Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

Newborn baby kidnapped from Lubbock Hosp.

jolanaweb
17 years ago

Too scary, those poor parents.

They have the person on tape, they posed as a hospital worker

Comments (20)

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

No punishment too harsh for that!
    Jim

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I heard about that this morning. It is awful. Hope they find the baby fast and she's ok.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

My Husband and I were just talking about that.

Last year we gave the police a license plate number because they were acting like they wanted to kidnap my 5 yr old grandaughter at a Ross store we were in.
    They said they couldn't do anything till she was actually kidnapped but the plates were registered to someone living in Lubbock.

Weird huh?

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, that is weird and scary.
    We have been out to a funeral, have they caught her yet?
    I told DH this morning, if it's pretty up there everyone might be out running around and not see the report and they could get far away.

Jim, I totally agree, no punishment is too harsh for that
    jolana

• bev1951
    17 years ago

So far nothing new, we were out all day & I was looking at all the red Dodge trucks. I can't understand how this could have happened, I used to work at that hospital in my other life ( not in the OB/Nursery part but on the same floor) What happened to the procedures to prevent this ? I know there is a nursing shortage but there is no excuse for this. I haven't seen any news on TV just heard the radio, did they take the baby from the Mom's room or the nursery ? The baby is jaundiced & if the bilirubin is still on it's way up there is a chance of brain damage. Letting the baby lay in the bright sunlight will help but not enough. This must be a very sick person to do this. Maybe we can all say a prayer at the same time, I just want to do something to help that baby & family.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The baby was taken from the room and one report said she had even talked to a nurse.
    They said she could even die.
    One reporter said "she had on scrubs, so must be a nurse or work in the medical field" I've seen scrubs at the
    $ store

• carrie751
    17 years ago

My heart goes out to that mother and her family - what pain they must be going through. You are right, Jolana - scrubs can be bought at many places for goodness sake. The only thing that proves is that she was wearing them. I will say many prayers that this little one is found in time.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

How awful! I hope they find that baby and it turns out OK. The mother must be just freaking out. I'll pray for a happy outcome.PJ

• bev1951
    17 years ago

The baby has been found in Clovis, N.M. Safe from what's been reported & the people or person that took her are being held.What a big relief. Besides waking up to that wonderful news it's raining !!! Bev

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank God. for finding the baby and Bev is getting rain

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Has anybody else been creeped out by the video of the kidnapper leaving the hospital?

She had that baby in a satchel or purse.

I may be mistaken, but it seems like when a woman takes a baby because she's lost one or can't have one, she does it more or less on impulse, & she carries it in her arms, because she loves it in her own way.

The satchel & the hooded coat sure look, to me, like planning.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Wow, I'm way behind on this news. I'm so glad the baby was found and is okay. My first thought was that the child would probably be taken to Mexico for the black market adoption business, but I have no idea if that's the case or not. It could be that I've read too many mystery books, too.

My oldest niece was born in Lubbock, but I don't know which hospital. Of course, that was 20 somethng years ago.

Sally

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Sally, I bet you're right:

This baby was taken out of state (found in, seems like, New Mexico or Arizona.)

Having jaundice (not a perfect child) may have been a very lucky thing for that little one!

• bev1951
    17 years ago

nothing else new but when I hear anything I'll post it. I'd like to know the why's too. It was totally creepy. I thought she might have had a snugli on under the coat with the baby in there but maybe that's just how she's built

• bev1951
    17 years ago

We've been gone for several days & I'm still trying to catch up on the news about this case. The best news is that the baby is fine & home with Mom & Dad. The sad news that I'm reading about this young woman is that she has wanted to become a mother for such a long time that she actually had all the signs of being pregnant but it was psychologically induced. She has been pregnant twice & miscarried each time. I'll keep reading & tell all I learn. Bev

• bev1951
    17 years ago

I finally finished reading all the stories about this kidnapping, don't know how involved your news got but - - -here's the rest. She went to UMC 1st & wandered around the area but their babies have something inserted into the umbilical cords that stop the elevators or sound an alarm if someone tries to take the baby.At Lakeside she wanders around for awhile I guess deciding which baby she wants, then she finds an empty room & TAKES A NAP !!!!Leaves & goes to Walmart buys scrubs & baby stuff goes back to the hospital, changes & is walking in the hall when a nurse asks her if she's a member of this person's family. She says no just a close friend. So the nurse gives her the baby to take to the Mom - - - the rest you know. I'm so upset that any nurse would do that, I sooooo badly want to go back to work. What do you think the chances are of Lakeside being able to come back from this ?

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I am sort of laughing over the umbilical cord thingie. How clever, but it reminds me of shop lifting security!
    That woman needs help. She should've already been getting it. Hysterical pregnancy is a red flag for mental health(duh right?)I wouldn't be surprised if she'd been an inpatient at a facility. The whole thing ended well(thankfully) but has so much tragedy. The hysterical parents that will now be affected for the rest of their lives.Their joyous occasion has been lost forever. The mentally unstable woman who thinks a baby will make her already messed up life better. How sad. PJ

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

that's awful.
    (& did I miss the target or what?)

& it can happen to any woman.
    Those hormones, that drive, is so powerful that it can take over a woman's life & mess up her judgment & her perceptions.

My friend Amy was talking about this the other day.

Amy is very proper, level-headed, solid as a rock, keeps a squeaky-clean house, works, takes care of the family, teaches Sunday school...

On the surface, it sounds like she couldn't be more different from this woman.

but.

Amy's children are all adopted.

She told me that the drive to have a family, to have a baby, was so strong that it nearly became an obsession, *& that she could empathize/sympathize with this woman.*

The good thing is that her husband & her large family (mother, father, brothers, sisters, siblings-in-law) supported & helped her.

& she found motherhood to be very fulfilling, & her husband, a lovely man, is just as happy with family life as she is.

• bev1951
    17 years ago

It's really sad that her problems weren't picked up on before this happened. Her lawyer asked for her to be placed in a mental hospital for evaluation but it was denied. There hasn't been much more news about baby & parents, I'm sure they just want to forget all the horror. I can't begin to imagine how horrible it must have been for the parents & grandparents. The thought makes my heart hurt. Bev

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Horrible, horrible.
    I can't imagine either, it's worrisome enough when you know where they are.