Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolann_z8

It's So Sad...My Computer is Dead

carolann_z8
17 years ago

My computer died a few days ago.

I'm on my bosses computer but I hope to get mine fixed soon or maybe buy a new one. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on one?

I don't know how to function without my computer. I stare at it in denial.

I miss you guys.

Sad Carol signing off

P.S. I'll trade you all of PJ's plants for a computer.

Comments (21)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Carol, I'm sorry. I don't know up there. Just start looking for ads and then research the ones you are interested in.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

What kinda puter do you need? The Lewisville (Vista Ridge) CompUSA store is closing....could be some deals there. (Guess I didn't contribute enough to their business.)

While I gotta use windoze at work, I do Mac at home. Never had a Mac die. My original one from 1992 is still in working order, although it is slow as molasses now. (smile)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

This is what I got last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: laptop

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I just got mine at Christmas.

I got an Emachine, from Gateway.

It works fine for me. Just bought the tower, because I have enough mouses, keyboards, monitors and such to open my own mouse, keyboard, monitor shop. (and I still got a new mouse and keyboard.)

Sorry about your computer.

Janie

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

CAROL, I'll ask my DH to build you one to fit your needs.PJ

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

Carol,
    I got a new (scratch and dent so very discounted) Dell for Christmas...with shipping hubby paid $349.00. It's the Dimension E521. It rocks and I got the full boat warranty too. We just went to Dell online and typed in Refurbished and followed the links...it did take a couple hours to find one at the price we wanted, but well worth it. Mine has a very small scuff on top....which I would have probably given it by now anyway.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: The details of my model

• melvalena
    17 years ago

On CarolAnn!! So sad.

You can come over here any time you want and between garden chores I'll let you surf the web!

Melvalena

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Pam told you what I was going to -- try the Dell refurbished first -- some really good buys. If you need more info, my DH can help you with it.

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

Work overtime Carol! More puter time + extra plant cash. Is your computer broken or infected? All have good virus protection? Love refurbished things, they usually get a better going over than fresh off the line.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Wish I could get you one from Intel. We've already got & given away to kids & friends on our waiting list the laptops we got in Jan. Our tour season starts in May, but I don't know whats going to be offered. If you don't have one by then, maybe George can get you one. Intel is getting stingier about giving the training compuers away or selling them cheap. They get a better tax break by donating them to schools. Another idea is I have a new desk top waiting to be built when George gets home in April. Once we get that built you can borrow the laptop I'm using now or I have an older HP desktop up in the kids room for the grandkids to play on that you can borrow now. None of the kids will be visiting till mid June.
    Come visit me this weekend or next week and take the HP home to use for a couple months till you get a new one. I don't remember if it has XP on it or is a 98.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I can't offer you a computer, but I can offer you my condolences until you get another one. What a bummer.

I heard on the news that all the Comp USA's are closing. I can understand why, because I hated going there. Their sales help was nearly non-existant, and when you could get them to help you, they did it with a sneer and disdain. At least, that was my experience whenever I went there, so I quit going to their store. That was the one in Mesquite by Town East. Others may have better employees and managers that train their employees to be nice, no matter how computer illiterate the customer is.

Good luck.

Sally

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

I have my Win 98 laptop that you can use...it has a modem and ethernet card so whichever way you go online, you would be covered. It is kinda slow, but it still works.

Pam

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Do something, we miss you, lol

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

Ew, Sally, I had the same experience at CompUSA in DeSoto or wherever it was. Ew.

Carolann, it sucks, but you can get online at the library AND look at it like when your heel falls off your shoe - you get a NEW one! Or like when your dress falls off or whatever! A new computer! Yay! 8D

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I miss the twerp too.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I came to work on my day off so I can use the computer.

To come to work on your day off just to use the computer shows you how addicting computers are.

What in the world did I do before I had one!!!

Thanks for the help and offers to loan me one. You guys rock!

No one could have better friends.

My computer got a trogan horse.

I want to try and buy a laptop Apple with Mac. I've heard that they don't get the viruses that others using Windows do.
    I don't know much about computers but I've had a worm on mine and another worldwide bug in the past 3 years so I want to try and locate one that is safer. My puter was old so I need a new one anyway.

Rick, who besides Apple uses the Mac program?

I sure miss you guys.

P.S. you'd think my house would be clean now that I have all this free time. LOL

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

If you are considering a Mac, you might want to contact or attend a Mac User group meeting in your area.

Not long ago we needed a second computer. We got a good deal on an updated desktop refurb for $300.00 from a certified Apple tech. Came with the keyboard, cordless mouse and latest OS.

Regardless of what you decide, I hope you get your computer problems settled very soon!

Here are a few links that might be useful.

Find a User group
    appleusergroups.com/locator/find/locate.cgi?state=TX

www.mugcenter.com/find-a-mac-user-group

About.com/focus on macs
    (lots of good advice in the forums!)

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Hi Carolann,

The best sources other than the Apple stores, are Fry's and Best Buy (adding), now that Comp USA has reduced their stores.

If you want to look on-line, I highly recommend the Small Dog store, http://www.smalldog.com/ , as they have better service than Apple does. They have answered some stuff for me, and I hadn't even bought my machine from them. Great people. They have a weekly newsletter, also, to keep you up to date on stuff.

You still have to be careful of web and email activity, but most attacks still target "Big Brother".

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, but I bought a new computer a couple of weeks after I posted this. I also got my old one working again and this is what I use at work.

I had a virus that Antivir didn't catch but when I downloaded the new Norton it caught it and fixed my computer.

I really appreciate your concern.

Carol Ann

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Ah, Carolann, software problems are the easiest to resolve. Send me an email if anything like that happens again...I can help and I work cheap (like for brug cuttings)

Pam

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pam, you are so nice to offer this service.

Young lady, I just need to give you some brug cuttings for being so sweet.