Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

This is off subject., but some day you may need...

natvtxn
17 years ago

Some of you may not be aware that Texas now has nursing homes for Veterans.

I was looking this up for my uncle.

This is where I had my DH until his death. It never smelled "nursing home". The food was really good for a facility. They are so good to the patients. Many times I saw them hug people, or joke with them.

There are now 6 around the state. For my DH the VA paid a little less than half the cost. He had no war disabilities so we paid more.

Here is a link that might be useful: TX Landboard vet homes

Comments (10)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I wish my dad(WWII) would live in an assisted living facility but to quote him,"They are full of old people!" He's 80 BTW. PJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Nothing is off subject on this forum.

Maybe the injured vets need to go to that nursing home instead of the VA hospitals.

I'm glad your DH and you had such a good experience. I can't think of too many tougher decisions than putting a loved one in a nursing home, no matter how appropriate it is. Even though you know it's what's best, it's not easy.

Sally

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

with the way my knees are feeling this week, I might go sign myself up this afternoon.

In all seruousness, thanks for the info. It might become helpful for my family one day

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

The more I think about it, the better I think an idea like that is. The residents would have at least something in common, besides being somewhere they don't really want to be, and could talk about old times, or whatever else suited their fancy. But they'd be able to relate to each other in ways non-veterans wouldn't be able to relate to them. I said that awkwardly, but I think you might know what I mean.

Sally

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

It's good to know these things. Thanks for posting it.

I think it would be good if they started up a nursing home for retired GWers. lol

We could all remember the good old days when Jolana and I would pick on the baby brat.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

War stories! My dad would love it. Especially airplane stories.*Sigh*
    Carol, I think they should set up an old folk's home in the middle of some spectacular botanical gardens. They're always saying how green(color of plants) and flowers make people calm and happy! You wont be able to pick on me niether I'll be hard of hearing! HA!
    So, Zitro, you've been extra pious lately eh? (snicker!) PJ

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

We tried to get my grandfather into a VA hospital. They wouldn't take him - he's too mean. Seriously.
    No disease or illness, just pure-D meaness. (And you wonder where I get it!)

Thanks for posting this Kathy.
    It's good to know and more importantly, to discuss with family members BEFORE decisions have to be made.

Keep it up, PJ. Sooner or later, our dear Joe is gonna get ya!

(BTW, Joe - the Musa Cannas have multiplied like crazy! Thanks!)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

You're a sweet lady with a soft touch and you know it Jac!
    I sure hope looking helpless and teary eyed works better with Joe than my lame attempts to get outta a speeding ticket! LOL! PJ

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Kathy,
    As you know we recently had to admit my DFIL on an emergency basis. I know that this vacility accept the VA benefits as partial payment. But my DMIL & DFIL have to have less than $80,000. in ANY assets to qualify, meaning their pensions, any savings checking any IRA's or CD's. They do not count their home or their vehicles.
    I was also informed from the VA that they DO NOT go back and check your back records (as medicaid would), they accept the application and check on the day of the application. This may help, I know it did for us.
    Dena

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought we had too much income to qualify for help. So I just kept paying. I was going to put my house on the market to be able to keep him there. They sent me to medicaid. By the time they discounted my 1/2 of our assets and what I needed to live on, he qualified. Medicaid paid the half I had been paying. I paid around $130,000 over the years before I found out medicaid would have paid all along.
    I forget what she called it but there is something where they won't leave the spouse destitute.