Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasorbust_gw

Poison ivy

Texasorbust
17 years ago

How do I take this out if its tangled in with the redtip ? Last year it was in the clear spot of this bed and I pulled it than sprayed round up, thought I had gotten it all. If I just tug is it going to spread it around more? Can i paint brush it with round up and not kill off the redtip?

Something slithered under there yesterday, btw. Was either a really big worm or really little snake. DH thinks it's funny to do a steve irwin whisper narration when im out there now......."he doesn't know we're watching him sneak up on this unsuspecting gardener". A casual threat to tuck some of these leaves of 3 in his sock drawer....he didn't find so amusing. lol

Comments (9)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Susan, I know you have poison ivy because I've seen it but that looks like that vine my GF called pepper vine. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing but it is hard to get rid of here, I've dug and dug. I just trto keep them pulled out of the beds
    What do you think ?

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper vine

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Found an old thread on here with good info for killing it off around trees, should have searched more before asking. I also have that vine, lol.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

LOL, we have used brush B gone on the PI in the creek area
    I just noticed that I didn't answer you, lol sorry bout that

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

That darn Pepper Vine looks a lot like PI to me. I know the leaves have to be even and all but I would sure be nervous around it!PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Flame thrower. Whatever else is out there will just have to go to. Now that it is growing again I REFUSE to walk down 22nd street, last year I spent 6 weeks taking steroids and a couple of years back spent 3 months on steroids, missing tons of work both times and miserable. Poison IVY, caught both times in the vicinity of 22nd street. It's growing at the old orphanage, all over the fence and was at my old house just around the corner from same.
    I'm itching reading this post!
    TallyHO!
    Oh, buy some of that ivydry stuff before you go near it, they changed the name but Wally world and all the drug stores carry it, look by the calamine lotion.

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

If you poison it weekly it will die. I promise.

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

Use Brush killer, but don't paint it on full strength, it must be diluted to work.

You can cut the top and bottom out of a big coffee can and place it over the offensive plant. Spray in there and it won't get on your good plants.

Also works with a bottomless trashcan : )

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

"Flame Thrower"?

Never burn poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac. Burning will spread the irritants through the smoke and air, and is much more harmful to you, than mere skin contact. It will get into your lungs, your eyes, your sinuses, and more. It can even be potentially fatal if contacted in that manner.

An appropiate herbicide is the safest way to deal with them, and even then, removal of dead material requires careful handling, with protective gear.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

A good way to tell if it is poison ivy or pepper vine: Pick 1 leaf, and pull it tight. Hold it between your lips and blow making it whistle. If it is poison ivy, your lips will blister and turn wrong side out. If it is pepper vine they won't.
    I had a cousin do this when we were kids. He was a terrible sight!
    Jim