Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyrose_gw

OT--suggestions for day trip near Houston?

lindseyrose
17 years ago

Hey everyone. I like how this group is spread out among big cities and small towns in Texas. I thought this might be the place to mine for some good ideas on day trips on the cheap. We have spring break next week--March 11-16--and I want to get AWAY, even if just for the day! We can't really afford an overnight for the whole family, so I would ideally like to do a little day trip within 1.5 hours of us. Problem is I'm having trouble coming up with a little "gem" of a place to go and stuff for the kids to do. My Google skills are off today, I guess. ;) I'd like something along the lines of visiting a painted church and then spending time at a cool playground or park, eating a sack lunch or grabbing a meal at a cute cafe. Unfortunately none of the painted churches (that I can find anyway) are any less than 80 miles away and I'm not sure there is anything else fun in the vicinity that would appease the kids. Shiner Brewery+painted church+park/playground would again be awesome, but too far away to make it a relaxing day trip! Brenham feels a little "been there, done that" for us, although we may head that way if nothing else crops up. (Are the bluebonnets blooming yet?) We've done the miniature horses at the St. Clare monestary outside Brenham but I guess we could go again.

Okay, for the location stuff: we are NW of Houston but still in the Houston area. We could go about 70 miles in any direction, but I'd PREFER rural to urban. I'm just in that mood.

So, tell me about your small town and its charms, or your favorite day trip getaway! Anyone?

Other interests:

berry/fruit picking

farmer's markets

gardening/pretty plant places

photography opportunities

something fun for the kids that doesn't require pricey tickets

Comments (7)

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

The Blue Bell Ice cream factory, I forget the town name. In Houston there is the NASA Johnson Space Center, Aquarium, Zoo, and the National Memorial Cemetary. Everyone of those place get 2 Thumbs up from me.

• lindseyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Joe! Thank you for that list. NASA is one I haven't been to since childhood. We should go out that way sometime. Blue Bell is in Brenham and we toured it a couple years ago. Problem (for me) with that tour is it never changes. Once you've done it, you've done it. Of course there is ice cream at the end, but really, you pay for it since they charge admission (and I can--and do--buy Blue Bell any day of the week at home). Anyway, I do like it but I think we want to go someplace we haven't been before, or at least someplace that might have something new to offer us.

I'm thinking maybe we will head up to Brenham, but instead go see the mini horses again and also Antique Rose Emporium. Last time we were there the hubby and kids stayed in the car and I felt rushed the whole time I browsed. I think they might find it somewhat interesting. We also found a little swingset and a cemetary over by the Old Baylor ruins (right up the road in Independence) so maybe we'll just repeat that and eat our lunches there.

Anyone know of anything else interesting near Independence?

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Lindseyrose there is a monastery in Brenham that raises miniature horses that my grandson loves to go to and there should be some foals by now

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Brenham/town_brenham.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: monastery

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Here's a link for some painted churcheshref>.
    There's one near Plantersville at 1774 and 105. (St. Mary's?)
    You might want to pop in and pick some fruit at the Kings Orchardhref> while in Plantersville.

I haven't seen any wildflowers, yet. Give it a month!

Washington-on-the-Brazos is always wonderful! The Star of Texas Museum is great, there is a nice play ground with picnic areas, good walking paths, a hands on/interactive center for kids, and Barrington Farms.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Brazos bend state park in the spring for the gators and birds.

Anahuac for birdwatching and crabbing.

Creekside farmers market in Needville on Thursdays, right next to the Vintage Rosary. The rosary has fabulous gardens, ponds, picnic area.

The Anhauser-Busch brewery in Houston, beer! and rootbeer for the kids at the end of the tour.

The Bolivar-Galveston ferry, great for dolphin spotting, lots of birds and you can go to Stingarees on the peninsula for crabs or oysters!
    Tally HO!

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Here's some information.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Break Guide

• lindseyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Jim and TallyHo! Those are all raelly good suggestions! I'm bookmarking...