Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

I have found my Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum!

pjtexgirl
18 years ago

Yeeehhawww! Gotta Love Weston Gardens! They have 3 left of this very hard to find tree. I am poking around at my finances to see if I can swing at least one more! PJ

Comments (43)

• jolanaweb
    18 years ago

Yippee, you go girl

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

Good for you PJ. I found mine 3 years ago and have flower buds on it for the first time. Sure do hope this cold we are suppose to be getting in the next few days does not cause them to abort. Mine is now about 5 feet tall.

Patsy

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

I am thrilled you were finally able to find one. Mine blooms every year, but never gets drupes. I woner if they need a polinator? Mine is about 7 years old. When it got tall enough that I thought the deer would not eat the top out of it, I took the cage down. Then in one night the bucks dang near killed it polishing their antlers on it. That was about 3 years ago and it has taken a long time for it to recover. It has been caged ever since.

Another cool tree is Blanco crabapple. Nasty thorns, but so pretty when it blooms.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was thinking Blanco crabapple. Those are pretty! I'd be having Venison for dinner if a buck went after my Vibirnum. Why couldn't he have picked a dang hackberry or something?Pollinator? nobody said nuthin bout no pollinator! The one at Westons gets drupes maybe it's the sex of the tree????
    I can't wait till mine gets 5ft tall! That's not too slow growing. PJ

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

I bought it large., 5 gallon or bigger. I can't remember now. Remember that I will start you a butterfly vine if you want. (I had several things started for you, but once we called off the trip to ARE I didn't get them mailed to you.) All I have to do is pull it up where it is laying on the ground. It is not invasive, it is just that it will eventually root if any touches the ground long enough.
    One of the prettiest plants that was saved when we built this house is native fragrant mimosa. Fortunately it was just far enough in my propery line when the neighbors put up a fence.

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

No one told about the rbv needing a polinator either but was reading later about them and the article said they had male and female trees. This is why I am excited. I have a girl. When I got it there were 4 stems coming from the ground in the pot. I planted it without bothering the roots so I do not know if it has both sexes growing in the pot. The two stems on one side have bloom buds and the taller ones on the other side do not. I have since found and bought 2 18 in seedlings in hopes I can get some dupes sooner or later. BTW have any of you grown the native Eves Necklace tree? I finally got some seeds to germinate. Had to buy the seeds twice before being successful. They are good for the butterflies...right???
    Patsy

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ntv,The closest I have to a Native Fragrant Mimosa is a Cat's Claw Acacia...I'd love one of those Mimosas! I don't have room for a Butterfly vine. I've got vines EVERYWHERE!Thanks tho!
    Patsy is a lucky-ducky. I didn't know there were sexes. You'd think they'd make a note of it on line or at least in ONE of my books. Nothing like real life experience.
    I'm growing an Eve's Necklace. I found it at the same place I found the Blackhaw. It's only a couple feet tall. They're related to TX Mountain Laurel but are more hardy. I didn't read anything about wildlife value. Then again this is all book info! PJ

• carolann_z8
    18 years ago

PJ, someone left a native Mimosa tree here from the swap.

I left it out there in the pot.

I don't know if it's still alive but if it is then you can have it.

I'm sure there will be more at the Spring swap.
    It's a common plant. I have seeds in ym yard from my neighbors.
    My Mom used to love them.

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

Native fragrant mimosa, mimosa borealis, are not the same as the tree we call mimosa. The mimosa in most people's yards is albiza julibrissin and originates from Persia and China.

Here is a link that might be useful: mimosa borealis

• jolanaweb
    18 years ago

The only tree, ha, that I'm buying this year is an Eve's Necklace.
    Kathy, When Billy was a little boy, he always worked out in the yard with me all of the time and we always had ageratums and we had a fragrant mimosa but he would always call it a Eager eden tree, cause he thought it was a big Ageratum
    Carol, there are a lot of people that don't like Mimosas but I still think they are beautiful.
    I wish I had a nickel for every necklace I made from the seeds,lol
    jolana

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

I, too, love mimosa. They are so pretty. There is one as I turn a corner to come into the neighborhood. I always watch for it to begin blooming.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolann, if it's a Silk Tree/Mimosa you didn't kill it! My neighbor has one growing out a crack in the cememnt! They do smell good. I'd rather have our hardier,(to me) prettier, and more rare Mimosa. I must say about the Silk Tree it did soooo utterly fantastic in the Mojave Desert. VERY,VERY few things smell good(dry air doesn't carry scent well) and perform in those extreme conditions and they didn't get the borer attacks...etc...that they do here. They don't spread over the countryside either. My mother's was too gorgeous and in that setting was an outstanding tree. PJ

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I decided to look up more about the Rusty Blackhaw Vib. to find out about pollinators. There are two different trees that are very similar in name and look! One is a Blackhaw Viburnum (Vib. Prunifolium) and a Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum(Vib. Rufidulum). The Prunifolium requires two trees for good fruit set. The Rufidulum (mine) Doesn't! Talk about good news/bad news! Now I don't have an excuse to buy a second tree but I will get a good fruit set either way! PJ

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

I hope I have the one that doesn't need a mate. Wonder how you can tell the difference. Did the book say? When I got mine all it said was Blackhaw.

Jolana I have several seedlings of the Eves Necklace so if you are unable to find the tree and want one of them please let me know.
    Patsy

• jolanaweb
    18 years ago

Patsy, you are a sweatheart, my Dr said they have them at Marbridge. I will take you up on your offer if I can't. I think those are one of the prettiest trees around.
    Thanks again
    jolana

• sally2_gw
    18 years ago

I didn't think that Viburnums were dioecious, meaning separate male and female trees, so I looked it up. In Robert Vine's book, "Trees, Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southwest" the description of the flowers of the Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum indicate both male and female parts. So, it is incorrect that they have separate male and female trees. That being said, it probably would not hurt to have more than one Rusty Blackhaw anyway, to help with pollination. Just like with fruit trees and berries, they just produce better with cross pollination.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I knew I liked you Sally! I've got it now! "(To DH)Honey I don't NEED a second tree for a pollinator but cross pollination is always better!" Wonder if he'll buy it. Listening to me yammer on and on about plants over the years he seems to be getting kinda savvy.....PJ

• jolanaweb
    18 years ago

Pj, every plant you put in your yard is an investment, that being said... they have to kept as healthy as possible,lol So that will take getting at least 2 trees

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

Great information. Now if only my buds survived this cold.
    Patsy

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jolana! I wish they'd put em on sale or something!
    Patsy, *sigh* our natives will more than likely survive this cold but I'M not counting on buds making it anytime soon. Or my (poutyface) blooms coming back before April. PJ

• sally2_gw
    18 years ago

Glad to be of help, PJ.

• jolanaweb
    18 years ago

Well, can you tell yet if your buds made it?
    Are y'all supposed to remain cold for a while?

• natvtxn
    18 years ago

Yesterday the high here was 33. It was 26 when I got up this am. and is now up to a whoppin' 30, with a forecasted high of 39. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 57.
    It doesn't look like we will get any sun until Wednesday.

OK, ENOUGH ALREADY!

• Jacquelyn8b
    18 years ago

This will be the second spring for my Eve's Necklace. Do you think it'll bloom at only about 5 feet tall?

I NEED one of those native mimosas. Where can I find it?

Yes, enough cold! Michael must have gotten too hot because of our electric mattress pad. When I woke up he was stretched across my pillow! He is such a bed hog.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You had a bed hog on yer pilla! LOL.
    I want a Fragrant Ash,Mimosa Borealis, and a TX Madrone. I've gotten lucky with a Cat's Claw Acacia,Kidneywood(smells heavely like an orangesicle) and of course my Blackhaw. I can't find the other 3 trees but I sure as h*ll haven't given up looking!
    The weather here is brutal. It's been around 27 degrees all day. We're getting these lil white floatie "dots" that arent rain or snow it's like styrofoam balls floating around. It's really weird. PJ

• sally2_gw
    18 years ago

Welcome to sleet, PJ. Actually, sleet doesn't usually float, it pounds, so I'm not sure what to call that stuff.

Sally

• Jacquelyn8b
    18 years ago

Hey PJ,

Natives of Texashref> has most of the things on our 'hit list'. I tried calling at 10:30 this morning but there was no answer or answering machine. Hopefully, they will respond to the email regarding shipping. But in all honesty, I'm pretty sure I will need to go there, with the trailer!

• jolanaweb
    18 years ago

Jac, I just clicked on that link and it didn't work. if that was a joke, not funny,lol
    Where is it?

• Jacquelyn8b
    18 years ago

I musta goofed - sorry!

www.nativesoftexas.com

They are eleven miles outside of Kerrville.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Witchita Valley www.fallsonline.com/wichitavalley

sorry I can only do a addy not a link(I did it by myself! whoo hoo)
    I've called a couple times. They know what they're talking about. Forget the trailer..how's about robbing a bank! I was amazed when I easily hit the 500.00 mark. I think it would be one of the few times my DH would get mad at me!!!They carry Madrones and it all.It's a little over 100 miles away and I'm afraid to go."To H*ll with the morgage we're here!!!"
    I see that the one in Kerrville is about the same. Thanks! PJ

• Jacquelyn8b
    18 years ago

"We do not ship due to excessive cost os shipping in 1 gal and above pots and also they end up as dirt in a box."

Guess that means a road trip!

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Road trip sounds so good right now. I'm so locked in the house hiding from the cold.Spring time? Y'know I gotta find and animal sitter somewhere....PJ

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

Checked the buds on my blackhaw yesterday. Looks like they made it thru the cold without damage. Fingers still crossed tho.
    Patsy

• jolanaweb
    18 years ago

Yea Patsy, Long term forecast for our area looks like the same for us chilly, hot, then cold and cold and rain, then warm lol

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My flowers(native ones) didn't seem too excited by the cold at all! I was 99% sure it wouldn't kill the plants but I was surprised about the lack of buds being "burned back". I'd now be surprised if yourRBV buds did get nipped.PJ

• freshair2townsquare
    15 years ago

PJ ~

How is your RBV doing? I'm thinking about getting one in October. I found them at Green Mama's, and I'm planning to check Weston next week.

~ Amy

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are doing great with very little care. Unfortunatly, I now live at a different house! AAAAAHHHHHHH! I called Weston's yesterday. They do get them in but usually in the spring. They didn't have RBVs or Caddo Maples when I called yesterday.PJ

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

Yippee!!! I just got my RBV!!! It's in a 3gal, which is much easier for me to handle than the 7gal and 15gal they had in the fall. V. rufidulum. Now to plant . . .

~ freshair

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Where did you find it? I've moved and want another one!!! PJ

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

green mama's in north richland hills - they had two others for $42 in 5gal - about 4ft tall in the pot

~ freshair

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Mama's

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanx! PJ

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

PJ, as much as you wanted that RBV and you didn't bring it with you????

Patsy, if you see this would you send me an email? I have tried to email you and they must not be going through

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I left them because they were settled in so well and didn't need extra care to live on after I was gone. If I'd killed one trying to move it I would feel SOOOO guilty. I couldn't find any info on transplanting so I didn't want to chance it. PJ

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!