Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Last Frost

seamommy
14 years ago

Well, this should be it. According to the almanac it was to be the 18th, so if it freezes tonight and tomorrow night that should be the end of it. I hope so, I am so ready for the next growing season I am aching all over. All my bulbs are up and blooming and they look wonderful. Greedy fool that I am though, I want more, more, more!!

I finally found blue hyacinth bulbs today at the BX on JRB. I've been looking all over for them and had all but given up. Nobody seemed to have them. My mother had a tradition of bringing her mother blue hyacinths in a glass bowl on Mother's Day every year. I don't remember that, but she said she had done it for 40 years until Granny died in 1989. Then Mom moved into the Retirement Home in January & she found the old glass bowl she always used for the bulbs and gave it to me. I asked her what I was supposed to do with it she told me to put the bulbs in, add water and give it to her on Mother's Day. Guess I'm lucky to have found them, huh?

This is one thing I really like about Texas, the short winters and long Spring, Summer and Fall. COME ON SPRING!!!

Cheryl

Comments (10)

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think my nieghbor killed my collie. Bonnie didn't chase cars or bark or growl at anyone, she never was aggressive. We got her a couple years ago when she was abandoned in the neighborhood. We found her with ticks and fleas and her coat completely matted into a giant wad. We had her treated by the vet, and cleaned up by the groomers and she turned into a wonderful pet. Vet siad she was only about 6 years old. She was housebroken, she would sit, stay, lay down, heel and shake hands. My grandson could pull her ears or her tail, ride on her back and lay on her on the floor. She did like to get out of the yard some days and ramble around the neighborhood. Best we can tell this obnoxious neighbor came barrelling out of her driveway at 40 mph (like she always does) and just ran the dog down in the street. She knows that Bonnie is our dog, just like 5 years ago when she ran down another dog of ours, Abby. Both dogs were killed right in front of her driveway, about 20' from the corner of our front yard. Nobody saw it happen, but my gut is telling me she did it.

Not long after this neighbor moved in I heard hysterical screaming coming from her back yard. I knew she had two children and a swimming pool. From the tone of her screams I was afraid that one of the children had gotten into the pool and drowned. So I grabbed my cell phone and started running towards her house, just praying that the child could be revived. When I got closer I could see that she was in the back yard and I started to dial 911. Then she came around to the garage entrance and was crying incoherently. So I grabbed her and asked her what happened. She told me it was none of my @^&)#(%*! business but her (#&! son locked the (#@*$! keys in her #@(*&! truck and she had to #@(* break a (#*@&! window in her #$&! house to get to the *#$&*! spare keys. Needless to say I was relieved that her son was alive, but I told her next time I heard her screaming like that I hoped that she didn't have a real emergency because I wasn't going to come running to help her.

She and her husband have been very hostile to us ever since the ugly key incident. But why would anyone kill their neighbors dog? And such nice ones too. Manys the time I've slowed down to avoid hitting her dogs in the street. Her dogs have come into our yard many times to play with our dogs and they have always been welcomed just like all the other dogs in the neighborhood. I feel so sad and I just don't know what to do. Our other little dog, Spot, is devastated and hasn't eaten since Friday. How can people be so cruel?

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I am so very sorry, Cheryl, and yes, how can people be so cruel? I can't hurt a "bad" dog, much less one that is as sweet and lovable as yours. I had a collie many years ago, and she was wonderful with my daughter. I feel there will be a time of reckoning for people like this, we just may not get the opportunity to witness it. You have my deepest sympathy, and I hope your grief will lessen. God Bless !!!!

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Carrie. When our other dog, Abby was killed I thought it was an accident and that maybe they were too afraid or ashamed to come and tell me they did it. But I don't think so anymore. The cowards hit both the dogs with their car and left them to suffer and die alone in the street. I always slow down for dogs in the street, same way I do for other animals, people and children. I would never hurt anyone's dog on purpose no matter how much I disliked a person, the animals are innocent.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I could not agree more......I have almost wrecked my car just to keep from hitting a squirrel or rabbit when they dart out in front of me. Dogs usually give more warning. Anyway, I drive slowly down our road as there are many animals out here, and I could not live with myself if I hit one of them. I have been know to flag down vehicles that are going too fast and ask them to slow down. I am the silly woman on the corner..............LOL>

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

That is so very sad. I am so sorry for your loss. How heartless your neighbor sounds. If you were on good terms, you could go over there and explain your dog got hit, and you are asking everyone in the neighborhood to go slow and be careful - it could be a child next.

Of course, if you aren't speaking to the neighbors, it would be best not to go over there. On another forum here on GW, a member got into such a rift with his neighbor until he (the GW member) suffered a heart attack. Neighbors can be wonderful, or horrible. Sorry you got one of the bad ones.

Again, so sorry for your loss. Our pets are such loving members of the family. And your poor little Spot that is missing his friend - so sad! No words can help you feel better at this time. Take care.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

Oh Cheryl, I am so very sorry about your collie :( Your neighbor sounds awful....

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry.

Can you find out if they've had complaints filed against them or if the police have come out on domestic violence calls?

I had a very bad neighbor who ran me nuts for a number of years;
    only after they moved did another neighbor admit that she knew the bad neighbor was indeed bad.

If I'd only known, I would have been better able to cope with their horrors.

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

So sorry for your loss Cheryl.

I am shocked that a dog owner of all people could do that to someone else's dog. It does sound like these people are unbalanced. It sucks to have bad neighbors.

I have to say that the last renters next to my moms house (where I garden) had a cocker spaniel that would bark at me like it wanted to rip my throat out the entire time I ever dared be in my own backyard it never got used to me even after a year. The dog's owners were so flippant about it saying "oh he sure likes to talk to you" or "you think its bad out here, you should hear it in the house, it gets so loud we have to put him outside". I know it wasn't the dogs fault its owners failed to train him and although I admit I had fantasies about the dog getting out and running away, I could never have fathomed hurting an animal, let alone someones pet.

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant but what I am trying to say is that I think I would be very cautious around these people, they clearly aren't stable. My prayers were finally answered when opportunities elsewhere caused my neighbors to move away. I'll pray for your neighbors to get a similar opportunity.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss and sorry that you have such rotten neighbors
    Nik

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not aware of any police complaints against them or of any domestic violence. My nieghbor who lives nearest to them said that he thought that she was the one who killed Bonnie and that she screams and curses all the time at her husband and son.

I have lain awake at night since last Friday, angry, frustrated and helpless. I wouldn't hurt anybody or any animal. But I couldn't talk to this woman without mentioning that I think she is a filthy, heartless, no-good bottom-dweller, she probably belongs behind bars or at least in a mental ward, she has a sewer for a mouth, she has a nose like a casaba melon, she's dumb as a hammer, and her behind is two ax-handles and pack of cigarettes across the beam. She is disliked by everyone who knows her and her husband is having an affair with a stripper, a male stripper. (but that last part would be a lie) So as you can see, any face-to-face with her would be somewhat counter-productive.

I will continue to do what I have done for the past ten years that she's been my neighbor, I will smile and wave when I see her or her husband even though they never acknowledge my greetings, I will slow down and go around her dogs when they are in the street and I will go on with my life as if she wasn't there. Like Carrie said, someday something will happen to her and she will be suffering and even though she will probably resent it, I will offer her my sympathy. I will have nothing to regret.

Thanks to everyone for your kind, supporting words and empathy. I appreciate it so very much. I will always miss my Bonnie girl.

Cheryl

• Deb Chickenmom
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry, Cheryl. I just read about Bonnie this evening. You must be so upset.

Your neighbor sounds like a nightmare. I think your plan to continue your usual smile and wave is excellent. No matter what kind of behavior she may practice, you know you are doing the right thing and not endangering any animal or person.

I hope you don't have more problems with her. There really are crazy people out there and unfortunately it seems some of them are your neighbors.

I wish there was some way to help them move somewhere they might fit in better....I'm trying to imagine where that might be??? Maybe in the middle of a desert where no one else would be affected by their behavior?? Or possibly to a psycho ward where everyone wears one of those jackets with the extra long sleeves that fasten in back?

Take care of yourself and know that you gave Bonnie a wonderful life and much happiness while she was a part of your family.

Debby