Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_w

important facts about your neighborhood

janet_w
17 years ago

Everyone is familiar with Garden watchdog a site we use often to help aid us in plant buying.

Here is a different kind of site called Family watchdog http://www.familywatchdog.us/

This is a free site that tracks sex offenders in your area. I put in my address and found there are 12 sex offenders that are in my area with the closest one being 2.69 miles from my home. Family watchdog shows a pic of the sex offender their address and other details about this person like alias names, convictions, and criminal history. You can also sign up for free email alerts to be notified when a sex offender moves to your area.

Know more about your area and what's in it.

Another free site The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's has a tool that allows visitors to search a community by ZIP code for environmental facts about the area, including pollution statistics, the location of hazardous-waste sites and information about the area's watershed.

http://www.epa.gov/epahome/commsearch.htm

Another free site U.S. Census Bureau's for statistics about an area's demographics; the bureau breaks down the information easily, by city and county.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html

Janet

Comments (7)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I looked that up in my old (rough) neighborhood. There were so many around that neighborhood!!! AAAKKK! Fortunaly, there was only one (confirmed/caught person)on my immediate block.The funny thing is I was able to track down one on my block specifically. I knew who it was BEFORE I started figuring out if I was right. The house and the kids around there gave me a "funny" feeling. I told my son if he was caught going over there(even if they were the last kids avalible to play on Earth) I'd ground him for all eternity. It was a reasonable request for him to ask me why. Until I had solid proof I had to explain to him that I trusted my instincts Ie.."funny feeling" and he had to trust me.
    After I confirmed I showed him the evidence and explained that trusting your instincts was so important! It was a good way to teach a lesson in a less-than-ideal situation. PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Janet, Laurel sent to this me right before my ld computer crashed and I had honestly forgotten about it. Thanks
    I am sending it to my DD that has my grandson

Janet...12? Geez

Pj, that is creepy, I hope my area doesn't have any.
    Thanks again, jolana

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Janet - thanks so much!
    You can get a current list from the DPS website &/or your local post office.

Please, please remember that most sex offenders are NOT listed, implicated, indicted, arrested or incarcerated.
    They are not visible monsters.

They are your kid's buddies, your friends and your family.
    BUT...they are not typically someone who has many friends their own age. They don't "fit in" and they absolutely seek jobs or volunteer in places where they have access to children. They WILL use their children as a lure to gain access to yours. If that mental warning bell is going off - PAY ATTENTION!

You can't be too careful. If someone tells you that you are being overly protective - tell them to step-off!

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

PJ, you did a great job in telling your son to trust you and he listened. WOW, not many kid's do that. What was best of all you were able to show him why to trust you.
    I hate thing's like this, our kid's should not have to worry about being safe in our world.
    I have feelings too and trust them to the fullest. I didn't always though as a teen or young adult.
    Now I listen or at least try to stay on top of it.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

You can get the info from the state site also. There is one that lives right across from the elementary school 2 blocks away! I see him on his porch all the time. Creepy!
    It seems no matter where you live they are all around. Tally Ho!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Ewww Beach, I know they're everywhere! PJ

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

We are from Hamilton where Meagan Kanka was abducted and murdered by an offender in her neighborhood. My brother is a firefighter and was there searching along side the offender that blended in because no one knew to not trust him. Meagan's Law & the rest of these public notice systems are the best thing to come about. Keeps parents on their toes and keeps the creeps second guessing who knows about them.
    Isn't there a law about the weirdo living so close to a school? Hope those children's parents are aware he's there.

Way to go PJ & Thank you for posting Janet!