Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolann_z8

Plants You Would Like to See at Our Spring Garden Gate Plant Swap

carolann_z8
17 years ago

The Spring Plant Swap is my favorite and I just can't wait!

I've been wondering what would be good to pot up and what everyone would like to have.

The plants I've enjoyed from the last plant swap are the tropicals like Plumeria and Tropicana. I think I'd like to see more tropical plants like this.

What plants would you like to see in The Garden Gate Club Spring Plant Swap?

Comments (74)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Joe, you're kidding, right? You don't think I could get on that base? LOL

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Hmmm. Well, they have allowed a number of characters to _join_ the military so I dont see why getting on the base would be anymore difficult. The more I think about it ...
    I think I will let my 5lbs guard dog out tonight. Please don't step on him, he is delicate.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Okay, Jim can go for it, I'm scared now, lol

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Shoot, I'd rather have the dog than the canna!
    Jim

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Wow! That's the biggest rodent I've seen in TX so far!!!(Sorry couldn't help myself. I'm ashamed now.)
    If y'all keep acting all crazy instead of just going up and buying plants like normal people like Carrie and I,they're not gonna let you come into the store anymore.Right Carrie? We're the normal people around here. My invisible friends always tell me so.
    That white and green canna sure would look good in my bog...hmmm... what to use....charm or stealth? I'll bet that wee fuzzy face has a soft spot for people food...PJ

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

At a different house I had passiflora vitifolia. But it bloomed in Oct. so some years we had a freeze about the time it bloomed. It was a prolific grower. DH said he was afraid to go to sleep at night, for fear it would come in the window and strangle him.

{{gwi:1309847}}

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, that's beautiful.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Kathy, I had 2 that I have had for years but kept them in pots till we were in the forever home, lol
    Well, I bet you can guess what happened to them, lol
    Carolann had a picture of one that she got or I had posted one time and put it in the NameThat Plant game on her garden site.
    I was looking at it and thinking, man, hers is planted just like mine are, all around the outside ac unit. Then it dawned on me....that's my flower, lol
    She's a stinker, lol

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That was funny Jolana.

I sure had you going!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

You did, I still laugh when I think of it, lol

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are directions to the plant swap.
    I've had several people ask for directions to the plant swap and it's a good thing they didn't map it on the internet because both mapquest and yahoo maps have it wrong. They both say to take Thousand Oaks to Yvonne Dr. but Thousand Oaks is a deadend street.
    Here are directions to the plant swap from Loop 820 in Ft. Worth.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO THE PLANT SWAP

DO NOT TRY AND USE THE MAPS ON THE INTERNET OR YOUÂLL GET LOST Map quest and Mapit both have it wrong.

From 820 in Ft. Worth you turn onto I-35W south, head south and stay on I-35W until you see the Hwy 174 Cleburne exit. This will be in Burleson. Head south on Hwy 174 (which is also called Wilshire Blvd) until you come to Joshua. When you come up a small hill, youÂll see an Assembly of God church on the right. In front of the church is Main St. Take Main St. and go three streets down to Yvonne Dr. ItÂs the 7th house on the left 1011 Yvonne Dr. Look for the birdhouse mailbox. If you have any questions or get lost then call me Carol 817 447-3438. ItÂs real easy to find.

• txcountrygirl
    17 years ago

I'm hoping to see some ground cover at the plant swap.

I would also like some vines.

The last plant swap I came back with enough plants to fill a large bed.

Can't wait!!!!

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Now that I know what station Joe is at we can go get his plants :)
    I have a card to get on base hehehehe....... Joe never think your safe with us gals around LOL.
    Ok, ladies whos with me on getting Joe's plants?

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I'm in, lol
    I'll be some plants to put in there place, lol

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Are these going to be Texas natives, Jolana? I can help with those......

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Cannas, lol pretty, pretty cannas at Zitro Joes, lol
    We're gonna be busy, lol

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I am very good at digging cannas - can do it quickly.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Well okay then.

As Billy used to say, when he was 3 (don't have a clue where he got it) Hot dog baby, let's go, lol
    jolana

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, don't forget me.

I'll bring the shovel.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Carolann, did you get a computer? We won't forget you

• LaurelLily
    17 years ago

For the swap I attended, vines were extremely popular. Brugs are very easy to swap, and ridiculously easy to propagate. Varigated plants were easily swapped, too. Personally, I'd love to get a little three-piece set of butterfly/caterpillar host plants. I got some milkweed at the swap and I love it--I'm now actively trying to raise caterpillars, instead of just enjoying the occasional few Swallowtail caterpillars on my parsley. So if anybody has host plants that are easily propagated--bring those! LOL

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

LAUREL!!!! Hello, I'm so glad you are back, I have missed you
    jolana

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, Laurel is back and posting on my thread.

We sure have missed you.

I like all your suggestions.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Duh! I totally forgot! Pond/bog plants!!! TX star hibiscus,pickerel weed,Arrowhead,horsetail rush,cattails(I'll be sure and pot them up w/o drainage holes!),/Elephant Ears,Cannas(yep), Ruellia,wood violets and button bush.PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ, I have part of what you're looking for and if I go see my brother then I may be able to bring some pond plants back. He has all kinds of pond plants in his huge pond and he has to thin them out each spring.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

:^) That would be perfect!!! Thanks! PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're welcome, little missy.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

No one happens to have actual wild roses in a pasture or anything that cool do they? Anyone? Anyone? I'd just love a wild,pink rose!!!PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have knockout roses. The name sounds a little wild.

"Red Knockout"

See how wild it sounds.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ, at my office there are wild roses that have been there probably since the house was built and it's a very old place. They bloom all the time and never get any care.

I can take a cutting for you.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

:^) You're so funny! Maybe if I ever actually take my Martial Arts seriously enough to tournament I'll take that as a nickname! "Knockout rose PJ". Ok that's a bit goofy.
    I'd love a cutting of those wild roses. I wish I'd gone to your brother's on that tour. I'd love to see the roses too!PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maybe one day we'll drive over to see his gardens. He has an acre full of plants and a pond with streams running through it.

Terry (TxGL) lives fairly close and she has a gorgeous yard too. I loved her area that was full of Oak Leaf Hydrangea. She made me want to plant some so I started a bed of them.

That's whats good about garden tours, you get ideas.

Oh yes and I'll take rose cuttings for you.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I'm going to find a way to steal Terry's pond! Wouldn't it be nice to have a stream? *sigh* I'd do everything I could to attract Wood ducks.PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ, the Terry with the pond lives down the street but TXGL lives near Waxahatchie.

Two Terrys is confusing.

I think my DD has some wood ducks. They're duck decoys. Will these do?

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Naw, I'd rather have real ducks! I know what I DON'T want! Tornadoes!!! OMG this is gonna take some getting used to. PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ, just click your red shoes together and say...there's no place like home...there's no place like home!

Don't forget to look for Susan's sister. Your house may fall on her. lol

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Red shoes are too hard to match! I'll need your help. Does Susan like her sister or should I be worried? LOL!PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I read on one of the threads that a house fell on Susan's sister.

BTW, Susan posted it.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Yep, it was something about her temper being like a tornado! I remember it well! :^) PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I want a Lime Zinger Elephant Ear and Jolana wants a Sunburst Passion Vine.

Anyone bringing any?

Anyone....Anyone

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

Hey now, I was peeking to see who was getting what and here is my flying monkey, basket on my bike story getting flung about. Wish I could go to the swap instead of watching it from crystal globe in my castle. muhahahhahha

Tornadoes are more fun when the weatherman says "everyone in limestone county should prepare......" never know what he said 'cause electric went out! Prepare a celebration dinner cuz it missed you? prepare emergency kit cuz it's gonna hurt?

=D

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Ok! I have a newbie question too! Ok it snows less than an inch. For most people in my little neighborhood the store is in walking distance. That store was jam packed with people getting ready for the "shut in" from the "snow storm" WAY ahead of time. The streets were totally empty that day. BTW, the snow melted the next day.
    They have an actual storm with possible tornadoes,a torrential down pour and lots of flooded out areas. The makings of a real natural disaster...
    Nobody even gives it a second thought unless their house actually floods. People were driving around like normal and saying stuff like,"Lots of rain were having..." I'm SO confused!!!PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ, I guess we've had so many tornado threats here that we get used to it but ice is another thing. No one in Texas knows how to drive on ice.
    We do know how to run and get in a closet with lots of pillows.

Every time my power goes off I do the dumbest things. Last time it went off I thought I'd see what time it is so I remembered my mantle clock that you wind up.

Look at that clock I thought....so I turned the light switch on to look at the time. lol

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Yeah I figured as much. The newbies(me,my kids and dogs...DH is always calm.... ) were panic striken and couldn't understand why no one was panicked with them!!! You must eat a lot of carrots Carolann! LOL! PJ

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Pictures of my tiny bog/pond which this year will be all bog is on gallery! This is why I was asking about bog plants I NEED WAY MORE!!! (Isn't that the truth about plants???) PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I saw, there's no such thing as too many plants.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Yep! Spoken like a true plant-o-holic!!! LOL!PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was really tired when I wrote that!

It should say "I say...

Today after work I run outside and started digging up all sorts of plants to make room for the hostas I bought.

I'm adding them to the Round Robin Game.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

You just reminded me I have Hostas!!! They're coming up but a bit crowded by other plants...plants that I can take to the swap! Brilliant I say, brilliant!LOL!PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Why PJ, I think I see a light bulb over your head.

You are brilliant!!!