Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Ouch! Ooch! Ow! Dad-gummit!

sally2_gw
17 years ago

What a beautiful weekend wasted. I woke up fine, yesterday, but while sitting at the computer visiting with you guys and other forums, I noticed my back start to twinge. When I got up from the computer, I realised I could barely move. Darn. I didn't do a thing to put my back out, but out it is. So, I sat and cross-stitched, watched daytime t.v. and read off and on all day, while looking at the beautiful sunshine outside. The only thing I managed to do outside yesterday was pick up the sheets I had laid over the veggies and strawberries, and that just about killed me, and took way longer than it should have. I had to do deep knee-bends with my back straight as a ram-rod in order to pick them up. I must have looked quite silly. I couldn't even think about sneezing. I did that once, and it just about killed me. I'm better today, but I don't think I can do any gardening. I'm still pretty tender when I move wrong or breath deep. The only good thing about this is that I have to keep my back straight. Any other position hurts.

You all just go on outside and enjoy this beautiful weather without me. :-(

Sally

Comments (31)

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Sally, how terrible - I've had this happen before, and it isn't much fun. You take care, so you can be out soon.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

You certainly have my sympathy. It has been 10 1/2 months since my back surgery and I still had to sit on the ground to take sheets loose. It "is" so maddening to try to do something that I have done all my lfe and have it take way too long.
    You be careful.

• denisew
    17 years ago

I know it hurts, but the best thing you can do is rest your back for a few days. Take some ibuprophen to reduce swelling.

When I read the title of this post, I thought maybe you had been out pruning roses! That would certainly bring on the ouch! ouch! . . . Anyway, I hope your back gets better soon.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, it is getting better. I'm having to take it easier than I want to, but I did get out and hold a hose so I could water. The weeds just sat there, soaking it in, and laughing at me, though, knowing they'd probably have another week to grow and spread. Oh, well, it could definately be worse. This kind of thing doesn't happen very often to me. ... knock on wood.

Sally

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Sally, bless your heart.
    You're going to have to really be a good girl and help it get better.
    Hard as it will be...you are going to have to turn a blind eye to those weeds.
    Take it easy and appreciate getting to rest and recoup, eventhough it is not the rest you would have picked, LOL

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Poor Sally, I've had this happen and it seems like only time will help.

Wish I lived closer so I could come help.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

(((Sally))) I loathe being "helpless" while injured. It makes me crazy!!! *Sigh* only time heals this sort of thing even tho a person might have a bunch of stuff to do meanwhile!!! I really do hope you feel better soon.I hope you take it easy on yourself too.PJ

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

You poor thing! Try to behave or it will only take longer to feel better.
    Aleve and a hot Epsom salt bath work wonders!

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm a lot better today. As yesterday went on, I felt better and better. I did skip my work out this morning, which allowed me to sleep in a bit. That could very easily get habit forming.

Thanks for all your well wishes, and thanks for letting me vent and have my little pitty party. You guys are the best!

Sally

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I am so glad you are feeling better today.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Me too! Remember (after you're healed up) exercise is good for you!!! LOL!PJ

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Good to hear you're better.

• denisew
    17 years ago

Glad you are feeling better and that you do have a workout routine. Don't slack off on that since it will help strengthen the abs that help support that back.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Sally, great news. Keep being a good girl

Here is a link that might be useful: back strengthening exercises

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

DH and I were able to go out and do our walk this morning, and so far, no ill effects. Thanks for the link, Jolana. Most of those exercises look like ones I do as part of my routine, at least at some time or another. I generally follow the shows on Lifetime from 6 to 7 each morning. At first I was embarrassed and felt kind of silly exercising to a show, but I got over it when I started to see results.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Wanna feel silly? Karen Voight and Baron Babtiste. I don't like the gym so I use videos for my non-Martial Arts stuff.PJ

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

When DH had knee surgery someone suggested cold/heat treatments, ice pack on than heating pad right after. Eased the throbbing for him more than just one or the other. Back pain is really rough, hard to find way to get away from it, can't raise your back like you would a leg. Glad your better.

OMG! Could never workout in a gym near all those healthy people that don't groan or cuss on every exhale.

Stick to videos in the livingroom where i can call that Denise girl mean names in private. "Come on girls! Just 4000 more to go you can do it!" She is really just a sadist in a headband.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That Denise girl is one of the shows I exersize to. Boy, she's so icky sweet she can give you cavities, but she's also pretty informative.

They've started a new show at 6:30 called Pod Fitness. It's very different from Denise Austin, but I like it fairly well. It's a good mix with Denise Austin. Most of what's on Pod Fitness is more challenging, which I like. Of course, that might have been what got me in trouble, too.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Me too Sally. Mostly I get strains flailing around kick boxing tho. Heck the other person doesn't even have to get in a good shot. Just wait for me to over extend myself.
    Gyms that aren't specific(gymnastics,M.Arts,Ballet...) make me crazy.
    What's with dressing up to go to the gym??? MAKE UP???
    A thong up your b*tt and color coordinated shoes? I just can't get that kind of energy going. I usually end up wearing a tank top with a sports bra(doesn't match) and my baggy pants for Martial Arts(flexible) and some converse hi-tops. No way on the hair and make up. There is no looking good when I work out. I sweat like crazy and look horrible. I thought that was the point! LOl!PJ

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

I am appalled and horrified that NO ONE has mentioned a massage in this whole deal. Sally, git thee to a massage therapist as fast as you can! Have you ever had a whole body massage? They are the best. Also, chiropractors are great. It's hard to choose between the two, but unless your neck is out, the massage is usually the best.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

PPB, I am loathe to admit this, but I have never had a whole body massage, or even a partial body massage from a real massage therapist. (a backrub from DH does not count)

I am sure I am backwards on this, but I just don't want anybody (who is not related to me by marriage) rubbing on me, just for the sake of rubbing. LOL

The whole idea of a total stranger saying "here, get up here on this table and let me rub you down" just gives me the willies. I would have to be sedated, drunk or whatever.

The mulch guy might be an exception. (But not THOSE strange mulch guys that what'shisname brought with him.)

Janie

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I hear that! Janie and me have a armor plated "personal bubble". I've had people getting their licence offer free message a couple of times.(For credit experience?) I noticed that the men were ONLY asking the women BTW. I guess if you go pro you have to take the folks willing to pay for it. I don't trust chiropractors either. I never said I wasn't paranoid. PJ

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I'm with you Janie. The thought gives me the creeps.

BTW, it was a chiropractor that ruptured my first disk.
    The only person I would "let" go to one is my ex.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, I was brought up to totally mistrust chiropractors. As an adult, out of my Mom's predjudicial influences, I've actually thought about visiting a chiropractor. But...everyone I know that goes to them, has to keep going and keep going. It's like they're addicted, or the chiropractors don't fix your back, but rather do something to it so you have to keep going back to them. (No pun intended. ... Well, maybe it should have been.) So, I think about that, and decided nope, not for me.

Anyway, DH is my massage therapist. :-)

Sally

• Bev__
    17 years ago

There is a massage therapist here in town that I go to (I used to go monthly, but haven't been to see her in the year I've been recouperating from surgery)& this reminds me I need to call her & make an appt. now that my foot & leg are healed up enough that I think I can stand for her to work on it.
    A good massage is wonderful.
    After the previous 2 foot surgeries I've had, I developed calcuium build ups and she broke it down and relieved most my pain. I have 3 fractures in my back & constant back pain due to osteporosis. She can get my spine all lined up and relaxed and almost pain free for a while. Wish I could afford to go to her weekly.
    Try a professional massage, you'll be amazed how good you'll feel, I breathe better & even my brain works better after a massage. It's amazing.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, but how do you get up off the table or chair after your massage? I've always wondered that. I'll see people getting a massage in a public place (something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing) and I wonder how they bring themselves to move after getting such a wonderful massage. I think I'd need a designated driver. lol

Sally

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I slither off the table, then do a wiggle/stretch, (it feels sooooo good) get dressed, go home and take a nap.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention, before my massage I get my eyebrows waxed & a pedicure and sometimes a manicure, (depending on how bad my cuticles are) at the same spa. Makes me feel like new!

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, you decadent wench, you! lol.

Sally

• Bev__
    17 years ago

In my old age I need all the help I can get!

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

I've had allll kinds of massages, chair ones, naked whole body ones, two hour ones. They are all good.

Yes, it's lovely to be able to go back to a chiropractor or massage therapist on a regular basis - weekly or monthly. Perhaps it is necessary for a while if you are really injured. But even one treatment can help alot.

I do not buy the argument, "I won't go to a chiropractor because you have to keep going back." I hear that from my dad who is in constant back pain. If your back hurts, go to a chiropractor and see if it quits hurting.

I don't get the argument/problem.