Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwalters7

Wow so much Happening!

Dena Walters
17 years ago

Hi all!!! I have been gone a while, just so much going on in life.

After reading everyones posts...Wow..My prayers are with everyone!!

New babies, new babies to come, good kids bad kids..LOL...goats and foals!!

Ya'll have been very busy too I see!!

Anyway just wanted to chime in and say Hi!!

Dena

Comments (24)

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Hi, Dena, glad to see you posting again. What have you been up to?

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

DENA, hi, glad you back.
    I couldn't post on conversations till now, lol
    Hope everything has settled down
    jolana

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just seemed like alot all at once, work, grandbaby, DFIL being sick and haveing to place him in an Alzheimers clinic on an emergency basis (he was getting pretty abusive towards my DMIL)
    At any rate we are now in the process of pulling out all the linoleum, carpet and tile from our entire downstairs and putting in tile (this ought to be fun!!)
    And I have 2 almost 4 mo. old baby boxers, so that now makes 4 dogs..ack!!! LOL
    Have really missed posting on here and reading about everyones days, the love and friendship!!
    Thanks Carrie and Ms. Jolana
    P.S. I did see that pond picture jolana...WOW..its just grew so much and is absolutely beautiful!!
    Dena

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Thanks Dena
    I'm glad you got things worked out with FIL
    That must have been hard

Wow, you have 4 dogs now. Cool

Are y'all doing the tile yourselves?

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ohhh heavens NO jolana...it would never get done if that were the case. We were actually gonna do the paint/stain on the concrete (a professional to do it) but when I started pulling up the carpet I noticed alot of spider cracks, so now we are going tile by a PROFESSIONAL..LOL...We do have to take every single thing that touches the floor out of our house though...we'll rent a U-Hall + our garage, that alone is an overwhelming thought, but tile is so exciting.
    With 2 puppies carpet just does not work anymore!!!
    My yard sure looks bad though...
    Dena...one thing at a time ... one thing at a time...lol!!
    I seem to lose it when I think of EVERYTHING that needs doing all at once.
    Dena

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Dena, glad you're back. Are you coming to the Mercer trade? Give up on the house and get out in the garden. It'll be so hot soon that you'll WANT to do stuff indoors.
    Congrats on the puppies. We have 4 dogs. Someone always needs to be let in or out or taken for a walk, keeps me in shape. Tally HO!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Hehehe, I agree with Tally, lol
    but carpet and 4 dogs DON"T mix. As far as I'm concerned carpet and any pets don't mix.
    We need to get our out but things keep coming up to prevent us from getting it done
    I think we have decided on the laminate and leave the tile in the kitchen and baths

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Dena, I had the paint on the concrete in my patio, and he used the cracks to make it look like rocks - pretty clever, and it turned out very nicely.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Jolana...we installed 22" tiles in dining room, kit, nook,laundry rm, master bedroom & bathroom, pow room, guest bath & family room. I love it.
    We put a very very good wood laminate in the entry hall and living room. As soon as we can afford it, it's coming up and being replaced with tile. It shows everything, easily gets dent, scratch & gouge marks. In spots where my puppies had accidents while house training, where a plant overflowed, where the puppies slopped water, etc it has swelled up and the texture is different. I hate it and it was quite expensive. If you don't look too close it looks good. I like the warm & homey look it gives the rooms, but it's only 2 year old and is already so damaged. We're pretty neat and careful too.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

UhOh, we decided after reading all kinds of good reviews.
    We had so much tile and hardwood at the other place (hardwood, hmmpft) the dogs still scratched it all up with their toenails, lol
    Maybe if we didn't play ball in the house, they wouldn't have, lol

Dena, it's a good thing you're going with tile
    Thanks Bev

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Welcome back, Dena.

We have tile and love it. I've even been known to haul the hose into the house to water plants, because I figure if I get water on the floor, it won't matter. The only problem is that dishes that are dropped are almost guaranteed to break. I don't care. I like the indestructability (sp? is that a real word?) of tile.

Sally

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Hi Dena,welcome back it's good to see you again.
    Sally don't say anything is indestructible around me cause as soon as you do I'll destroy it. We have tile in our kitchen and I have managed to put chips in a few tiles :(
    I use plastic drinking glasses only due to my clumsiness.
    Sorry to hear about your fil

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Barb, the trick is to stop hitting it with a hammer.

Sally

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH AND HAVE MISSED YOUR ALL'S SUPPORT!!! DUMMY ME!!!
    It's been really hard w/my DD thinking she does not have to work, but can live in a rent place....ACKKKKK!!!
    ANYWAY..the hardest part is it was the 1 year anniversary (should this be called an anniversary????????)
    The one year....mark?...that my DBIL killed himself....and my most precious MIL is so very very special!!!...she has been thru hell and back..and now...my most sweet FIL....Having to admit him on an emergency basis.he was just so abusive to my mom (DMIL)..I would not stand for it anymore!!!...enough...Man it has been sooo trying..sooo hard...sooo sad...soo tiresome......
    Tally, Carrie, Bev__ Sally and Barb..and Jolana..and everyone else...
    WOW ... WOW... WOW...
    Thank you all SO VERY VERY MUCH...Why Why did I stop posting on GardenWeb??...Just no time..soo many hardships at one time..
    Mis Jolana!!!...YEEEHAWWWW...beat cancer!!!..Me too!!..and Im PROUD OF IT!!!!
    We are doing the tile..sooo AGAIN I probably won't be on thru the weekend THIS coming Friday thru Sunday...we are unloading our house Friday..it will ALL be laid Sat...and IF necessary Sunday......
    Then we "reload" everything Monday......whew..IM TIRED ALREADY..but I have to find a way to keep my 4 babies occupied..ack!!..out of the house..LOL...
    It's all good..I have brand NEW CIRCLE E CANDLES "Bird of Paradise"..LOVE LOVE THEM..waiting to burn....w/o the STINKY CARPET..YEA!!!..LOL
    AGAIN....MAN I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
    I dont' know if ya'll realize how SPECIAL EACH OF YA'LL ARE!! AND HOW GOOD YOU HAVE MADE ME FEEL....YOU GIVE ME THE DRIVE TO KEEP HOPEING...TO KEEP BELIEVING .. AND TO KEEP FIGHTING......
    THANK YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!
    I REALLLY DO LOVE YOU ALL, EVENTHOUGH I'VE NEVER MET YOU..I SO APPRECIATE YOU ALL!!!
    THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
    Dena

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Dena, My DH had Alzheimer's. Fortunately he never got combative. But I understand how difficult this is for the family. It's like a different person invaded their body.

And yes, isn't it amazing to love people you have never met. I definitely feel the same way.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Same here, this is a wonderful family, and I feel so privileged to be a part of it. Dena, we love you too, and will be standing by any time you need us. Life has a way a throwing us curves when we least expect it, and that is why we have friends - they can definitely get us through some difficult times. Take care, and I am anxious to hear how you like your tile.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Dena your last posting is very humbling...thank you.
    I hope I phrased that right.
    Best of luck with your tile and all your family trials.

It is good to have such wonderful TX garden forum friends to vent to and get advice from...aren't we lucky!!!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Is it time for a group hug? (((((Texas Gardening Forum Folk)))))

I concure, Dena, that this is a very special group. Thanks for all the wonderful things you said.

Sally

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I pulled up all the carpets in the house, then painted a couple of the floors, the paint is peeling off. What the heck, one day we'll have no dogs and we'll get something done with the floors. Until then, they are sure easy to take care of and I don't worry about scratches, spills, paint or anything else.
    Tally HO!

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

I pulled up the carpets and had the concrete stained a dark reddish brown color. It has some imperfections that only I see, but the dark color hides most of them...everyone loves it! And it's so easy to clean. You'll never regret getting rid of the carpet!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Very special group, I can't think of anyone I don't like.

We etched and stained the downstairs at the last place. The concrete wasn't in too bad of shape . Typical glue marks from glue, paint spots here and there. With a bunch of sanding, it cleaned up and looked great when we finished.
    We wanted to do that here but

This house, the former people painted the concrete before the carpet.
    When they bought it, they had just started their business and were trying to save money....

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maybe I should start a new thread on this question. But I have the color of the tile I like, but...
    Which would ya'll go with...
    A smoother surface (that has been explained to me gets slick when wet)
    Or a bit more like a slate surface (not slippery when wet)???

Dena

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I've had both and I would not go with slick

I was on my butt a lot, just a little dampness on barefeet or flip flops, lol
    I don't recover as quickly and I am seriously trying to do things that will be more practical when we are older, lol

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, here's a picture of the tile I like. Our tile guy says this is one in about a 5 series of colorizations (slate look) I like the colors and the color variations.
    But look at the texture. What do you think?

{{gwi:1309590}}

Dena