Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maden_theshade

Guerrilla Gardening!

maden_theshade
15 years ago

heehee...I've done some more guerrilla gardening! I had some extra daffodil bulbs and I stuck them in my neighbors untended bed across the street. :-) She already has a few daffs there, but they haven't done much b/c she doesn't seem to ever water her yard. So for now, I sneak over in the am and throw some water on them! It will be nice to have something pretty to look at from my front door.

Comments (11)

• plantmaven
    15 years ago

I transplanted baby columbine plants to my neighbor's. I felt like Johnny Appleseed.

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

Respecting other people's property, is something we should all do.

If they don't want flowers, then respect that.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

I've done a little gentle guerrilla gardening myself :-) Sometimes it's to toss a few non invasive seeds around and sometimes when I ran out of space for roses and other things I'd plant them next door. My neighbors love it. And besides -- I get to enjoy the plants, and they get to water them, so why not?

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

I've been comtemplating doing a spring shrub pruning at a David Powers Home across the street that's been on the market for over a year. Since it sounds like he's on the verge of bankruptcy, maybe if the shrubs were at least pruned someone might at least think take a look at the house. Sorry, I'm not even tempted to try anything with the Bermuda grass that's gotten into the landscaping over there.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Sometimes people plant hardy plants in public places, like the areas around stop signs & bus stops, to make the world a more beautiful place.

The Divine Miss M, Bette Midler, has become a renowned garden advocate in New York City, helping to re-claim abandoned sites for community gardens & such & getting city funds to help with expenses.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

I didn't know that about Bette Midler! Nice.

I planted a Marie Gonzales rose across the street on the corner of some vacant land. Carried water to it in a bucket for weeks to get it going.

Smart little rose! It built its own little cage around itself out of thorny dead stems to keep the deer away and bloomed away inside it's cage.

I looked across the street one day and saw a man kicking the heck out of it while his wife cheered him on from inside the car. I went marching over there with my hand on my pruning holster and asked him what did he think he was doing! He was trying to kick it loose from the dirt and take it home! I explained that I had planted and nurtured it and to please leave it be and he apologized and drove off.

Marie Gonzales later disappeared :-( Anyway that was my one foray into planting on non occupied land.

However, another neighbor has planted various cactus and agaves on an traffic island near by and no one has bothered them :-)

Happy planting, but be prepared to defend your plants.

• tesa001
    15 years ago

theres acutally a book out there with that title
    gorilla gardening

its actually quite funny, i like the way she writes

the authors name escapes me, my friend let me borrow it
    a few months ago

i think her idea of gorilla gardening it to sneek around
    and take cuttings at places like old homestead sites,
    or along the side of the road and such

she's got some really funny stories about taking cuttings

a friend of mine got busted trying to take a cutting at
    the zoo

i wasn't with her, but she called me later and told me
    they fussed at her preaty good, and made her give the
    cutting back

on the other hand, i think planting things in places
    that need some beautiyfing is lovley

that gives me an idea

maby i'll toss out some seeds of someting that i'm
    sure will grow without too much human intervention
    one day

i like the idea of johnny appleseed, he was a cool dude

tesa

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

I read that book, too, tesa, & at first I liked it, but then she went (I think) too far, taking plants that she wasn't "saving" but just *taking* from wherever they were.

I call it "feral gardening" when I add something to someone else's environment (or to everyone's environment, such as planting morning glories on street corners or at bus stope or medians or roadsides), & I really do like that idea.

• maden_theshade
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Feral Gardening...that is funny! Do you TNR your transplants! haha

Now Rick, don't be mad at me. It was one little bulb and she already had some daffs there. Just neglected, that's all. I watered hers along w/ the new one I put out there. Think of it as a random act of kindness.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

TNR=Trap Neuter Release

Nah, I like the plants, unlike feral kitties, to go forth & multiply!

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

Well, I guess that's better than the neighbors that were stealing the plants from folks. (smile)