Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beatrice_z10

relocating to Bell County

Beatrice_z10
13 years ago

I'm moving to Killeen this month for a new job. Is there anything special that I need to know about living in the Lone Star State? I went to elementary school in Tulsa, but I haven't spent a lot of time as an adult in the west.

Florida is home to me, but I've lived all over.

Beatrice

Comments (26)

• mikeb1206
    13 years ago

Welcome to Texas. Killeen is a nice area with plenty of Hot air in the summer.

Be sure and watch for upcoming plant swaps in your area so you can meet fellow plant junkies.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Ah, yes, Beatrice............lots of addicted plant junkies in Texas...........enjoy the plant swaps, and welcome !!!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Beatrice,
    Welcome to Bell county.
    When you get settled in post again and we can try to get together. I will bring you a welcome plant or two.
    princealbert (pa)

• carrie751
    13 years ago

See, Beatrice, generous gardeners all over the place....you are something else, Pa !!!!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

carrie751,

I want to get to meet as many garden webbers as I can.
    Who knows we may meet at one of the plant swaps.
    Which ones do you attend? I have been to the one in S.A. a couple of times. I think it is always a comfort to have someone greet you to a new area where you may not know anyone.

pa

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Pa, since I live north of Dallas, almost to Denton, I attend swaps up here. The one in San Antonio sounds like so much fun, but would have to be an overnight trip for me.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

carrie,
    I may try to make the one that melvalena and sylviatexas throws every year near the zoo this year. I will be in your shoes (too far to go ) after I move to the coast this summer.
    pa

• carrie751
    13 years ago

If I make that one, hope to see you there.

• mikeb1206
    13 years ago

I think a huge central Texas swap meet would be fun to attend. Just think of all the new faces the 2 hand warmers could meet.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

How "central", Mike? Hand warmers would love it.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Welcome to TX! I moved here from the West(LA). It's hot and humid like Florida.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

It is NOT like Florida. It also really matters on what side of Killeen you are on. The land changes remarkably from East to west right there. Hot , somewhat humid yes, Rainy , not necessarily. Good soil, not neccesarily, unless you haul it in. The natives are very interesting. I know of many who go to the Austin/Sanantonio plant swap that meets in Buda just south of Austin.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

beatrice,
    Remember traveling with kids? " Are we there yet??? --When are we going to get there???-- How much longer???-- Can we stop and get a hamburger? --He/She's looking at me." We had a boy and girl

Are you here yet????? LOL
    pa

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Well I guess I scared her off. Probably waiting for an internet connection. "The natives are very interesting"--- maybe they got her.
    Are you here yet??? -- How much longer???-- LOL
    pa

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I was wondering what happened to her as well............where are you????

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Probably unpacking and too exhausted to type even if she did find the computer. Glad it's not me moving AGAIN.

• Beatrice_z10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep - arrived 10 days ago. Trying to dig out of the moving debris!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

WELCOME!!
    Did you bring any of your plants with you?
    When you get ready to dig in again if you have room to grow something Just let us know. there are several garden webbers in temple,copperas cove and belton, all within 20-25 miles of you.

sending email with phone #
    pa.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Welcome!

• Beatrice_z10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In my last apartment I didn't have so much as a porch for a plant. Inside is no go - the cat either eats them or beats them to death. Now I have a porch with sunny southern exposure. I'll probably do a flower box of mixed lettuce and cherry tomatoes and the herbs that I have been missing. My actual gardening will be pretty limited unless I move to a bigger place! It's hard having no growing space!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

beatrice,
    Small brugs and hardy hibiscus make good patio plants.
    Not being pushy, e-mail if you want a couple of cuttings.
    pa

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

You might want to check out the container gardening forum too.
    It's amazing what determined folks can grow in a pot.

• Beatrice_z10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your offers of hospitality! Folks are friendly here.

• Beatrice_z10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I put a few basil and pepper plants in a box. I've made my start!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Yeah YOU!!!! :)

I don't know how you limited yourself.
    If it was me I'd way over do it.

• Beatrice_z10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Space is the limitation. I did take a plastic cat litter tub and drill it out for a tomato plant. The supply of cat litter tubs will never run out as long as the cat keeps eating. . .