Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Ft Worth Botanic Garden Spring Plant Sale Sat. March 31

sylviatexas1
17 years ago

Dress comfortably & *get there early*!

Every plant you see will be big & healthy & you'll want it & all its friends!

but so will everybody else, so, really, *Get there early*!

(duh, don't know yet what "early" means, 'cause they haven't posted the hours yet.

It seems like, in years past, that it officially started at maybe 8:30 AM.

& traffic is heavy & the parking lots get filled up quickly on Plant Sale days, so you may have to walk some distance, so...*get there early*!.)

Comments (7)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Hey...that's by where I run... I'll be dressed a bit funny(compression tights,running shoes and an Ipod) but I'll be there early! LOL!!PJ

• toadlilly
    17 years ago

9a-2p! Sounds fun-CJ

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Mom and I will be going....well she may decide not to when I tell her what time I want to get there ;0. But if anyone thinks they might want to have lunch or something afterwards, let me know. There are some decent restaurants in that area. We could just pick a time to meet at a particular area at the sale after we decimate the plant displays :).

Sylvia, can you give us an idea of what types of plants we may be able to scarf up?

Kristi

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think they grow everything themselves & offer only the things that do well here.

Some that I remember seeing in the past are white butterfly ginger & evergreen wisteria, but there're *tons* of plants, & they're all biggies, easier to transplant.

Parking is crowded, & you need to be prepared to haul stuff or bring a cart.

There's a restaurant there in the Botanic Gardens, never been to it, as it looks like white cloth napkins & waiters kind of place, & every time I'm at the BG I'm always in baggy shorts & rubber shoes!

& there's a tea room, probably a leetle more casual, in the Montgomery Street Antique Mall, at the northeast corner of I-30 & Montgomery.

Somewhere down there is a French bakery that I *think* has dining area. It's south of I-30, seems like Montgomery (or University?) slews around to the west, & this is on the right side as you head west.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

OH YEAH, I went in the fall and loved it but I should have brought my wagon at least.
    Hope I can go to this one. BTW, The plants go very fast and rain does not stop the die hard gardeners :)
    Thank u Sylvia for the heads up on the sale.

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

There's a place on University called J&J Oyster Bar
    Address:612 N University Dr, Fort Worth, TX 76114
    Phone:(817)335-2756
    Ahem. Had to look that up. I love it. VERY casual.

There's an antique store that backs up (sort of) to the overoverflow parking for the botanic gardens on Montgomery. They used to have a lunch/tea place.

Swiss Pastry Shop is on Vickery. You just head south on Montgomery, and veer right on Vickery and it's on your right. They have lunch, and horribly good pastries.

If you want to venture down Camp Bowie, there are lots of other places. I like Zeke's for fried fish and everything else fried. They have an outdoor patio that is loverly. It's past the intersection of I-30 and Camp Bowie, on the right, which would be about North.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

"I like Zeke's for fried fish and everything else fried"

LOVE that place! Have been going there since I was a girl, but haven't been in a while. Montgomery St. Cafe (I think) has great home style food.

Kristi