Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese lantern big no/no?

Posted by texasorbust 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 17:09

Watching that what seeds are you sowing thread on discussions carefully because I don't know what it's too late for before satan breathes on my yard in the heat. See someone just threw out some chinese lantern seeds, they look interesting and I have them in my like to try just a little of them brain file. Find a ton of conflicting posts about them.....in 8Azone will they be ....Ohhh look at those or will they be......send help i planted an invasive? This is of course assuming that I could actually get them to grow to begin with, hehe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese lantern big no/no?

I have had both and ***for me*** they haven't been
in Houston they were for youngest DD but easy to pull

This one wasn't invasive in Houston
http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/p1/gw1092295.html

I believe you are talking about this one tho and I have heard people say that but not for me
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/30524/

o

Well, the rain might make it a little worse for wear, right now. (smile) Paper and water don't mix well.

o

Hahahaha, I think Rick should be called goober and not me anymore, lol

o

Seems to me, that was the Pyle family. (smile) Seems like that was a spin-off from Andy Griffith's Mayberry. Ya'all know where Mayberry is?

o

I think they were supposed to be in the Carolina's, North?
Is there really a Mayberry?

o

Yup. Mayberry, NC, which is in the north central part of the state. Too small to show up on web maps. (smile)

o
Invasive plants.

Oh....I have decided that most plants are invasive, some are just worse than others. (grin)

I already have to thin the liriope, contain the mondo grass, prune off the crossvine shoots, prune back the pink indigo, prune the fringeflower regularly, prune the stone pine annually, cut back the asian jasmine, etc.

Anything that grows will either grow taller than claimed, wider than claimed (or both), or will be an invasive spreader.

So......buy good tools, and keep 'em sharp.

So, most of gardening, after planting, is pruning, trimming, and shaping, which is a continuous practice.

o

Chinese lantern had both.... Chinese lanterns have long been used in homes to commemorate traditional festivals and other special occasions. Popular paper lanterns are used as decoration and lighting for events of all kinds and seasons and for complete line of Chinese and Japanese paper lanterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese paper lantern

o

I don't know about the invasivness <-- (is that a real word?) of this plant, but I will soon find out. I have one or 2 growing on my place at Aransas Pass. It looks like it may have mature seeds soon.
pa

o

johnas , I see that you are really a newbee. I hope you have more to contribute to the forum other than advertisements.
welcome aboard. Show us your plant pictures. we like pictures.
pa

o

Do these grow well in pots? I'm going to pick some ripe seed pods during my stay in A/P the last week of Jan.
pa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here