Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justintx_gw

hummer showed up

justintx
16 years ago

Saw my first hummer (black-chinned), just now!

Had my feeders out maybe a week - much later than last year.

J.D.

Comments (10)

• melvalena
    16 years ago

YAYYYYYY!

I saw another one today too! Haven't seen any at the feeders yet.. just see them buzzing through. Was yours at a feeder?

I can't wait for them to all make it back.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

You guys are just making up stories --- I haven't seen any hummers yet. I not only have my feeders up, I also have salvia blooming -- what's up with those birds anyway?????

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd post a picture for proof, but ya'll wouldn't believe me anyway.
    ; - )
    He came to my feeder. None of my salvia are blooming yet. My flame acanthus is just now 'greening' up at the base. BTW - should I trim off the dead stuff back to the ground on the Flame acanthus?
    J.D.

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

Here about 25 miles south of Waco we saw our first hummingbird last week (about March 25). We put out a feeder and saw a red-throated yesterday, March 30. Time to get out the other feeders!
    Our salvia is in bloom, and he/she was sipping on it, also the Mexican honeysuckle. Our flame acanthus is showing a lot of green, at the base and on branches, too. It is a young plant, so I won't cut it back severely. Do what you wish, J.D. If you want it bushy, cut back the upper branches. If you want a more open effect, leave them and see what shows new growth. It is hard to make a mistake with flame acanthus!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

My flame anacanthus loves me :). It has tons of babies!!!! I want an anacanthus hedge and this is a good start. I cut mine back (it's 3 )where I want it bushy and left to grow naturally where I want height.
    NO hummers. I have blooming Salvia too. Boo hoo!PJ

• Bev__
    16 years ago

A few days ago I saw one diving into a pot of artificial flowers I have hanging on my patio.
    My feeders have been out about a week. I haven't seen any at the feeders, but one feeder level is a bit lower than it was.

• necia
    16 years ago

I'm up in Wichita Falls. Saw my first hummer yesterday on my pink Salvia Greggii. I saw it again today on one of my feeders. Yay!

Necia

• carrie751
    16 years ago

They are avoiding me this year, little stinkers !!!!

• denisew
    16 years ago

The only hummers I have seen so far this year are the kind with four wheels! ;-) Hopefully they will start showing up soon. My autumn sage is just starting to bloom and I have pineapple sage in the back with a few flowers on it.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

MY HUMMERS ARE BACK!!!!!

The first one I saw up close followed me into the garage and when I turned around we scared each other!

Then a few minutes later, I was sitting in my usual spot where I can see 4 feeders (in different parts of the yard) and one came up and hovered about 2 feet away checking me out. Even when I said 'hello there' he/she didn't flinch. That's how I know these are MY hummers, they are not afraid of me and they appreciate me keeping the feeders clean and fresh.

I've seen one keep buzzing my back yard now for about 3 minutes.

I'm so happy! My HUMMERS ARE BACK!