Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

Spring IS Here!

bossjim1
17 years ago

I just checked the ten day forecast for Alvin. The lowest daily high temp. will be 61, the lowest nightly low temp. will be 44, and since March the 1st is our average last freeze, I am officially declaring,(call me a fool), that SPRING IS HERE in Alvin, Texas.

Jim

(can I get my crow served on a bed of rice?)

Comments (69)

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Butterflies on the pink verbena this morning. May not have to eat crow(or whooping crane).
    Jim

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

JIM! Congratulations! I love that sight. *sigh*

Well, if we have a native bird barbeque for whatever reason, I do hope you will attend.

• justintx
    17 years ago

You know the chicken on the stick at the Chinese food places???? Just what part of a chicken does that come from?!?!?!? (you never see stray cats around Chinese food buffets - does that concern anyone else?)
    J.D.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Naw... I'm from CA(huge Asian population)tastes like chicken. I've also been in a couple 3rd world countries (as a kid)where I KNOW I ate "other than" domestic animals. Couldn't/wouldn't let myself priss out after seeing so many people without food.PJ

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

We used to eat horse meat (well, we weren't sure - we called it mystery meat. It was whitisher than beef) when I was in Italy. They only served it on the weekends when most students were elsewhere, cause it was the costlier stuff.

JD, there is a show on cable now where a guy goes around eating gross stuff all over the world. They actually had a segment where he and a friend went to a place that served *all* the parts of the chicken skewered. Some of them weren't too tasty, so I think you can rest assured that you are getting the normal chicken meat thing if it tastes okay.

OH, HEY, and enough with the CAT comments, buster! *snort*

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

About a block from here, I saw a mesquite leafing out today. Folk lore is we don't have a killing freeze after they leaf out.

• justintx
    17 years ago

natvtxn - I believe the mesquite budding consensus. Last year's late frost caught some young inexperienced mesquites off guard. I noticed that the older ones hadn't leafed out yet - just some of the babies (less than 6').

PPB - ok, I will NEVER mention C** again. ;-) (I've been told I'm a horrible liar .............or maybe that was just horrible - oh, I can't remember)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Well, we had 2 freeze nights a couple of nights ago, long past frost date, lol
    Lastnight was 39. The 7 day forecast looks good 40's going to 50's, they threw a chance of rain in there but IF we get it, will just be some drizzles.
    It's hard to believe, not too long ago it didn't seem like the rain was going to stop

I am so ready for this cold to be over.
    I regret ever picking on people for being cold, I am a big ole wimp about cold now, LOL

Jim have you had a freeze again down there?

PPB, I guess I can't honestly say I haven't eaten horse, lol but I hope not.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No Freeze, Jolana. We dodged the bullet. It got down to 34.
    Jim

• justintx
    17 years ago

Dang!!! And I had the coals going!!
    J.D.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Keep 'em handy, LOL

• justintx
    17 years ago

Well,,,,,,if I have to keep this "whooper" much longer, we'll have to turn it into a chili cook-off.
    J.D.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Just keep it iced, LOL

• justintx
    17 years ago

I've just GOT to do something.............it takes up LOTS of room in the refrigerator. (be thinking about what to do with a 3 foot long drumstick.)

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This weather has emboldened me. I'll have steak, Beef steak that is. NO crow, or whooper.
    Jim

• justintx
    17 years ago

I'm fixin to bet with you, Jim.

j.d.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Your just lookin' at havin' to eat that whooper all by yourself!
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Well, I'm torn on who to bet on.
    Jim's odds are better but my mesquites haven't budded but the pecan has, hmmmm

• remuda1
    17 years ago

I don't know if it means anything, but the leaves on my live oaks are turning yellowish and getting ready to drop. I looked yesterday and they are budding out as well. The Beautyberry is leafing out, the Don Juan rose is ablaze with new growth, Hardy Hibiscus is putting out new growth along with my Datura. I also noticed the other day that the cedar elms are leafing out.

My mesquite buds are swelling but are still tightly closed.

Kristi

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Live oaks have all leafed out down here, and the pecan buds are swelling.
    Jim

• justintx
    17 years ago

I'm watching the mesquites, too. Even if the little ones "lied" last year.

J.D.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Well, I lied. I checked this evening when I was out feeding the pasture ornaments and although this isn't a very good picture, you *should* be able to see the buds breaking on the mesquite here.

They're coming out at the base of every thorn.

Kristi

• justintx
    17 years ago

Well, when they "pop" they "pop"!!! Now, is that an "experienced" tree??

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Hot Dang, my question is..what's up with yours buddin first, lol
    Maybe they have to get colder than they do here, ya think?
    I better look at all of them tomorrow, the closest ones might be tricksters
    Thanks for posting this, you have made my night
    jolana

• justintx
    17 years ago

I believe it was a Johnson county mesquite that lied to me last year, too.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Dang, those are serious thorns. It's been a number of years since I have seen a mesquite up close and personal.

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

Oh, I'm sooo glad I came back and read more of this post. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

JD, I'm sorry the Johnson County mesquite lied to you. I wonder what the Dallas County mesquites are doing? I remember when all of fancy pants Las Colinas was nothing but mesquite and I thought, gee there must be something you could do with that. What about barbeque? But did I buy acres of mesquite and sell it for smoking meat? Nope.

Mesquite grilled whooper, coming right up. I wonder if there is a grill that will fit the drumstick?

• justintx
    17 years ago

Yesterday, the Dallas county mesquite were sipping lattes beside the Trinity. They wouldn't speak to me,,,,,, as usual. Soooooooo I just kept cutting them down. You know, Jerry Jones has lots of security on the back of his place. I lost nearly half that load of wood jumping the barricades, but there'll be plenty for the bar-b-q.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

JD, the tree in question is about 7 or 8 years old, been mowed down a couple of times in that time frame but is now much too big to run over. There is another one fairly close to it but it's only a couple of years old and it's buds are just beginning to break.

Kristi

• justintx
    17 years ago

I'm about to agree that we have seen our last freeze. Still, the worst snow storm I EVER remember was in March of about 1972 or 73. We had been having wonderful days like this - then the rain started, and it froze. Ended up with 2"-3" of ice covered with 9" of snow. We were out of school nearly 2 weeks (Wichita Falls).

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Still watching the long range forecast, but we might have seen the last of below 40 deg. temps, which means I can finally get the tropicals out of my hallway! YES!

Put the Meyer Lemon back out, Saturday. Have had the smaller pots out all last week.

Rick

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

Who is bringing desert to the bbq?

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I will, I will, what goes well with whooper? LOL

• justintx
    17 years ago

Probably bread puddin'. I think that's what they serve the other inmates at Huntsville with the same eating habits.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

LOL, okay, I can do that and I'm not even going to ask how you know that, lol

• justintx
    17 years ago

Thank you.

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

I hate bread pudding. I want something creamy and Italian. 8-D

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

My mesquites are leafing.
    Spring is truly here for me, hope for y'all

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

*grumph* it'sa gonna freeze.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Okay, PPB, I had a light frost this morning, how was it at your house????? Did it freeze????

• remuda1
    17 years ago

It was 37 here this morning but no frost. The forecasted low was 43 so I didn't do anything to protect the plants but they are all fine, including all of the tomatoes and ornamentals that went in the ground yesterday. Dodged the bullet I guess, but all of the things that I've been keeping in and that are still in containers (even baby pepper plants) are hardened off, so maybe that helped.

Kristi

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

J.D., come on down, and bring the steaks! It only got down to 40 here. If you don't bring steaks I guess I'll have to have Hot Dogs.
    Jim

• bev1951
    16 years ago

OOOhhh how sweet, that 1 doesn't need ketchup, mustard, or onions to make it perfect. Bev

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Adorable!!!!

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Oh my Gosh JIM!! That is so sweet, I want one, I want one!!!! Whew not really, just couldn't help myself there for a moment. What a cute little snuggle buggle. Put a kiss on it's cute little bum for me?

Kristi

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

No whooper for me, it froze. Didn't it? I think it did.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Cute hot dog! Don't let my big girls see that!(Actually, they tolerate puppies fine...it's older dogs that get em going.)PJ

• justintx
    16 years ago

Jim,
    I don't think I froze here at Justin either- Alliance Airport showed 39°F this a.m. Just got through "un-mulching" my begonias and putting the other "tenders" back out.

I can't seem to find my puppy recipe. Maybe PJ can find something from her world travels log.
    J.D.

• remuda1
    16 years ago

We got down to 32 degrees but I guess all those empty boxes, plant containers, sheets, blankets, fall leaves and row cover did the trick. I think everything is going to be fine. BIG smile!

Kristi

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I don't want to think about what I ate in Asia thankyou Justin! Want to hear the scary part? It tasted a whole Hell of a lot better than any fast food here. What are they putting in Mc D's food and why is it grey? LOL!PJ