Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

Everyone please keep an eye on the weather

jolanaweb
17 years ago

Before you go out to garden or go off to work.

There is some creepy stuff going on.

This is TX Spring and y'all know how unpredictable it is but when they are expecting nasty weather keep a close eye, please

We used to do a storm check in here, maybe we should start that back up

jolana

Comments (51)

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No the thing won't, I'm typing it

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

oops, forgot to say "they" are predicting 60% showers here Saturday. I sure hope they are wrong.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, showers I'm not worried about, gardeners are used to being showered on, lol

• bev1951
    17 years ago

We had Thunder & Lightening, high winds, hail & rain last night. Haven't checked for any damage yet, will do that when DH leaves for work. I'd moved my seedlings into a couple of sheltered corners yesterday & covered those already planted out but it was hard to stay in last night & leave them in the storm. I caught a brief bit about tornadoes touching down in counties East of us this am while fixing breakfast. A few days ago Clovis NM was hit, it is definitely that time of year again. Does everyone have a safety plan & a safe place to go when tornadoes are predicted ?

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Conditions in North Texas are less favorable to extreme weather. Basically hope that is correct. Expect 70% chance of light rain/showers today through tomorrow.

Hail I can do without......I need a pic of my Kwanza Cherry while it is in full bloom, which is as soon it stops raining long enough.

• denisew
    17 years ago

We always joke here in Allen how we will see rain on the radar all around us, but it will be dry as a bone here. We figured there is a big dome over us - at least when it starts to warm up more. We have been receiving rain this week - much needed here to fill our lakes up again. Fishermen can't even take their boats out on Lake Lavon because the ramps are all closed. The rain we had in Dec. & Jan. added 7 feet back to the lake, but we still need more. I can't wait until the watering restrictions are lifted here, especially when we're not getting rain every week or so.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Heh. Current weather map shows rain going north and south.....leaving the metroplex to settle for the drizzle. Now why doesn't that surprise us?

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Very little of it here at my house, Rick. And Denise, I thought we were the only area getting left high and dry most of the time. I have watched the clouds acutally split and go on either side of us, and we would get "nary a drop".

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Funny you should say something. We had total "squalls" and the sky turned a funky *ss yellow. I was nervous as all get-out!
    Earlier in the day,we also got a gorgeous double rainbow that was a full arch. I was so happy to see such a gorgeous rainbow and skip the funnel! PJ

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Ditto what PJ said.

That was a creepy looking sky for a while.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Y'all just keep an eye on it. I kept checking the news and then here and no one was posting
    PJ, I haven't seen a double rainbow in years
    The rain and I played tag all day.
    It would stop raining, I would go outside, then it would start raining again, that happened all day.
    Finally, I just decided to clean up the cannas aroound the carport, I stayed under and reached out to grab the winter brown uglies from the bed, lol

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Last time I checked yesterday evening, we had gotten just over two inches. It was still raining then. I was on my way home from Cleburne when it really hit, lightening was pretty spectacular and rain was HARD! The culverts I dug with the bobcat on either side of the driveway were over their banks when I got here. Hope some of you that have missed out, get some today.

Kristi

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, we want an even spread of good steady, slow rain over Texas. Nothing severe

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

there's a beast growling outside right now

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Well, it went south and north, and we barely got enough to even hear inside the house, about 10 pm last night.

Not going to do the lake much good, but at least the new seed is wet.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

My county (Ellis) is on the news, people getting stranded in their cars & being rescued by boat & helicopter & stuff.

This was east of I-45, between Ferris & Bristol.

Here on the home front, near Red Oak, I'm sloshing & squishing, but no disasters that I know of.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

So far 1" of rain. I knew I was doing the right thing loading my plants...er somebody else's plants.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Timing is everything eh natv? I had to wait for a break in the storm to run out and get my chickens inside! Farmer PJ to the rescue! LOL!PJ

• bev1951
    17 years ago

It's pouring outside again, a little thunder & lightening earlier but just plain rain now. This am's sunrise was bright red, of course I still can't take pictures, but it was a beautiful sight. Red in the morning sailor's warning, red at night sailor's delight . . . isn't that the way it goes ? I'm sure Lubbock's streets are completely flooded. We don't have a real drainage system, the collected rain just rolls down the streets until it gets to the nearest playa pond. From there out to Yellow House Canyon. Weeding is going to be so much easier this weekend ! I hope it completely soaks all of Texas before it moves off. I just read someplace that we're in the El Nino ? now but will be changing to La Nina ? I had to laugh at my brother this am, he called to tell me he woke up to 6" of snow !!! He can keep it!! PJ did you ever post any pictures of your chickens or your pond & bog ?

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Yup.....that is the saying.....trouble is it depends on where you are.

Basically, the red is the sunlight on clouds, at a steep angle, (which means the intensity is low due to the angle of incidence.) Theory is, clouds in the morning means you are about to get a storm, but then if the weather pattern where you are, is west to east, maybe not. Clear weather could be headed your way, instead.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I just had my first "wave" of heavy rain - did not last long, but was raining at the rate of 1.62 inches per hour according to my weather station (posted outside - info read inside). Now it is lightening up again as if MN cannot make up her mind what she wants to do.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Ya know that "heat cap" they love to talk about on the weather? I think it is simply vehicle pollution that causes the rain to split around DFW. You can watch a squall line separate as it approaches the metro area, with half going more northerly and half going more southerly, as the line approaches the metroplex.

Heat cap, baloney. Just pure people pollution.

• LaurelLily
    17 years ago

THIS WEEKEND'S FORECAST:

The MoM plant will start raining volunteers in Laurel's yard. The volunteers will start rooting in all of the swaps pots, and thus all Laurel's swappers will all unwittingly receive a very dangerous plant (Laurel will be oblivious to this, as she is a sweet, lovely, charming woman who would never willingly give anybody such a horrible plant... well, except that one girl). These gardeners will take the plant home and later attend future swaps, while passing along new MoM offspring without realizing. Soon everybody on TX GW will have flowerbeds infested with MoM. TX GW will slowly infect the rest of GW, which will slowly infect gardeners who aren't on GW, who will slowly infect neighbors and landscapers, and soon THE WORLD WILL BE POPULATED BY MOM PLANTS. At exactly midnight two years from now, the MoM plants will strike, attacking and eating their owners, and the human species will be wiped off the face of the earth.

Or maybe that's just a bad dream I had once...?

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Not any more unlikely than the body snatchers.

• fool4flowers
    17 years ago

We are getting flash floods here with stranded motorists on a couple of roads. Our shop flooded for the first time ever in 10 years and we had to leave early. Nasty stuff but at least the tornado activity has past us for now.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hehehehe, I'm not going to any swaps with you LL
    That was a dream...remember, lol

I had to shut the puter down because of the lightening, well really because I was scared and needed to hide, lol

Well, I hope everyone stays safe. Our radio hasn't gone off for awhile, yea

Rick, I think you are right

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Not even a drop here. I just finished watering, for the 2nd week in a row.
    Jim

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I will I will!!! I will post last years pics of my bog because there are some cannas sitting in it but nothing else and it looks hideous!My chickens are very photogenic. I will post pictures of them eating my seedlings if I'm quick enough! My pond IS now a bog. My water garden just looks like a pot with a pump in it and a couple floating sticks right now(barely leafing out water lilys) should be really pretty by May tho!
    Laurel's scaring me!!! PJ

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think she scared herself, lol

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Oh bugger! I'm in a stupid tornado watch or whatever. It's raining hard. My chickens are NOT happy! SOMEONE better stop doing the nekkid turtle dance darn it!!!PJ

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's not me, we were in a tornado warning mode today but it expired.
    Just keep an eye on the weather, do y'all have a plan?

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Yeah, it's a great one too. Jump in the bathtub with a 145 lb woman,190lb,man 110lb kid and 70lb kid and 3 dogs averaging around 50lbs each. Then throwing my youngest's light weight mattress over the whole bunch. Think it will work???LOL!PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Sounds good to me, PJ... but my money is on the dogs carving out the most room for themselves..

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Hmmm, that's when these 10 pound and under dogs come in quite handy. When I emptied the rain gauge yesterday morning, it had 2 1/2 inches in it. I just checked it now and another 2 1/2 inches in it. The weather just said that Granbury got 5 inches. Glad we didn't here. 5 inches in TWO days was plenty. Both of our ponds were overflowing across the road in front of our house.

After being cooped up (voluntarily) all day yesterday, Max (the kitty) thought it would be a good idea to wrestle with Pepe (the dog) on the bed at 3:30 this morning. So I got up, made sure everyone went outside to do thier business and now THEY are fast asleep again.

Looks like sunny skies by mid-day. The horses will all be stretched out on their sides by then, soaking up the warmth and rolling like piggies in the mud. But mostly in the coming days, they will be enjoying all of the juicy grass that will come from some good sunshine after all this rain. Last night they were saying that we have another chance of rain on Thursday. Enjoy sunny skies while they last :).

Kristi

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Boy, did the vegetation love all that lightening - it is sooo green this morning. I just did a walk through, and everything seems to be happy. Kristi, love this rain and just think of all the mowing we will be doing !!!!!

• remuda1
    17 years ago

"and just think of all the mowing we will be doing !!!!!"

I would post pics, but it would be too embarrassing,LOL!! I have already mowed twice but haven't lowered my mower blades from last year so it only takes a couple of days for it to be back up to shin high.

Carrie, you better wait a while. You got stuck last time, this time we may need to send rescue crews out for you!!

Kristi

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

We're getting it now! I really like what it does for the garden, not so much what it does TO the garden.
    Jim

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Kristi, those ruts are standing in water even as I type - looks as if I WILL be hauling dirt in there - oh my aching back!!!!!
    But we will have more room in the bathtub than PJ, because our dogs can actually sit on our laps.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Bragger! LOL! PJ

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hehehe, we have had drills to see if we can all fit in the closet in the middle of the house. Everything was going okay until Molly (cat) decided to jump on Tweed's (collie)back. Now we can't get them back in there, lol
    The other cat (Mango Bob) and collie (Maisy Mae)were fine

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I haven't checked how much rain we got but know it's more than plants needed all at once but I won't complain cause when in a few months we will beg for rain.
    My plants were taking off... now their like drowning rats looking a little limp and sad asking me to please take some of this water off me wet little feet.
    Plants on slopes are happy and with the sun shine today their at there happiest. I managed to get fert or compost/manure out on almost everything so now the yard smells like rotting doo, nothing like the smell of a beautiful garden in the near future?
    The dog's area is now a swamp and it will take weeks to dry out then when we go through no rain for months there will be cracks 3 inches in width and the depth goes to china.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Guess we just to have to adjust to whatever situation we find ourselves in, Barb. Too much of a good thing is just that, whether it be wet or dry - heat or cold.

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

My gang barely fits in the living room all together let alone the bathtub! DS needs to start training that iguana to hang on to something, no one with green feet is to be in the bathtub with me, no way no how.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I agree with you TorB. They aint very bright(lizards),those lizards are prone to bittin'(Iguanas) and they have gram negative bacteria in their razor sharp mouths....ask me how I know!!!!(15 stiches and a scar later) PJ

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OH my gosh, now she's gonna toss the lizard out, lol
    PJ, they all aren't that way DS has had one for almost 12 years and it has never bitten anyone.
    Susan is totally terrified of it, lol

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Figures...I get the crazy,nutty Iguana! LOL!PJ

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Here's some weather for ya! I'll look back at this when it's 110 in the shade with 95% humidity....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1309451}}

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I would have already curled up and died before it got that deep. I don't do cold and snow.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I hear that! LOL!PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Ditto on the "I don't do cold and snow" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!