree in my opinion.

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

And they are expensive in those stores! Ever tasted strawberries that aren't from the store? Also good! My main crop of figs aren't ready yet...had a few early ones a while back...now I'm waiting!

• dragonfly_wings
    13 years ago

If you are near a good farmers' market I'll bet you can get some delcious fresh ones.

I planted a fig tree just this spring cuz...well...why not? Looking forward to my first harvest in a few years.

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

Yummy! My figs are coming in now!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

They're available at Costco now too, but not as sweet as those on the tree as they get soft. Yum!!!

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I have a bumper crop this year, and my DH is elated as fig preserves are his favorite. Me? ... I like them straight off the tree when they are super ripe and oh, so sweet.

• rick_mcdaniel
    13 years ago

Try Sprouts or other specialty produce stores, if you have one. They ill likely have them in season. They are easier to find dried, or canned (in glass jars), than fresh.