Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toadlilly

who would do this/or does Heaven intervene w/dogs?

toadlilly
16 years ago

17 yo son comes in tonight with hubby, carrying a small female chihuahua. They drove up on someone dumping her out and speeding off-she's young-hasnt even had her 1st heat-clean-friendly-sweet pear shaped head and colored like my other two girls-(at first hubby thought IT WAS one of my chihuahuas:)-I wanted a male chihuahua to breed with my girls-hubby said I should have been more specific in my wanting. So, I'm contacting the powers that be about lost pets, and waiting to see if I have a new 'baby' just in time for Valentines Day! Their loss is my gain! CJ

Comments (24)

• justintx
    16 years ago

I don't know..................
    Did Heaven intervene on the dog's behalf or did Hell intervene giving you another chihuahua?
    ; - )
    I have one, too. Toughest dog to house break we ever had. Probably our last chihuahua, but she is a real sweet heart - not yappy or nippy.

I'll take it as a blessing on your behalf. :-)
    J.D.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Blessing!
    There are so many homeless Chihuahuas I'd create a home for more homeless puppies before I'd breed them. They are small dogs so you could have a whole herd!
    I'm glad puppy has a new home meanwhile.
    I had a Chuihua mix. Sweetest,dumbest most beloved rat dog I ever had. PJ

• toadlilly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Blessing is in the eye of the beholder-right? None of mine are snippy or yappy (so far:), this one is clean, beautiful coat, well cared for. VERY friendly-lap baby. I think she's fixed too:). She spent all night looking for her family-just pacing around-they just don't understand-today she is fitting in. My little chihuahua is NOT ok with her yet, the bigger chi is ok with anyone. The bassets love anyone that doesn't eat their food. (the common saying around here is you don't have to be bright to belong;) CJ

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

People who take good care of their pets don't throw them out of car windows:

The person who tossed her out of the car was more likely to have been the owner's ex-boyfriend who was bent on revenge or some such, & today some heartbroken person is crying her eyes out.

Do the right thing, & call the vets & shelters & try to find her real owners, & keep an eye out for signs, posters, & classified ads.

If you do end up keeping her, please get her spayed, & get your other females spayed;
    not only is pregnancy, birth, & nursing *very* hard on Chihuahuas, but pj's right;
    there are many Chihuahuas in the world right now who need homes.

Last night an old friend called me.

He had bred his male & took the "pick of the litter", a male, as a stud fee.

My friend said that he was afraid "Junior", was going to kill "Senior";
    Junior's a grown dog now, & he wants to be the only male.

The friend told me he was desperate to get rid of Junior, & could I please take him;
    I was his last hope, & the next step was the pound.

Luckily, I knew someone who had been looking for a small dog, & she went over & got the dog last night.

There are way too many Chihuahuas in those kinds of circumstances to breed more.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

"My friend said that he was afraid "Junior", was going to kill "Senior";
    Junior's a grown dog now, & he wants to be the only male. "
    Sylvia has an important point.

I read about same sex aggression and have to watch my "girls" for aggression on eachother. Same sex dogs frequenlty have a problem living together. Some cohabitate just fine. It's the luck of the draw on what your dogs personality will be. My girls aren't from the same litter and there are large gaps in age (11,6, and 3) so it's not as pronounced as long as I keep the establised heiarchy in place (oldest to youngest). Same age,same sex dogs would be very,very difficult.

Here's an excerpt from a dog site that I've read a few times in different places:
    "dominance is a big issue between dogs especially if there from the same litter."

I've also read about mother/daughter aggression as the mother ages and the daughter get stronger. PJ

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hi Cj - Thank you and god bless you, for taking the poor little puppy in. We got our ''baby boy'' as payment for a small tile job. Hubby went to school/grew up with the family and couldn't accept money. So, they had a large litter of Chi babies - they were adorable! The guys wife, noticed my interest in the pups and said ''pick you one out- you know you want to''. I looked at hubby and he laughed so hard - he knew I had to have one. The little cuties! So, I picked one out. He was fierce and loyal, to us for 20 yrs. He put up, with our kids and grandkids. But they knew - who the boss was around here. He passed in June of 2006. I am still grieving over him. He was one of our kids, they all grew up together. I don't know ,if I will ever be able to have another ''dog baby''.
    So, please adore them all. They don't stay with us, long enough. Goodluck - tina_2

Here's a pic. of our little boy.

{{gwi:587081}}

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Sylvia has a point. It could even be that someone stole the car and the dog was in it when they stole it. Who knows? It happens with children in cars, it could happen with a dog in a car. Maybe she has a chip.

If that's not the case, and she's an intact female puppy that has been dumped, please get her spayed without her having puppies first.

All that being said, it sure was a kind thing your son and hubby did.

Good luck!

Sally

• denisew
    16 years ago

I'd say that dog was lucky your husband and son were there to come to the rescue. Good luck with trying to find the owner and even more luck on keeping her.

"The bassets love anyone that doesn't eat their food. (the common saying around here is you don't have to be bright to belong;)" I had to laugh hard at this comment. We have a female basset who thinks she is starving all the time. She tries to show dominance over our male yellow lab by "humping" on him while he is laying down. They get along fine, but occasionally one needs to show who is boss. They don't argue over the food either. She gobbles up her food then goes to his bowl to eat whatever is left. She was skin and bones when we adopted her, so I'm sure that is why she has the need to eat so much - she was starving before the SPCA got a hold of her. She now looks like a big, round sausage!

• toadlilly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've contacted all the lost dog places, and we are keeping an eye out for lost posters. I'm kind of hoping kids dumped her and somewhere is her owner wondering what happened. SHE IS FIXED!!! And we're happy about that. She has a long list of bad habits (but none our last rescue didn't have:) so her last family may have just been tired of her. She has a place here if need be. :)

Tina, I know about the 'mourning' thing-my 'baby' died in a couple of years back. She was moody, snippy, and the love of my life-we were HER family. A year and a half later and I met Wawa (teenagers named her) a rescue from a local pound. What a sweetheart. We had to move, and couldn't take her, so I found a home for her, boy I missed her, then we found out we could have her here, so after much debating, I emailed her new family. They had just separated, WaWa was living with in-laws, and they were going to have to find a home for her. SSSSOOO, I drove right over and brought her back home. Never have I missed a dog so much. She knew me right off (made my heart smile:), and was so happy to see the family. She was gone months, yet it was like she never left. They worm their way in and make you theirs. CJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Toadlilly, what a sweet person you are.

Sally

• element321
    16 years ago

I really do not understand why people "throw away" any animals. There are plenty of shelters that will take an unwanted animal.

About 2 years ago my wife and I went to a small dog rescue show. We found our puppy at that show and we have never been happier. We are planning to go get another dog and we plan on going back to the same foster person that we got our little girl from.

Our dog was a "throw away". Somebody left the poor little thing in the back of a stranger's pickup in a Wal-martparking lot in the heat of summer! We really can not figure out why. She is so sweet and only wants to be around us.

She is a poodle terrier mix.

• toadlilly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a cutie! I bet she was a super cute puppy.

I don't understand dumping either. But I know around here there is no where to take your animals. You have to live 'in town' to use the pound, and most of us live in the country.

My hubby would die if I went to a dog rescue show!

I'm really thankful hubby and son were right there (I mean RIGHT there, had they known what was going on they could have reported the lic), we live way down a dirt road, and I don't know how long it would have taken her to find us. Also we have roaming bobcats...ooo hate to think about it.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

I don't understand how people can do this, but I have two great dogs because of it. We found the youngest one about 4 years ago in the Valley. She was 6 weeks old, dumped by the road and near death. We named her Rio! Our 13 year old dog was left at a shelter and rescued by a wonderful group called the Animal Trustees of Austin. His name is Robbie.

I love Chihuahuas! My childhood pet was a Chi/Manchester Terrier named Tinker Bell (before Paris Hilton was even alive!). I got her in 1st grade and she died my sophomore year in college. She was SO smart.

• greatnan
    16 years ago

Could be she was an adorable puppy and the owner lost interest as she got older. Dumping dogs is a common practise in the country living area were we are and you can only rescue so many. We have 3 and love them so much, we call them either our girls or furbabies.

Thanks for taking the Chi in and know you'll give her a good home. To many dogs not enough people :(

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Too many irresponsible people who will not take the necessary steps to keep them from reproducing. I also do not understand shelters who will let an animal be adopted without spaying or neutering. I hope someday we become civilized enough to understand that these little guys are at our mercy, and we need to do the right thing by them. One of my two Yorkies that we rescued 8 years ago has never completely forgotten whatever bad experience he had before we got him. At least, he will have a good home for as long as he lives.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Texas law now requires shelters & pounds to be sure the animals are spayed or neutered before they're adopted.

This little Chihuahua, young, healthy, & evidently already spayed, doesn't sound like an example of overpopulation or of owner disinterest; it sounds like she was stolen & dumped.

sounds strange, but angry boyfriends have been known to do it, & I once had a woman call me from a town *30 miles away* to come get my dog;
    the people who had stolen him evidently tossed him out when they realized he'd been neutered!

It's just tragic.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Sylvia, it may be a Texas law, but it's certainly NOT observed by all shelters. Flower Mound has a new one (only about a year old) within two miles of me, and they do not require it. I cannot support a shelter that does not require this.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Check with the state attorney general in your area;
    not sure that's the right place, but that office should be able to at least direct you to the right place.

It's another unfortunate fact that city & county "shelters" don't always obey the law, & while a citizen might not be able to convince them, the state can.

• linda_tx8
    16 years ago

As for there being plenty of shelters that will take an unwanted animal, I wish that were true here. I have a list of all the shelters in the general area. None are taking animals from anyone who calls. Some don't answer the phone, some only have the answering machine, some just say they already have too many animals, etc. I've been trying for quite a while. There are 2 stray cats around here, probably dumped. We have too many cats already. One of the two has a collar and is neutered.

• linda_tx8
    16 years ago

As for there being plenty of shelters that will take an unwanted animal, I wish that were true here. I have a list of all the shelters in the general area. None are taking animals from anyone who calls. Some don't answer the phone, some only have the answering machine, some just say they already have too many animals, etc. I've been trying for quite a while. There are 2 stray cats around here, probably dumped. We have too many cats already. One of the two has a collar and is neutered.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I feed all stray cats at my house, and get plenty dumped on me here in the country. If we can tame them, we take them to have them spayed or neutered, or we try to trap them for the same reason. I don't mind their being here, I just don't want them to reproduce.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

carrie, I'd just like to say...

Amen, Sistah!

• blubelle
    16 years ago

All my dog have been dogs i have rescued because they were left ot dumped. My dog of 9 yrs died of cancer and it broke my heart! We have had 3 dogs stolen from the yard and when I thought I had found one of them it was a dog that had wandered up this ladies house.
    it was a boxer/pit, she was nothing but skin and bones and just a timid as can be.
    I took her in and bathe her and cut her nails , the whole nine yards and protected her from my male...he's tempermental...LOL
    And now she goes after my younger female and tried to kill her..she even took on my bigger Lab/Great Dane....
    My kind heart got me a dog that somebody dumped I figured because she was that way.
    I am going to have to get rid of her...I just hope someone can break her of that nasty habit.....I am afraid she will have to be put down.
    She is no problem when she is not around other dogs or food and other dogs.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

blubelle, my sympathies are with you.

I've been there & done that, & there *are* some dogs whose prey drive is so strong that they cannot live with other pets.

It didn't end happily for me (I had to have a healthy dog euthanized), but I couldn't keep her, & I couldn't in good conscience give her to someone else;
    sometimes it's the only thing you can do.

The only thing that made me feel better at all was realizing that the last part of her life was healthy, well-fed, & protected.