Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwalters7

Slick or Rougher

Dena Walters
17 years ago

Ok, I did post this under my other post, but it was so far down I'll ask again.

For those who have tile or have had tile. Would you go with the more smooth tile? or the rougher texture tile such as slate???

Our tile guy suggest the rougher, since its less slippery.

Here is a picture of our tile (no thats not me, thats the tile guy..and does NOT look like the lawn guy ..lol!) I love the color variations (he says this is one piece in a series of about 5 different color variations I would get using this tile, looks like slate)

What do you think about the texture? The indents catching dirt etc???

Thanks everyone!!

Dena

{{gwi:1309590}}

Comments (29)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Dena, that's my Masterbath tile, lol
    Dirt doesn't collect in it, although I have a friend that could get it to, lol

This is from the other post

I've had both and I would not go with slick
    I was on my butt a lot, just a little dampness on barefeet or flip flops, lol
    I don't recover as quickly and I am seriously trying to do things that will be more practical when we are older, lol

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

so you like your tile jolana? and is it the slate feel to it?
    I love the tile I'm just unsure if it is that rough texture like slate is it hard to mop and keep clean.
    Take a picture jolana I'd love to see it in a room (oh please?!)
    Im sure my daughter could collect alot of dirt..where she got her non-cleaning skills from is beyond me!...(another storey all togather..LOL)
    Dena

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

Very pretty! Our neighbor at last house had similar color installed in front room. She did always wish that she had requested less spacing between tiles though.
    We had our old kitchen done white rough tile,quick and easy clean up with just hot water and mop. As long as everything is sealed properly you should have no trouble keeping up with it.
    Did you know there were so many choices for tile? I was surprised at the amount there is to pick from, than on to choosing grout color. lol

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Dena, I couldn't get into Photobucket. Just sent you a pic in email to work, if you are at home let me know
    jolana

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jolana,
    Looks like the exact texture Im looking at..and you love it? BTW it looks very nice, Im getting more excited, the work again overwhelms me at times...But I'll get alot cleaned out!!

Dena

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Depends on the look of the home. Rougher is more casual and informal, and smoother is more formal.

Neither is safe to walk on, when wet, especially in some kinds of shoes.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rick, I would have to say the 'less' formal is all about me. Its a big house but not formal at all...
    Now ya'll are making me feel so much better about my choice...
    Thank you all!!
    Keep the stories and advice comin'
    Dena

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

With slate, you can have no grout line - and I would go rougher.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Informal.....rougher would do fine. It is safer, but not necessarily when wet.

The color looks good in the photo, as long as you feel it works with your other decor. (Paint is the cheapest thing to do over, make sure it works with your fabrics, etc.)

Make sure you seal your grout right away, to prevent dirt from soiling the grout. (Otherwise use an oxygen based cleaning product.)

Recognize that any foundation issues will show up immediately with tile. (As in cracking, coming loose.)

That's about all I think of.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't do slate because of the color choices, and the texture on your feet..I know call me crazy!!
    Rick, thanks so much. Our tile guy says he will be using a poly-flex morter? or mixed with the morter?
    I really did listen to what he told DH but some of it went right over my head.
    And a top grade sealer was a must on my list, I do not want ungly dirty looking grout anytime soon....

Dena

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Poly-flex may be the "epoxy" type, which may not require sealing. That is a grout normally used in high soiling areas, that is cleanable, as it isn't porous, after curing.

Usually comes in darker colors, also, which would look best with the tile, in my opinion.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Rick, and Everyone!!!
    Im so excited ......
    NO MORE CARPET...by this weekend!!! Yea!!

Dena

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Go for the Rough tile hands down. DH puchased his home before we even met and on doing some up date's he had slick tile put in the master bath it's a bad thing, I did the spilts a few times before I got use to the floor and got wise to put rug's with rubber backing all over.
    I like the color you picked it gives you a lot to work with.
    Want to trade me LOL.
    BTW our tile is pinkish color to boot another bad move.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ROFL!!! Barb....
    I understand!!! Even with linoleum(sp?) I have done the splits more times than I care to admit...And in more rooms than I care to admit!!.....LOLOL!!!!
    I am soooo Pleased w/the texture, but I am soooo disappointed in the color...nothing like the email I recieved.....
    I reallly hope this doesn't mean YET ANOTHER week delay...man this is hard...sheshhh..
    Here is the "real" color of the tile, and I really dont' like it because of the more grey and light tan color instead of the "rich" browns and charcoal's, and terra cotta colors like the one in the picture...sighhh...soooo we keep going...
    Man someone SHOULD have told me this would be so fricken hard!!!!..LOL
    Here's the "real" color..and I really dont' like it...
    sigh...
    Needless to say I have offwhite leather furniture..and white cabinets in the living room..and sand colored walls (which I expect to change AGAIN...to a leather brown once the floors are in...IF EVER!!!)
    oK..HERE is the real color.....
    Dena.

{{gwi:1309591}}

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Dena, that looks like the color mine were in the pic I sent you.
    I like the richer better.
    If mine were that color, I wouldn't like it as well either.
    Where are you getting it?

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

TXgardnlady likes it rough. hehe

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jolana,
    In the ENTIRE bottom half of my house...thru my living room, entry, dining room, kitchen, sun room, wash room, master bath, master bedroom, hallway, and half bath.....the ENTIRE downstairs......
    I HAVE to love it right???.LOL..I have to live with it.....
    I DONT like the "grey" undertones.....Our tile guy is looking for RICHER colors......dang ....ANOTHER WEEK?????ACK!!!!..HOW LONG CAN A PERSON STAND DISRUPTION...Besides their KIDS...LOL
    Dena

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I like the texture of your tile, it's too grey for me and sounds like it's too gray for you too.
    My tile is more to the almond/tan colors and is ruff without any shine and I have the kind of grout that dosn't need sealing in a tan color a bit darker than my tile. It looks about the same, dirty or clean. I love it.

When I was building this house I ran into a similar color problem, but was stuck with it. When I picked out our brick & roof the samples matched beautifully. When he brick came it was redder and when the shingles were delivered they were more orangish. Everyone says they look fine, but I know they aren't. I'm hoping with age the roof tones down some.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OOops...ROFL...jolana were you talking about where am I buying the tile? Not where Im putting it in my house..sheshhhh...I musta been really tired last nite waiting for the tile guy to call me back..whew..
    Our tile guy is getting it for me at a major discount...great tile, but he does it for a living and knows all the discount places....
    Dena

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

No, I meant where is it going in your house, with that much floor, you better like it. LOL
    It's good you're holding ot for what you want.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Be sure to see the actual tile to be installed, for color, before anything is installed. In my house, the color was soooooo different from the sample I selected from, they had to tear it all out and put in another tile. Not as good as what I originally selected, but way better than what they actually installed the first time.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

OMG, Rick what an ordeal that must have been. Tearing out tile is not an easy thing to do.
    I second on holding on to what you want because it's going to be there a long time.
    We have a light white/cream rough tile in our kitchen, I like it.
    I have been wanting to do our main bathroom.
    I love the slate tile the way they do up some bathrooms very pretty.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Rick, were you at work or something when they laid it?
    OMG, I can't imagine.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Well, it was a new house, and we couldn't be there all the time, you know. They didn't keep us up to date on what was being done when, either. We just had to go out and check as frequently as we could, and actually, by the time they did the tile, the house was locked when they weren't working on it.

Building is a stressful undertaking, even with a tract builder, because they don't really care about the customer at all.

Example: My "coordinator" stands in the house, telling me the plumbing has been turned on and checked.....while right behind him an open pipe joint was clearly visible in the plumbing. Talk about telling a tall tale.

I was out there as much as possible, but yeah.....unfortunately, work got in the way.

That wasn't the only thing they had to "fix", before I got through with them either!

Building a house will test your resilience (and sanity) more than anything else I can think of.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

"Building a house will test your resilience (and sanity) more than anything else I can think of."

Boy, have you got that right, Rick! I don't think we would ever put ourselves through that again.
    Jim

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm having such a hard time picking out the tile alone, I can not imagine having to build an entire house...I'd be in a padded room with a little white jacket...LOL
    Dena

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Two years ago I built (I was my own contractor) the house we're living in now. The actual construction took about 5 months, but the planing & getting bids took about 5-6 months. I designed my own plans, then took them to an architec finish.
    My husband was gone much of that time. When he was home he didn't like to come over here because he felt stupid because he had no idea what to say when someone would ask him about something on the house.
    Things mostly went well. When the subs realized I was serious and willing to work along with them, I got their respect & co-operation. In fact when they were done many of the subs told me this was the most oraganized & cleanest
    job they had ever been on. I half killed myself cleaning inside & out everyday, moving lumber & piles of sand & whatever grunt work needed to be done. I also did all the landscaping myself, most of it before we even moved in!
    One of the bad things on being my own contractor is I know where all the little mistakes and compromises are.
    I don't know if I ever want to do it again, unless I can afford to hire someone to do the physical grunt stuff.
    I learned a lot.
    I have been asked by 2 different friends to contract their homes. I declined the 1st one,and I think I may decline the 2nd one too. I'm not licensed or insured to be a contractor. I'm not a professional, I just knew I could do it, so I did it!

• pspman222
    14 years ago

I would get the best looking tile you can find. If its too slick or slippery when wet you could always treat it with a slick tile solution such as www.slipdoctors.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Fix Slippery Tiles

• beachplant
    14 years ago

We were going to put tile in the downstairs after the fire. But I talked to friends that had it prior to Ike and the problems they had after. We put laminate in the living/hall/laundry, stick down tiles in the bath and for right now are just going to paint the kitchen. At least until the old dog moves to the big doghouse in the sky. For some reason she likes to pee in there.
    But I do love tile floors, except in winter, or if you drop something...
    Tally HO!